Tube Fex & Trans Tube Fex For steel?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lyndel Anderson

Tube Fex & Trans Tube Fex For steel?

Post by Lyndel Anderson »

I found 2 trans tube fexs & 1 tube fex at the local pawn shops. Are they used for steel and what do they do? They are asking $150 each, would take probably $120. I know they could have the battery leaking problem, but they said they would open them up and check with me. Interested in forum memebers thoughts on these. Thanks
Dennis Ellerbee

Peavey

Post by Dennis Ellerbee »

$120.00 for each is a good price if they are in good working condition. They are effects units that a lot of steel players use. They can do multiple effects. The presets are not the best for steel, but if you can find the Jeff Newman presets for it, it is a great effects unit.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I have a couple of Transtube/TubeFex programs for steel on my web site. The Newman programs do not use the Analog (and Tube) preamps in these units. Although the unit is backward compatible (mostly) with the older Profex II, which the Newman programs were written for, I never found them satisfactory with my TransTube Fex.

http://www.gulfcoaststeelguitar.com/fex.htm

I would check them out to see if they power on and work. There is a battery backup inside for the user memory and those batteries can carrode and leak out on the printed circuit and can damage them beyond repair. If they are still good or the battery hasn't damaged the circuit board, Ken Fox (a forum member) can modify the units with a "batteryless" memory chip (he may sell the chip as a kit). That is the best thing to do if they work.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

As others have said - if they're not messed up due to battery damage or some other issue, they sound great. Lots of us have various presets for them, I still use my Tubefex regularly.

Definitely - check to make sure they work properly, look for battery damage, and get the batteryless mod if you buy one. If that's all jake, you should be good to go. I don't leave home without mine.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

These are a great prices on both of these units and they are great for steel. There are some instances of battery leakage, but it's rare that it results in damage to the circuit board. If they are offering to open the units then you can quickly see if there is any damage. If you notice battery leakage simply scrape it off with a toothpick and you will be able to see if it has damages any parts of the board. Leakage doesn't automatically equate to damage!
Ernie Dunlap

Tubefex

Post by Ernie Dunlap »

WHAT EFFECTS PROCESSOR HAS TAKEN ITS PLACE
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Peavey doesn't have any programmable replacement model.

I used to have a Transtube Fex and sold it when I sold my rack system.

I'm using a POD XT and it will do everything the Transtube Fex would do plus more.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Hate to disagree, but i see many of these thru my shop and circuit baord damage is very common in all these units.

two recent examples:

Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

But Ken... That sure is a pretty shade of blue :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.