PICK UP. SHO-BUD PRO 1 Question....

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Hartley

PICK UP. SHO-BUD PRO 1 Question....

Post by David Hartley »

I have an original re-wound sho bud pick up on my pro 1.
It's magnet poles are not, and have never been properly in line with the strings and it is very lively and there's an audible thump when I block hard over the pick up.

Therefore, before I come to Dallas, what do you suggest I replace it with that will be easy to fit and hopefully available at one of the vendors stalls at the show. There's always a possibility one of you have something suitable and for sale yourself maybe?

You know I like the George L 10-1 and maybe this is the choice but I don't want to lose that ShoBud sound and lose any of the crisp cutty highs which the original has.

Any ideas will be welcome..

I was also thinking about NOT screwing the pickup into the body of the guitar with the existing 2" screws so as to maybe eliminate that pedal pattle sound that is currently coming through the amp but nowhere near as bad now I have the pedal stop screws with the nylon tips. Perhaps mounting it with a glue onto a rigid rubber or foam pad? I am sure this has been tried and tested by someone on the forum.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

See some of you soon in Dallas.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

David, check your email. :)
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"~old cowboy proverb.
shobud@windstream.net
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

Would an Alumitone pickup fit in a Shobud?

I shoe-horned an Alumitone into my Marlen, and I've finally found the pickup that has eluded me for 30 years :D

Single-coil tone, with no hum.

I'm looking for another Alumitone now, for my Emmons PP :D
David Hartley

Post by David Hartley »

richard burton wrote:Would an Alumitone pickup fit in a Shobud ?

Perhaps someone has the answer here?
Patrick Laffrat

Post by Patrick Laffrat »

Hello Dave,
I have a Bill Lawrence 710 on my Sho Bud pro I. No problem for installing and it sounds great.

Glenn Uhler

Post by Glenn Uhler »

Hello David,
This is the first time I have contacted you on the Forum. I'm a new member.
Many guitar pickups are mounted on springs; this might help with the blocking noise. My Marlen pickup is on springs, and I added round rubber washers (like those used in faucets) under the mounting plate. I don't hear any microphonics at all when I tap the pickup.

Also, sensitive pickups can detect almost any moving metal in their vicinity. Unless there is a shield under the pickup, it could even pick up a moving bellcrank or rod inside the guitar.

Perhaps you could turn the pickup end for end to get the poles to line up better. For me, it was just a matter of modifying the plastic mounting plate underneath slightly to make the poles line up.
Bill Stroud

Alumitone PU

Post by Bill Stroud »

Hi Richard I sell the Alumitone pickups and I will be taking some to Dallas in March.
Let me know if interested
email me at bjsbars@frontiernet.net
Bill Stroud

Alumitone

Post by Bill Stroud »

The pickup measurements are 1.500 wide x 3 7/8" long x 7/8" depth, now David check the measuements and see if it will fit if so I'll have you one in Dallas.
I just went out and open a box and measured it.
Thanks,
Bill
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

At first glance, it would appear that the Alumitone pickup (width 1 1/2") will not fit into the Marlen slot (width 1 3/8"), until you see an Alumitone.

The top of the pickup is indeed 1 1/2" wide, but lower down it is 1 5/16" wide, so will fit in a narrower slot.
Bill Stroud

Measurement

Post by Bill Stroud »

Richard you are right the top is what I measured just want to make sure that it would fit into the opening, the bottom is smaller as you stated.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

David,
I will have a couple narrow mount tonealigners with me in Dallas if you want to check one out. I'll wind one to sho bud specs just in case. I'll be helping out Eric at the Tribotone table when I'm not wandering around.
Bob
Randy Wade

Post by Randy Wade »

If you put a GeorgeL in there it will be very quiet and will not be microphonic at all. The 10-1 may be wound a little heavy for you at 19.5K if you like a brighter sound,so maybe a TW wound at 18.6 or an EON at 17.5?
Mark Butcher

Post by Mark Butcher »

I made a simple aluminium plate with holes for the ShoBud mount screws and springs and holes to mount this E66 on the plate.

No hum and sounds good to me.

Mark

Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

E66 sounds killer in a SHO-BUD, plenty of highs, no noise.
A.K.A Chappy.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

You can send me the old pickup if you're throwing it away...
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I'd keep it original & have it rewound by Jerry Wallace.