'No, Not the pedal steel guitar, I hate that instrument'

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Perlowin

'No, Not the pedal steel guitar, I hate that instrument'

Post by Mike Perlowin »

On Monday, February 21, I have an audition of a slot on a program with a community symphony orchestra. The conductor is known for bringing in and featuring people who play new and unusual instruments, which is why he was recommended to me as somebody I should talk to.

But as soon as I said the words “pedal steel guitar,” he became extremely negative, saying that it was only a country instrument and was totally inappropriate for playing classical music. He actually used the phrase "No, Not the pedal steel guitar, I hate that instrument," and said that he "...does not want to hear it."

He doesn’t even want me to audition, and has pretty much guaranteed that no matter what I do, he’s not going to give me the gig. The only reason he consented to let me audition in the first place is that I dropped the name of the violist in my chamber music trio on him and she is so widely respected that he had to give his consent.

There is a word to describe this attitude: prejudice. The word means to pre-judge something without having all or even any of the information needed to make that judgment. The word is usually reserved for people who harbor negative attitudes about people who are in some way different from themselves, like those of a different race or religion. But it’s possible to pre-judge anything, and in this case, the guy has pre-judged me on the basis of the fact that I play the pedal steel guitar, which he does not consider a serious musical instrument.

I’m really ticked off by his attitude, and I’m temped to tell him to stick his audition where the sun doesn’t shine, if you know what I mean. But I’m going to make nice to him and do the audition anyway. I have 3 reasons.

#1, I just may change his mind. The guy has never heard and kind of steel playing except on country records. We’ve all heard the expression that there’s no fanatic like a convert. If I can convert him, I’ll have an ally.

#2, This will be my first time playing with a symphony orchestra. It is bound to be a learning experience of some sort. I will undoubtedly learn something that will help me in the future.

#3, Even if I don’t get the gig, I will be introducing myself and the steel to the musicians in the orchestra. If I make a good impression on them, it will help the next time I do this.

Even if I don’t get the gig, it’s still a worthwhile thing to do. But I hate it that the guy has such a negative impression about our instrument, and is so pre-judgmental. :x
Last edited by Mike Perlowin on 13 Feb 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
b0b

Post by b0b »

Maybe you could double on banjo. :twisted:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Chris Tweed

Post by Chris Tweed »

Just don't call anything there a "fiddle" :\
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

I think Roy Clark may have given country music in general a bad name when he played "OBS" on the "fiddle" with the Boston Pops. :roll:
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Tim Hurst

Post by Tim Hurst »

Yes, but I also saw Mark O'Conner play OBS with the Pops, and when he was finished the concertmaster was beaming from ear to ear and pumping his hand in an obvious gesture of admiration.
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

It's unfortunate that Buddy or someone else of his caliber (and who would that be?) never had the opportunity, AFAIK, to showcase the steel guitar in such a setting. Maybe the conductor Mike alludes to hasn't heard Buddy's Pachabel thing.
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

Hey Mike:

Clearly the conductor hasn't heard your stuff or BJ Cole's or any pedal steel that isn't "twang oriented." Too bad he has such limited listening habits and apparently a rather closed mind...

Could it be that the conductor of a "community symphony orchestra" has sort of "complex" about who he is, what he does and the type(s) of music he presents? Perhaps a bit too much self importance? But then, who cares...its his problem not yours.

I suggest you do the audition and blow the collective minds of the orchestra and conductor. Then, let them know that you'd be happy to do the gig...in a couple of years, when they catch up to you.
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Pig-headed ignorance is a phrase I'd use.
Give 'im hell, Mike!

Arch.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

HOW can a conductor of a symphony orchestra think that ANY instrument capable to produce any and all 12 semi-tones could be limited to only one musical idiom?

Tell you what. I know you like to play bare-feet or in sneakers... but THIS time, bring yer cowboy boots and kick some A$$, Mike.

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Hang in there Mike. Let 'em have it with both barrels. Jody.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to be an educator, Mike. Go have fun doing what you like to do and either this character will wake up to his own ignorance or those around him will!
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

This is outrageous. Do keep us posted of the outcome.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

You might want to throw some information in the pile, like all of the "non-traditional" steel work Jay Dee has done, or the same for the steeler (whose name I can't remember but whose dossier is quite extensive, maybe it was B J Cole) that did work on Elton John's tunes.
Lawyers are done: Emmons SD-10, 3 Dekleys including a D10, NV400, and lots of effects units to cover my clams...
Whip Lashaway

Post by Whip Lashaway »

Mike, option #4. Show up, WOW him with you're misical prowiss, then turn him down! Tell him that a symphony is just to restricting. The pedal steel guitar demands creative freedom and obviously a conductor with his limited experience could not possibly understand the capabilities of such an exotic instrument :P God Bless you Mike and good luck whatever you decide, Whip.
Whip Lashaway
Sierra E9/B6 12 string
Sierra E9/B6 14 string
Excel S12 8x9 blue
Excel S12 8x9 black
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

GO Mike! I'm sure you can "Bach" 'em into a corner!

Seriously, Forum members should be aware of the real excellence of your work.

With all due respect to Buddy Emmons (and he is due all respect) his version of the Pachobel always sounded to me like a valiant attempt to make an "inappropriate" instrument work in that setting. Interesting, but a mere curiosity. (I was coming from the point of view of a classical guitar player who has struggled with a similar perception for much of classical material converted to guitar.)

The performances of yours I've heard thoroughly integrate the pedal steel into the timbre and style of the music.

Hey, try Gaspar Sans on an old Silver National. I have...it sounds eerily authentic!
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
Keith Currie

Post by Keith Currie »

Mike
Tell the guy it is not a steel guitar but just a Horizontal Pitch Approximater.
Keith
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Maybe a "dollars worth of dime knots" on his head will change his mind :P Seriously though, go for it Mike, he just might change his mind when he hears what a steel guitar is capable of.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

The conductor exists in a world where an entirely different set of disciplines are the order of the day. There aren't many steel players who could conform to those rigid boundaries.

Even if he'd heard guys that we consider master players cutting loose on some comparatively complex music it would still, in his mind, represent improvisational playing. That is not what he's used to dealing with, and probably not what he believes he wants.

I've encountered prejudice in 'conventional' musical settings; as often as not I've found that it was justified! :oops:
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Tracy Sheehan

Re:

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

Mike. If it was me i would not let it up set me. Some people hate the sound of the banjo. When i was playing steel in Billings Mt.back in the 60s one club owner hated fiddle. Some people do not like the sound of horns,ect.

Thats just the way it is. tracy
Tracy Sheehan

P.s.

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

Made my living for over 50 years playing mostly steel and believe me,many people do not care for the sound of one no matter what style played. I played in one band where the club owner would not let us use our great sax player.

Just the way it is. It is up to the orchestra leader to hire what he likes so i would not take it personal.
Also back in the early 70s club owners in Wa.state and Oregan would not hire a band that had a steel guitar. I bought a leslie,covered the front of the steel and the club owners thought i was playing an organ. Our booking agent kept booking us in those states.

As is said,it has been a heck of a ride :)
Scott Malchow

Post by Scott Malchow »

Mike,
I think you are absolutely right to go through with the audition. Enjoy it-learn from it-it will be great to play with a large group and meet new musicians.
Don't spend one ounce of energy trying to change the conductor's mind- his ego will probably prevent him from
changing his prejudices, anyway.

Take the high road-Be proud-(and show him a thing or two-whether he can admit it or not!)
Keep us posted.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Mike, why not give him one of your excellent CDs, with plenty of examples of great classical steel guitar?

When people say to me, "isn't that a country instrument?" I say, "it's got all the same notes as any other instrument - it's all in what you do with them."
b0b

Post by b0b »

Bryan Daste wrote:I say, "it's got all the same notes as any other instrument -
... and then some! ;-)
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

J D Sauser wrote:I know you like to play bare-feet or in sneakers...
J D, I don’t know where you got the impression that I play barefoot or in sneakers. You must have me confused with somebody else. I always play in soft-soled moccasins. (I have a pair that are dyed black in case I ever have to play in a tuxedo.)
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Bryan Daste wrote:Mike, why not give him one of your excellent CDs, with plenty of examples of great classical steel guitar?
I've already done that Bryan. I sent him all 3, but I don't think the guy listened to them.