Tim Sergent with Dierks Bentley

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Swain

Post by John Swain »

The Dierks Bentley band appeared on "Artist's Den" on PBS last night..Although I'm not crazy about the music, the band is tight and Tim Sargent does an outstanding job on his Jackson D10, banjo and dobro!! Great playing and the cameras stayed on him quite alot( even during the lead guitar parts LOL!)Tim was up in the mix and got great tone .Hid dobro was loud and clear and banjo came across better than most.Tim how do you amplify the banjo and dobro?
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

John, Tim is a great friend of mine. He plays a Jackson Pro IV, in addition to banjo and dobro. He's also got a Jackson Blackjack Custom too. Tim is a great player for sure!

Brett
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

Never met him but I totally respect his playing....Good picker...
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Tim is a great person, great picker. Plays nearly any instrument very well !!! He will appreciate your kind words..
Hook
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

Thanks, John. I do indeed appreciate the kind words. I haven't seen the Artist Den show, but I think I was playing the Shot Jackson Commemorative that was Johnny Cox's guitar while David and Harry were building my Pro IV.

As for the banjo and dobro...I'm plugging straight into a direct box on both instruments. My banjo has a Rare Earth pickup in it and the dobro is a Fluger. It's not an acoustic dobro. Meant strictly to be plugged in. It has that Marrs Cat Can in it along with a George L pickup. It's the best dobro sound I've heard for loud stage volumes.

Take care,

Tim
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

Thanks for the reply, Tim. I agree that dobro sounds great amplified that way. And the banjo had quality tone in the mix. Keep picken'..JS
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

I think Tim could play a cigar box with rubber bands on it and make it sound good!
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Darrell Schmidt

Tim Sergent

Post by Darrell Schmidt »

Direks Benly is at Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake,Iowa in April and show is already sold out and I just found out about it.It sure did not take long,so I guess I will not go.Glad steel is alive
Darrell Schmidt

Post by Darrell Schmidt »

Dierks Bently is playing at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake ,Iowa in April and is sold out already,so I guess i will not go listen to Tim.Glad to see steel is still alive .Maybe he is not playting with him there?
Darrell
Robert Kazee

Tim Sergent

Post by Robert Kazee »

I have watched and listened to Timmy since he was a young boy playing Banjo at the Rockdale Jamboree, I gurantee he could play a cigar box if he wanted too. He has made all of us from his hometown proud to know him.

Drew Kazee
Brad Issendorf

Post by Brad Issendorf »

The band that I play in all got tickets to the Clear Lake, IA show and are all going together. I sure hope its a full band show cause Tim's playing is the primary reason I am going along. Should be a great show in a smaller venue. Can't wait.
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

Darrel & Brad,
I will be in Iowa on the 23rd with Dierks at the Surf Ballroom.

Elton,
Oh how I wish that were true! Very nice of you to say that. Thanks.

Robert,
Great to hear from you. Rockdale Jamboree seems like about 4 years ago. In truth...it's been nearly 40!! I still have that big trophy from that banjo contest I won out there when I was 9 years old. It was filled with 200 silver dollars. Wish I still had those. I would imagine a few of them might have been worth something today, but I guess I'll never know.

Take care,

Tim