John Campbell, Designer of the Webb Amplifier

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Greg Lasser

John Campbell, Designer of the Webb Amplifier

Post by Greg Lasser »

John Campbell of Antioch California died today, 2/08/2011, of respiratory failure.

John was the chief architect and guiding light of the legendary Webb Steel Guitar Amplifier. He was one of the finest lead guitar players in the San Francisco Bay Area and a great friend to steel players everywhere. Although he didn't play steel himself, he was a great champion of the instrument and a familiar presence at Scotty's convention in St. Louis.

Throughout the 1970's he sold steel guitars at Webb's Music in Antioch to many players. If it weren't for John, many of us Northern California steel players would never have gotten started.

He was also a great and knowledgeable guy and a good friend. He will be missed by many.
Last edited by Greg Lasser on 10 Feb 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I knew John and am saddened to hear this terrible news.

Back in the mid 70's, I bought the Kline PSG I used to have through him and Webb's Music. I also had him build me (what he said was the first) 614-E amp head. I remember spending hours at the store talking with John. I wish I would have kept in touch with him.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I haven't seen him in years, but John was always friendly and outgoing. He was a great engineer - my Webb amp still sounds wonderful after 33 years of use and abuse.

I'm real sorry to hear that he's gone. My condolences to his friends and family.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Sad news, I played lots of gigs with John back in the day, great guy, and a brilliant mind.condolences to the family...
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Great guy, excellent picker, and the best salesman I've ever met. He had that rare ability to make you want to buy from him. He never bullsh*tted you and always got you something you could use. As Greg says, John was a true friend of steel guitar, and owned a few of them over the years and was a closet steel picker. Webbs was the place in the Delta area, but pickers would drive up from the Bay Area to buy from John.

One of his favorite things was to sit back and listen to Tom Brumley play with Buck, and marvel about how great it all was. He would also tell me stories about the '50s when the Four Corners area of West Pittsburg, CA was unincorporated and wide open. There were bands in every club, liquor, gambling, and no law! The cops would have to come from Richmond if really needed (when someone got stabbed). John was under age, but making good money playing five nights a week. Now of course, it's all suburbia, with nary a club to be found.

RIP. Another good man is gone.

Joe
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Wow, I have not heard from John in many years.
He set me up as a Webb artist and dealer when the 614E first came out.

I remember the first amp I received quit on me the first time out. I called John the next day (a Saturday). He had me take the amp apart and did some trouble shooting over the phone.

Diagnosed the problem and over nighted me the part. By Monday noon my amp was back in business.

A REALLY good one gone now.

Rest in Peace
Tom Bradshaw

John Campbell Passing

Post by Tom Bradshaw »

All the previous recollections and remarks about John are true. He and I were friends for 40+ years. I particularly liked John because he had a definite point of view about most everything. He was always helpful to me and eager to answer my questions about all aspects of Webb Music and Webb Amplifiers history. He and I collaborated on the original Webb amp handbook right after Jim Webb began offering "The Steel Guitar Amp" (most often referred to as the 6-14E, but that "model" was the title for the pre-amp in all Webb amps). That was back in the late '70s. That led to my becoming a retailer of the Webb.

In about 1984 it became apparent that Webb amp production was going to have to cease. I expressed interest in buying the amp side of Jim Webb's business. John supported me in that. He felt the amp needed an additional capitol infusion in order to survive. Jim just couldn't bring himself to part with his "baby". Thus, production stopped for about 10 years, then re-started in about 1994. Amps were delivered thereafter until about 2003. Jim had been in failing health nearly all his adult years, but seemed to alway hang on, until the late '90s.

When Jim passed away a few years later, it was John who gave me a call and told me that Jim's daughter wanted to sell the Webb name and the entire inventory then in stock. He interceded for me and helped convince the daughter that I was the right person to own it. Therefore, I credit John with helping seal the deal that led to my purchase of the Company.

John and I talked often. I'm going to miss him a lot.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

John and I had known each other since 1963. I met him at The Sequoia Club located between Concord and Antioch on Hwy 4. Those were grand, fun times. I still play the steel I bought from him at Webb's Music thirty-two years ago. I'm sure it will be my last guitar.
John may you rest in peace. You were one of the great cats.
Bill Bailey

John

Post by Bill Bailey »

I never met John, But I did meet Tom Bradshaw when I was on the road with Rose Maddox. I am sure the Webb Amp is in good hands with Tom, and hope someday to have another Webb 614E. Glad to hear from Tom. Greg, Did you use to write the "Lasserations" segment in the Steel Guitar Magazine?
Bill Bailey
Kingman Arizona
2014 Mullen G2 D 10 8+5 Black
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

John was a very cool cat, and his design for the Webb created a pure and magical classic piece of kit. RIP, John.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net