Dobros old or new?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Paul Alcantara

Dobros old or new?

Post by Paul Alcantara »

Dobros, new or vintage? Which do you prefer and why...
Tom Wolverton

I like the new resos

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I like the modern designs that don't have that big old sound well in them. The newer guitars cut the mic better. I've got one of each (old and new). I only use the old one for recording, when I want that old-timey sound.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

There's no doubt the newer builders have discovered how to get a bigger sound and more projection. That is why I play a newer design. However, a good setup man can do magic with some of the older ones.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Damon Wack

Post by Damon Wack »

Depends on the kind of music you listen to, and want to play. Good condition older dobros will give you the older sounds if that's what you prefer, and they are generally less expensive than the new guitars that sound similar, though not by much. I have a 1929 dobro, sounds good and gives you the old time sounds. It's dead as a doornail compared to the new ones though, especially on the bass strings up high on the neck. For best tone, sustain, volume and balanced sound quality from low to high, the improvements modern builders have come with have been fantastic.

If you like the early players and music, before Mike Auldridge say, go for the older guitars. Mike is kind of a bridge to me between the older and newer sounds, and Beard makes a model in his name that does this job nicely. If you prefer the sounds of Jerry Douglas or Rob Ickes, then a regular Beard, Scheerhorn, Clinesmith, Meredith, to name just a few, is the way to go.

But of course the best advice I can give is: Listen to them for yourself and see which speaks to you! I play my modern guitars pretty much exclusively for that reason.
Steven Welborn

Post by Steven Welborn »

this thread is of interest to my as I'm looking to acquire my first dobro (long time six stringer and steeler). There just aint much at all around my area to check out hands on. Would the chances be in my favor for landing a good one through ebay be it a goldtone or scheerhorn for under $1000?
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

Old.

Tone.

Josh, Oswald.

Lug cone.
"Gopher, Everett?"
Dave Thier

Post by Dave Thier »

Steven Welborn wrote:this thread is of interest to my as I'm looking to acquire my first dobro (long time six stringer and steeler). There just aint much at all around my area to check out hands on. Would the chances be in my favor for landing a good one through ebay be it a goldtone or scheerhorn for under $1000?
Well, you won't get a Scheerhorn for under $1K. A Wechter-Scheerhorn, yes. There is a big difference between the Asian imports designed by Beard and Scheerhorn and their custom US made guitars. I make this distinction since many novices may not appreciate the difference.

Dave
Steven Welborn

Post by Steven Welborn »

thanks dave. So to cure a bit of my ignorance in this area, goldtones(beard) and wechters(scheerhorn) are the asian models of those makes correct?
Dave Thier

Post by Dave Thier »

You're correct on the models Steve. Those imports have been a boon to beginners. The quality has been consistent which is good for someone who might have to purchase one without playing it. Also, Paul Beard offers full price credit on a GT purchased from him on one of his hand built models. Good luck!

Dave
John Dahms

Post by John Dahms »

I've still got my first Dobro (1934 model 37 mahogany). I still prefer the snotty tone of the old ones. I have had modern sounding Dobros but they (to me) sound Nashvilled up and ordinary.
I guess because long ago I fell for the sound of the old ones, that's what a Dobro sounds like to me. I just can't turn away or ignore that sound. Makes me feel good whan I hear it.
Kind of like the sound of a big fat Gibson hollow body with a single coil P90 through a Fender Tweed amp, sure there are new sounds but that old honk just takes me away...
Time flies like an eagle
Fruit flies like a banana.
Damon Wack

Post by Damon Wack »

I played one of the newer Wechter-Scheerhorns (or Frugalhorns, as they are sometimes known) recently, and was very impressed. While the guitars are indeed built overseas, I believe the final setup, which is critical in a dobro, is done here, and the new ones have Tim's new cones he spins in his shop.

If you want a modern sound at a reasonable price, that is the most bang for the buck I know of. I haven't played a Goldtone and can't offer any opinion there.

I am not a professional musician, nor am I associated with Mr. Scheerhorn, just my own opinions, as they say, ymmv.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

When Bob Brozman blew into town last August, we had a fun jam session together at my home. He played both my new NATIONAL Tri-cone and my vintage 1934 DOBRO. This DOBRO is still in cream condition. It has mellowed with age, (77 years), to inherit a very sweet, soft, (no-cutting) tone which Bob seemed to enjoy. I think the majority of new DOBRO guitars sound much louder than my old beast and are built better and stronger, however none I have heard or played sound as sweet. (Bob always uses black plastic finger and thumb picks.)
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

The pre-war Dobros -- like other old guitars, mandolins, banjos, etc. -- have a sweetness and mojo that is not present in the new ones. Not always the loudest, sometimes they can get lost in an acoustic ensemble setting with no mics.

IMHO, that's the big selling point for the "new generation" reso designs -- some guys need a banjo-killer in order to be heard.

Will their sound mellow over the years? Who knows?

Conversely, what do you think a brand-new Dobro Model 27 sounded like? Was it bright and rank and cutting? Did 60-70 years of aging make the difference?
Cliff Kane

Post by Cliff Kane »

Steven Welborn wrote:this thread is of interest to my as I'm looking to acquire my first dobro (long time six stringer and steeler). There just aint much at all around my area to check out hands on. Would the chances be in my favor for landing a good one through ebay be it a goldtone or scheerhorn for under $1000?
Steve,
you might want to check with Lenny at Vintage Nationals in Santa Barbara. He is a National dealer, but he has all sorts of stuff.

http://nationalguitar.com/
Paul Alcantara

Post by Paul Alcantara »

So a top quality new Dobro - by one of the above mentioned US builders - is now more expensive than a vintage example? The same doesn't appear to apply to Nationals, where vintage guitars remain pricier than their new equivalents.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Let me make one point about "sweetness" that I haven't seen discussed. I don't know in what setting you intend to play, but if you try to play a soft, sweet instrument in a group, you're not going to be heard, plus you are going to make the instrument harsh just in trying. A lot of the "sweetness" is in the touch and a louder instrument will allow you to play with a gentler touch to achieve the same volume. Most top players play the modern guitars and don't seem to have any trouble getting a sweet sound when they need to. Having said all this, I still revere the old instruments just for their history and role they played.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Damon Wack

Post by Damon Wack »

I believe the vast majority of dobros sold these days go to bluegrassers, and that group, for the most part, much prefer the sound of the newer ones for reasons previously mentioned (banjo killers, etc).

When I started playing dobro 8 years ago they were fairly rare at bluegrass jams and workshops, now they are much more common, many in the hands of incredibly talented youngsters. When you have the top players in bluegrass (Jerry Douglas, Mike Auldridge, Rob Ickes, Andy Hall, etc) ALL playing modern dobros, you just aren't going to get the demand for the older ones. I think the vintage guitar price has remained fairly constant since I started playing, but the new ones, especially from the top builders, have increased in price dramatically.
[/quote]
Last edited by Damon Wack on 7 Feb 2011 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

A "top quality" Dobro® made by Gibson is one of the most expensive resophonic instruments currently being made. Like other manufacturers (Wechter/Scheerhorn and Gold Tone/Beard) they also have a less expensive Asian made counterpart.

There are more good resonator guitars available at all price points now than at any time in the past. Attending the or [url=http://www.resosummit.org]ResoSummit in Nashville or just about any bluegrass festival will expose you to a wide range of both vintage and newer instruments.

Rob Anderlik has a great set of audio files comparing various resonator guitars.

The one I prefer is the one I'm currently playing...whatever's under my steel bar.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

The old ones sound like old ones. The new ones sound like new ones. They are both very usable for what they do. I own a couple of old ones and I love the way they sound for what I do, and for what they allow me to do on them.

Unlike vintage banjos or top-name guitars, there were actually many of these older instruments made, and they were mostly made out of plywood and laminates, which keep them relatively affordable today versus the (lovely) custom builders' best work today.

I think it's definitely worth at least trying out an old one or three (much variability in quality) in your search for the right instrument for you.

Have fun!
LC
Robert Murphy

Post by Robert Murphy »

I have an 1996 Dobro set up by Paul Beard to more modern standards like wider spacing, taller nut, better cone and set up. The best of both worlds.