heavier strings on a converted acoustic lap = danger?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Adam Gejdos

heavier strings on a converted acoustic lap = danger?

Post by Adam Gejdos »

Hello,
I decided to put some heavier strings on an old Samick acoustic that I'd converted to lap (DADF#AD). I've been using D'Addario EJ16s for a year or so but needed heavier melody strings. I put my squareneck stings on (EJ42s) and they sound really good. They're 56,45,35,28,18,16. I assume they're fine (did internet research) but figured I'd check with the experts. Anyone had issues with this heavier gauge (ie pulling on the bridge)? Anyone prefer a different set?
Cheers, Adam
Steve Green

Post by Steve Green »

FWIW, I've got a round neck resonator that I bought a riser nut for and wanted to convert to "dobro style". I went to the local music store to buy some .016 gauge dobro strings, and the guy who worked there said I shouldn't go any heavier than .013's, because the round neck wasn't made for that much tension. I went with the .013's and haven't had any problems. I've since gotten a square neck, and use .016's on it.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I would also vote in favor of the lighter strings.
When you put a nut riser on a round neck guitar, you put greater leverage on the neck and run the risk of damaging it.
Michael Maddex

Post by Michael Maddex »

FWIW, I have had .016 - .056 strings (both the D'Addario bronze and the Martin nickel) on a Rogue roundneck reso with an extension nut for years with no problem. It is tuned Spanish: (L2H) D G D G B D. The strings might be a little heavy for tuning Dobro: (L2H) G B D G B D. YMMV.
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." -- Arthur C. Clarke
Adam Gejdos

Post by Adam Gejdos »

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think I'll go a tad lighter, just to be safe. It's actually my wife's old acoustic that she "lent" me. My marriage is more important than slightly improved tone!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

You sure wouldn't want to snap the neck on that baby! :whoa:
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

you can use the heavy strings, just dont leave the guitar up to pitch when not being played. i have repaired too many acoustics with pulled up bridges and dovetail joint problems.

when you are finished playing just turn the tuners down a couple of turns and release a little string tension. this takes enough pressure off the top to never have a problem. i do this with all my acoustic intruments when in the case. unloads the top just a little.
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Post by Hans Henrik Rasmussen »

Hi Adam,

I'm using 017-.020-.026-.035-.045-.056 for Open D on my Gibson FJN. That is a short scale guitar, though, but I've used 016-.019-.026-.035-.045-.056 for Open D on a 25.5 scale without problems.

I even have an old Samick (greg bennett D7, I think) with an extension nut and a set of D'addario EJ17 (.013-.056) on it. I've used that for years, no problems what so ever.

Try toying with something like this: http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html Open D tuning with heavier 1st and 2nd strings actually ends up putting less tension on your guitar than lighter strings in standard tuning.

Best,
Hans