Buddy Charlton Rest In Peace

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

For over two years I sat across from Buddy, taking lessons. I have to say, his musical expertise was intimidating at first but very quickly became a non-issue. His compassion for teaching was complimented with his people skills in making me feel at home. I came to lessons prepared and played to the best of my abilities as he sat there to listen and guide me. There was one lesson where I prepared a tune which was shared with me by a fellow steel player. I told Buddy I had no idea who wrote the tune or who the player was on the recording. The fact was, I knew all along whom the player was, it was Buddy. My intent was to mess with Buddy a little as I am somewhat of a jokester; I wanted to see what kind of reaction I’d get. Half way through this tune, I started to play something that was completely out of context with the song. What I didn’t count on was his stern reaction as he raised his voice and said in so many words, “what the heck are you doing! That doesn’t go like that, whats wrong with you?”The last time I was scolded in such a manner was at Sunday school when I got thrown out of class. This experience was rather funny, but at that point I really knew he was genuine with this teaching, he really cared about his students. One lesson he told me if he’d had walked into a room and heard what I just played, he would have walked out. Again, his honesty and positive re-enforcement inspired me to constantly woodshed. Buddy, you will be missed.
gL
pdl20

Buddy Charton

Post by pdl20 »

sorry to hear of Buddy's passing. Prayers go out
to the family: He gave so much to the steel guitar world and all his fans,he will live on forever in the music he created and left behind.God Bless him and REST IN PEACE.
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

With great sympathy I reach out to those who have known this man through his kindness to share his great musical abilities. It is very difficult to realize that Buddy has departed while seeking the Lord's promise of a better life.
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

RIP Buddy...you will be deeply missed. Your gifts to us all will live on forever....thank you.......
Raymond Thiebault

Post by Raymond Thiebault »

Kaylee and Family,

Our deepest sympathy on the passing of Buddy. He was one of the greatest. We will miss him. Our prayers are with you.
Blessings,
Ray & Claire
Billy Woo

Condolences and Sympathy for Buddy Charleton

Post by Billy Woo »

To Kay Lee, I met you once when I took a lesson from Buddy and you were very kind to me and my dad who drove me to the lesson from N.E. Washington DC, I wish you prayers and piece of heart as you must be truly heartbroken as your post shows. Buddy will be missed but never forgotten.

Sincerely,
Billy Woo
Steve Raulston

Post by Steve Raulston »

A true gentleman, an outstanding instructor and a monster musician. RIP............ you will be sorely missed. And God's Speed to the entire Charleton family in these very difficult times. You are in our prayers.
Mark Durante

Post by Mark Durante »

Kay Lee, our thoughts are with you. We can still hear him in the great music he left us...
John Burton

Post by John Burton »

I only met the man twice. Once I took a two hour lesson from him. He really impressed me, not just his playing, which goes without saying, but his open manner and friendliness.
I'll never forget.
Truly a Virginia Gentleman.
:(
Jim Snowman Mitchell

Buddy

Post by Jim Snowman Mitchell »

It is with deepest sadness that I learn about the passing of one of the true pioneers of the PSG.

My deepest sympathy and my prayers go out to the family of this fine man.

He will be deeply missed.

"Snowman"
Sho-Bud & Jackson steel guitars
ONLY Peavey Amps
Goodrich & Fender volume pedals
Walker seats
Ron McNuss

God Bless You, Buddy Charleton

Post by Ron McNuss »

I have fond memories of my pedal steel lessons with Buddy way back in the early 1980s at Oxen Hill Music. He was always so kind, patient, and willing to share his gifts - his incredible knowledge and skill in playing the pedal steel. He was such a great instructor, with a gentle personality, and a kind and mild spirit...

God Bless You, Buddy, your wife Kay Lee, and all of your Family and Friends at this time of loss...
Frederic Mabrut

Post by Frederic Mabrut »

Too bad. My deepest sympathies go out to his family.
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

I'm so sorry to hear this news. My deepest sympathies for Kay Lee (who Buddy once said was a natural for the pedal steel guitar) and to Billy and Wanda who were such close friends. Buddy, rest in peace; we miss you.
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

My deepest sympathy's to Kay Lee and all the family.

In my musical life, Buddy's playing on "Country Dance Time" was the first time I realized how "hip" the PSG could be. Up to the point I first heard it, I was a young died in the wool jazz snob. His playing went right to where I lived. Right to my heart! I will always be thankful for the person who told me "you better listen to this son!" It's still one of my 5 "desert island" records. Even though I never met him, like other heroes in my life, through his music I feel like I knew him and owe him so much.

I can never thank you enough for all the joy and inspiration you've shared Buddy!

God Bless!
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

In 1962, steel great, Norm Hamlet called me and told me to come over and listen to the new album the Ernest Tubb band had just released. Of course, it featured the new steel player Buddy Charleton. Needless to say, I was in shock for days at this incredible talent. It was during this time I decided to attempt to tackle the steel. Buddy was so great. Another super hero gone from our midst.
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

I'm saddened to hear of Buddy's passing. What a fantastic player and person he was. Such an influence to so many of us. May The Lord now welcome Buddy home and bring comfort to his family and friends.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
Larry Sasser

Post by Larry Sasser »

Kay Lee I would like to say I am sorry very sorry for your loss. Your loss was my loss and I know many others feel the same. If not for Buddy there would have never been a Larry Sasser the steel player. I was a dobro player in the Atlanta area and one day a friend played me a cut of Another Bridge To Burn where Buddy play one of the greatest intros I ever heard. I went that day and bougth myself a steel and began trying to play Buddy's licks.
Kay Lee, I am so lucky to be able to call you and Buddy my friends. I love you and my prayers are with you.
David Mullis

Post by David Mullis »

My condolences to Kaylee and the Charleton family. I was lucky enough to take a couple lessons from Buddy back around 2000 or 2001 when I was in DC for a week on business. He was one of the nicest guys I ever met and had a way of teaching that was 2nd to none. He will be missed.....
Wayne Cox

Post by Wayne Cox »

What sad news! Buddy C. was certainly one of the brightest stars that always brought light into my life. I certainly hope and pray for God's blessings of comfort to be on his family at this difficult time.
~~W.C.~~
Ronnie Sellers

To my Friend ( Buddy Charleton )

Post by Ronnie Sellers »

I loved this mans tone and style, I use to watch the ET Shows on TV and would day dream that I was playing along with Buddy on the show ! ET was always bragging on Leon but buddy did'nt care ! He new he was a much better picker,,,, Rest in peace old Friend ....
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Any steel guitar player that was or is serious about learning the instrument has dissected, learned or attempted to play at least one of his instrumentals or passages. The Charlton Rhodes era was a highlight. Buddy was an inspiration to all.
The music in heaven has taken a giant step forward. I can imagine the greetings and happiness upon his arrival.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Tim Tyner

Post by Tim Tyner »

So very sorry to hear this.Buddy will always be remembered as one of the most influential steel guitarists of all time.
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

I was so sorry to learn of Buddy's passing.
Id hoped that he might bounce back, but it seems that his talents were needed Upstairs.
Scotty, thanks for reminding me of that recorded jam, I'll have to find that copy you made for me....
"Soft Rain"...just awesome.
My thoughts and prayers go out to Kaylee and family. God bless.

MC
Donna Sherrard Williams

Post by Donna Sherrard Williams »

God be with the Charleton family at this time Dad truly loved pickin with Buddy all night one night in Louisville after a gig at the Do Drop Inn with ET.... Boogie Sherrard Family
Lowell Gilbertson

Goodbye, Buddy

Post by Lowell Gilbertson »

I was lucky enough to study with Buddy for two years in the 90's. What a joy to sit across a steel guitar from this man. His understanding of jazz harmony was exceptional.

I also loved hearing his stories. He told me that I should never leave my bar on the steel. I asked him why. He told me of one time when he was playing the Opry and he left his bar on the steel during a break. He came back to begin playing again and found that some prankster had coated his bar with Vaseline. We laughed about that.

Kaylee, it was wonderful to know you and Buddy and great to see how you two cared for each other. I cannot imagine your loss.