RIP Wayne Stowers - Friend & Atlanta drummer

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Bill Ferguson

RIP Wayne Stowers - Friend & Atlanta drummer

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Last night we lost our dear friend and drummer Wayne Stowers to cancer.

Wayne and I have been the best of friends since around 1969.

Wayne was my sidekick and one of my camera men when we were video taping the ISGC and Smoky Mountain Steel Jamboree.

I know I will miss Wayne and those of you that knew him will also.

Arrangements:

"The family will receive friends 2:00-4:00PM and 6:00-8:00PM Monday, January 31, 2011 at Gene Davis-White Columns Chapel in Mableton with Funeral Services Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 11:00AM"

God Bless You Wayne and Rest In Peace

Bill
Last edited by Bill Ferguson on 30 Jan 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Very sorry for the loss of your friend Bill. My condolences..
Hook
Gene Still

Wayne Stowers

Post by Gene Still »

Wayne and i have been friends for over forty years.I will miss him so very much,but i will always remember that great smile of his. God bless Betty and all of the family at this sad time. Gene Still
"If it's got steel, it's GOOD and I'm STILL steeling"
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

I'm Saddened by this, Always enjoyed His Humor and Fellowship.
He was about one of the smoothest Drummers around that I ever had the pleasure of picking with.
Another Name I have to Remove From my Email and AOL instant messenger.
RIP Santy 60
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

I met Wayne back in the early 70's after I moved back to Atlanta. If you were a musician, you knew The Music Mart and Wayne Stowers. Wayne always had a smile on his face and a story to tell. His hand drawn Christmas cards were always my favorite to receive. I'm blessed for having known Wayne, and will miss him tremendously.
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Well, I haven't known Wayne as long as many of you, but we've tag-teamed the drum chair on a bunch of shows the last few years. I've grown to love the old coot, and I sure will miss him. My prayers to Betty and all the family.

The other drummer.
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

I have known Wayne almost as long as I have been playing steel. He was one of my favorite people and favorite musicians at the steel shows that I attended and played. I'll miss his kindness and humor.
Chris Maddox

Wayne Stowers

Post by Chris Maddox »

I joined last night just so I could let everyone know about my uncle Wayne's passing. I know that he had a lot of friends on here from all over the United States. He was the BEST uncle a person could ever ask for and was a wonderful person as well. Please keep his wife, sons and grandchildren in your thoughts and prayers. He will be missed very much by so many people. RIP uncle Wayne.
Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

Very sad news. Our sincere condolences to Wayne's wife Betty and all of his family. Wayne was such a nice guy and a friend for many years. May Our Lord give Wayne the rest he so dearly needs.
...Roy and Barbara
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy
Herby Wallace

Wayne Stowers

Post by Herby Wallace »

I am really sad to hear this, although I knew he had been having a lot of problems. I have also known Wayne since back in the sixties and since then, he has become one of my very favorite people and friends of all time. He also was a great drummer and alway had the feel that I wanted on a song. My buddy, Ben Brogdon, used to talk about this all the time when we played music with Wayne. We would always say that when it comes to music, "you either have it or you don't" and Wayne always had it. He played with me last February at the Atlanta show and did a great job as usual. He and I actually talked back then about his health problems and he amazed me at what a positive attitude he kept. I will also miss him very much and my prayers go out to all his family.

Herby Wallace
Ray Harrison

Post by Ray Harrison »

My dearest and deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Wayne.
I've heard a lot about Wayne and did not have the opportunity to meet him.
Rest in Peace Wayne
Ray Harrison
Bass/sing/Love PSG
77 Stingray/Kiesel 5 string bass
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

I first met Wayne around 1972 or 1973. My cousin was old enough to drive and I wasn’t. He and I would cut school and go hang out at the Music Mart. Wayne sold me several instruments back then including my first working steel guitar.

Like Roger said there was always a big smile and great sense of humor. On my steel show sets I always knew I was in good hands with Wayne on drums and Wayne Smith beside him. I also had the honor of playing bass beside Wayne at a few steel shows and casual gigs over the years. Starting about three years ago, we played several gigs in a Western Swing band that Billy Puckett and Bill Adams put together until Wayne was no longer up to it.

It was always a lot of fun playing with Wayne or just being around him. I’ll miss him a lot. :cry:

My condolences to Betty and the family. Rest In Peace, my friend.
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I remember a lot of times playing shows where Wayne was playing drums. He was a great friend to not just me, but a lot of other steel players at our shows. He will be missed. Wayne, we will miss you

Brett
Jack Conyer

Post by Jack Conyer »

Thank you Bill for the email informing me of this sad news about Wayne. Hell certainly be missed. I had known Wayne since the Music Mart. We jammed there together a couple of times. Our prayers are with Betty and the family at this time.
Jack and Sandra Conyer
Bob Evens

RIP Wayne

Post by Bob Evens »

I join in remembering Wayne Stowers and his contributions to music and the steel guitar world.
He always had a smile and quick wit. The best part is when he called me his friend.
I will remember him always and see him again one day.

See you in the morning old friend

Bob And Diane Evens
Play with your heart...your hands and feet will follow

Zum SD10
NV112
Chris Maddox

Wayne Stowers Obituary

Post by Chris Maddox »

Here is the link for Wayne's obituary

http://www.whitecolumnsfuneralchapel.co ... 366Stowers
Chris Maddox

Wayne Stowers Obituary

Post by Chris Maddox »

When you visit the site for Wayne be sure to click on the link for photos. There are quite a few of him when he was very young and throughout school. Also some great photos of him and my aunt Betty.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Chris, I went through those photos earlier today. One of his most recent pictures of him having a good laugh is how I'll always remember him!
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

This is our buddy Wayne hard at work and having a great time.

Billy Morgan

Post by Billy Morgan »

Wayne was a dear friend of mine and I will always cherish the time I spent with him. I first met Wayne when he was at the Music Mart. My best friend, Phil Sanders, worked there also and he would tell me about all the jokes they would pull while on the job. Phil passed away a few years ago and Wayne traveled a long way to come to his funeral. I told him that Phil would understand if he had not been able to make the trip. Wayne told me that he didn't come for Phil but come for himself just to be with him one more time. He loved the pedal steel and once helped me purchase an Emmons. He always sent me his personal Christmas Card like many of you received and I wondeered why I didn't get one this year and now I know. He was a good man and I will miss him dearly.
Gaylon Mathews

Post by Gaylon Mathews »

Great man. I will miss him.
Gaylon's Homepage
www.facebook.com/gaylonmathews

gaylonmathews@yahoo.com

Show Pro Steel Guitars, 2Ds Guitars, Peavey Electronics, Gallien Krueger MB Series Amps, GHS Strings, Rick Johnson Cabinets, D2F Covers, Eminence Double-T Speakers, Weber Speakers, Cedar Creek Cases.
Charlie Vaughn

Post by Charlie Vaughn »

I have known and loved Wayne since 1967. we have shared many laughs and played a lot of music together. I will always remember him and his humor and wonderful smile. He was a wonderful friend and I will miss him. He will never be forgotten and always loved. Rest in Peace my friend.
Chris Maddox

Wayne Stowers

Post by Chris Maddox »

Roger... You are so right... Those recent photos with him laughing is exactly how everybody should remember him. I am so blessed that I got to see him at Christmas. I can't stress enough not only what a good person he was... But he was such a great family man... He acted like he loved all us nieces and nephews all the same... BUT I KNOW HE LOVED ME THE MOST! LOL I never met anybody that didn't like him. Of course it wouldn't have been in their best interest to tell me they didn't! HE WAS THE MAN !!!!!
I'll miss you forever Wayney Wayne!
Love,
Chrissy Chris
Tony Stowers

Post by Tony Stowers »

I had considered coming to the upcoming gathering at the Shriners Temple Sunday to be with you all and to tell you what I am going to say here. It is too soon though and it would be too hard to be there without my dad. He loved you all and loved the music and loved being on that stage with that drum kit. I want to thank each and everyone of you, those that could make it to the funeral and those that wanted to come but couldn't. A special thank you to Tommy Dodd for helping to carry my dad's body to where it rests today and to Bill Ferguson too. To Bill also goes a special sense of gratitude for a wonderful send off with some stories that reminded us what a great guy my dad was. Thanks for sharing those - I'm sure there are a gazillion more.
I had the pleasure of coming with him to the father's day show last year at the Shriner's. It was a real treat to see him up there having a big time.
A few years ago I went with him to a steel show somewhere out in the Douglasville Ga area. I hadn't heard him play in a while. When it was his turn to get up on the stage and play a few sets a miracle happened before my eyes. I saw a man who looked to be in his 60's suddenly transform into a 18 year old kid, having the time of his life. I knew this was his bliss being up there cutting up and playing his heart out. I guess you all saw that each time you got together. I've got a feeling there are many more 18 year olds up on that stage - you gotta love what this music does to you and what you bring to it everytime to get to play.
Because of the pouring out of your hearts, because of the deep affection you have toward my dad and the kindness you have shown my mom and my brother and I, because of the kind of people you are, even though rascals some of you may be (':D') , because you called Wayne Stowers your friend, whether anyone believes in a hereafter or not, I know for sure my dad's spirit lives on because he lives in my heart and I am certain he lives in yours. You guys and gals are the greatest and when the time is right we'll come sit a spell and listen to some good music and relive some old tales.
Until then you have my undying gratitude for being such good friends to him and to my mom.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Tony Stowers

:)
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Yes Tony, we are all like kids when we play music. It is fun and more than that, it is a stress reliever (most of the time anyway)

Your dad was loved by more people than you could ever know.

I feel fortunate that he and I were born in the same generation and that our path's crossed when they did.

Yep, I do have a zillion more stories from our times together, however some are better left unsaid. hehe

Take care of your mom and we will see yall soon at a show.

We love you all,

Bill Ferguson