What wattage/type of tube amps are you using?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Robby Osenton

What wattage/type of tube amps are you using?

Post by Robby Osenton »

Ive been using a friend's hot rod deluxe at my band's practices, and it actually sounds pretty good. I would like to buy something sometime soon, but I dont really trust newer tube amps since I build/work on my guitar amps, so I would like to buy an older one and do the maintenance on it.

Obviously, the twin reverb is the gold standard, but I think it may be louder than I need, and is definitely heavier than I need. maybe a chopped one?

The bandmaster reverb could be an option, but I think it may break up too soon, and could probably use a beefier transformer.

I know traynor made some great amps with reverb, but I think the 45 watt one is based on a bassman/marshall so it probably wouldn't have enough headroom, and the 80 watt one is really big.

I like playing with the classic sound, and I really love how if I am playing a solo or certain fills and I have my volume pedal up high, a few notes have a hint of overdrive. I've always loved that sound on classic live albums!

my guitar is an sd-10 fessy with a truetone pickup

Also, my main electric guitar amp with this band is a 1957 gibson ga-20t or a tweed deluxe, which are small amps. other guitar player uses a newer fender turned down low with pedals. I think we practice at about the same volume as we gig

What amps are you guys using?
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I've been using a Music Man HD 212, (130 watts) but I'm going to be selling it and using 2 ZT clubs and a POD from now on. It's a great amp, but I'm too old and tired to carry it around any more.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... =music+man

E-mail me if you're interested in buying it.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

For small quiet places I use a Vibro Champ .
If I need a bit more a Peavey classic 20
Need more I use my Music Man 210 HD
Louder still I have a Peavey Renoun with a 15"JBL .
I have only used the first 2 in the last few years .
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

A Peavey Nashville 112 is hard to beat and geared to sound good with a steel guitar.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Tube amps..yes

In typical situation I will use the 71 Twin with 2 Emmi 12's...Clearly my go to amp rated @ 85 watts.., can cover it all .Yeah I know some say 100 watts, but the reality is it's an 85 watt chassis and I love it !

Last time out I used the Marshall JCM 900/ 50 Watt amp with a 4x12 cab , it was excellent for both Steel and the Les Paul ( or Telecaster) ...I don't think I ever played thru an amp with such bottom end clarity. Heavy, sure...but in the scheme of things easier to transport weight wise than the Twin. The 4 x12 slant cab ends all of the dispersion issues such as a Steel amp directly behind the player and the sound getting lost. No I wasn't loud and over powering...actually I thought this rig was pretty dang impressive overall .If the room is big enough I will use this rig often.

Rehearsals I may use a Peavey Classic 30 or a Fender Deluxe Reverb, along those lines, they would never cut the gig for Steel but are great in a small practice setting.

t
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Ryan Barwin

Post by Ryan Barwin »

I usually play through a 100 watt Music Man 115RP. It's a lot like a Twin, but with one 15" EVM speaker. It sounds great and it's got as much power as I need, but it's very heavy.

I've used a Hot Rod Deluxe in the studio, and it was great for recording, but definitely not enough clean headroom to use live.
Michael Schuppe

Post by Michael Schuppe »

Peavey Delta Blues with a 15" speaker
Chris Dorch

Post by Chris Dorch »

At home, 70's Fender Champ or Vox Pathfinder (which is SS but allows you to have an extension cab which rocks when it's 1x12 or 1x15).

Live: Fender DRRI (1x10), Ampeg Jet II (1x12) or 70's Twin MV, so 100 watts (2x12).
Ricky Littleton
Location: Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA

tube amps

Post by Ricky Littleton »

I am using a boutique amp made locally here in central Florida called the Gwin Steel. Keith Gwin, a personal friend of mine, customs builds amps of all kinds. Mine is made on a '66 Blackface design and runs a clean 50 watts. It is a SPECTACULAR amp in my opinion. Keith hand builds the cabinets and does some really top-notch point-to-point wiring. I am really happy with mine. As a matter of fact, for Christmas, I bought one of his bass amps called the Gwin 25 for my fiance'.

Here's the link:

http://gwinamplification.com/index.html

Just drop Keith a line for details.

Ricky...
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4,
Gwin Steel custom tube amplifier ,Goodrich Volume pedal, Peterson VS-II Tuner, E-Bow, Bo-Bro
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Obviously, the twin reverb is the gold standard, but I think it may be louder than I need, and is definitely heavier than I need. maybe a chopped one?
Silverface Twin 135, you can always turn down the volume and when you need more, you can turn it back up.
Tom Wolverton

for tube amps on gigs

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I like running my '64 Showman head into a Rick Johnson single 15" cabinet (w/K130). Also use an early 80's Bassman 70 head into a single 12" Fred Justice cab w/PV BW.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Robby,I own a Fender Vibrosonic Reverb,Two Sesion 400 LTD's,a ZT Club12 and a few other little weird amps,I just got home from the Phoenix SWSGA convention and for my set I used a Peavey Nashville 112 and it was the bomb,Not a tube amp but very modern sounding and I play pretty loud,I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these little dudes. ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Either a Revelation, Tonic or Classic tube preamp hooked up to a Furlong CB12 powered speaker cabinet. Several hundred watts. Outstanding tone. Incredibly lightweight.
Leslie Ehrlich

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

Read my signature. I like to break the rules, forget about treading a well-worn path, and think outside the box. :D
Sho-Bud Pro III + Marshall JMP 2204 half stack = good grind!
Dan Lebowitz

Post by Dan Lebowitz »

Lately, I've been using a 1966 Fender Pro Reverb. It's 40 watts (2 x 6L6). If you feel like a Twin is too powerful, the Pro is a great alternative as it's about half the power, but still has 2 x 12" speakers. Double the power of a Deluxe though. I would looooooooove to try a vintage Fender Vibroverb (blackface).
http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=131
I feel like it would be an amazing steel amp.
Dennis Wood

Garnet Enforcer

Post by Dennis Wood »

I use a Garnet Enforcer, 1-12, 40 Watt. Has two preamp gain stages with two 6CA7 power tubes. This thing is the loudest and cleanest 40watts I have ever heard and will really sing when you crank the pregain. I actually prefer the tone of the Garnet over my Twin Reverb.
auribus teneo lupum
Robert Brewer

Tube or not

Post by Robert Brewer »

Nashville 400 or session 400 are great steel sound but the nashville 112 is not a bad sound with less weight but tube sound only comes from tube.
You can run a tube pre amp and get some of the sound.
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

Fox amp or Sarno/Split cab combination.

Both would be a ton lighter than a twin and probably a lot more reliable. It may cost you a couple hundred more off the bat but you'd be set for a long time. The Fox amp might sound more classic country, but with a trutone pickup I think you'll get plenty of that sound with either.
Robby Osenton

Post by Robby Osenton »

thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I am thinking that the 40w-50w amp range will be enough. Ive realized in practice that when I had the HRD up around 10, I wasnt using my volume pedal sweep much. I cut it down to about 5 and I was able to use the full sweep without killing everyone. I just love that slight bit of overdrive you can get on top of the perfect fender clean sound.

I am thinking either the pro reverb or bandmaster reverb will be perfect, or one of those traynors.

I like you guys using the marshall, but the sound in my head is more classic fender.

I know the peavey amps sound great, but I am really looking for the opposite of the modern sound.

I think my favorite steel sound is from Neil Young's live "time fades away" record. Ben Keith had a twin cranked for that tour, and it is such a cool sound
billy tam

tube amps

Post by billy tam »

I too had been looking for a tube amp. I've had a Revelation and it was awesome. I really got tired of hauling three fairly heavy pcs of gear although I loved the sound and versatility of the Rev. Having played Evans amps since the mid seventies I was pretty spoiled. Looked at twins, showman and dual showman, but very pricey just to compare with the Evans. Went to a local pawn (somithing I gave up 20+ years ago) and came upon an Ampeg Superrocket mint - 100 watt tube pre and power amp. Hooked it up with a 15" JBL and got comfortable really quick.
Have since made a cabinet for the head and a new one for the speaker. The fenders were going for $700 to twice that and I got the Ampeg for less than 1/2 that.
I,m a happy camper.
Billy
Jim Robbins

Post by Jim Robbins »

Silverface twin. It's wired so I can cut out two power tubes which makes it more like a pro but I rarely use it that way.

If you can find a pro reverb, hang onto it -- I had one once, it was my favorite guitar amp but got burnt up in a hotel fire. I'd want more clean headroom for steel, though. If you're looking for crunch you should fool around with a Marshall -- steel can really sound good through them, it's not just a Saskatoon thing.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

I can turn my twin down. But you can't turn a 40 watt amp up, but so far. Some times you need that extra power--for sustain so you don't run out of pedal. Twin to heavey? Rick Johnson will make you some cabs to break that weight up. I use 15's, and can put my speakers where I want, and keep the head next to me to tweek.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"~old cowboy proverb.
shobud@windstream.net
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Nashville 400, turn it up or down!!
A.K.A Chappy.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Read my signature. I like to break the rules, forget about treading a well-worn path, and think outside the box. Very Happy

David Anderson

Post by David Anderson »

I have used a Carr Rambler for smaller situations and find it to be a great steel amp with plenty of head room. For larger situations I have a Fender 75 from the early 80's. It's a very twin like amp but with one 12" speaker. I would say 6L6's are the way to go for steel in my opinion.