Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

so sorry to here of buddy's passing. prayers go out
to the family:

p.w
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

Another hero of ours is gone. I would like to relay a neat story about Buddy. I was in Nashville a few years ago and went to hear Smiley and his band. He had a fiddle player named Jimmy Unger. Jimmy is gone now too. Anyway he sat a talked with me during the breaks. He told me that he started playing in the Washington DC area and one of his first gigs was with Buddy on steel. After the picking was over around 1AM, Buddy came to him and said, "I don't play a fiddle but I am going to show you how to play one". Jimmy sad they sat there till 6AM and Buddy taught him many things about how to play good music. That is the kind of guy Buddy was. Buddy and Leon were fantastic.
RIP
Buddie Hrabal

Post by Buddie Hrabal »

I'm sorry to hear this. He was truly one of my heros. One of my favorite albums was Ernest Tubb "Live at Cain's Ballroom" RIP Buddy
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Kay Lee, mere words cannot convey to you how saddened I am to learn of Buddys passing. Although I never met him, I still knew him through his music as a lot of members here did. Buddy was the reason I bought every Ernest Tubb and The Texas Troubadors records I could. Buddys memory will never die in the hearts of those who know how great a Steel Player and person he was. May God bless you and your family during this time of sorrow.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Very sad news, Our prayers go out to the the Family...A true Great player gone..
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

I did not find out til this AM.... My sincerest condolences to KayLee and to all who love him. Rest In Peace Maestro. I am glad I got to share time on the planet with you.
John Poston

Post by John Poston »

This makes me so sad. I was just sitting with the Willie Nelson Country Favorites record the other night, trying to get some of his moves.
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

So sad to hear this news, another of my hero`s gone, R.I.P Buddy, so proud to have known you, my thoughts are now with your family...........
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

Very sad news. My thoughts and prayes are with Buddys family.
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

This is sad news, RIP Buddy
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Buddy Jennison

R.i.p.

Post by Buddy Jennison »

Another old friend has left us. He's in good company, John Hughy,Jimmie Crawford, Curly Chaulker, Hal Rugg and on and on. The good ones go, the rat hangs around. At least the physical pain is gone. At least he had love around him. "Little" Buddy.
"Little" Buddy
Joe Savage

Post by Joe Savage »

I'd like to add my condolences, as well. I enjoyed my brief visit to beautiful Virginia a few years back and spending some hours with Buddy. Peace and comfort to all who mourn.
Buddy Griffin

Post by Buddy Griffin »

All the steel players I know who took lessons from Buddy agree that we were EXTREMELY lucky to have him based in the DC area. There were virtually NO steel teachers in this region in the 70's. When he became available to teach after quitting the ET road gig, word got around quickly and a bunch of us jumped at the chance to become a student of his. His style, technique, touch, tone, musical sense were second to none. I learned more from Buddy in 3 months than I did in 2 years of teaching myself.
I will miss his great playing, his humility and good nature and his gift for teaching and passing his knowledge on to others.
God bless you Buddy, rest in peace and thanks for everything.

Buddy Griffin
Ron Ross

Post by Ron Ross »

Rest in peace old friend
"Kick'er off there Wichita"
Larry Rafferty

Post by Larry Rafferty »

So sorry to hear this news. Buddy's music will live on forever. Rest in Peace.
Mullen D-10 8x5; Sho-Bud Super Pro D10 8x6; PedalMaster 5 Star SD-10 3x5; Dekley D-10 8x4;
Sho-Bud S-10 3x1; Fender Lap/Floor Steel; Peavey Power Slide; Supro Lap Steel; Peavey Nashville 400;
pair of Peavey Vegas 400's; Peavey NV112; Webb 614E with matching extension cabinet; Fender Twin Reverb and 3 cats.

They laughed when I sat down to play, cause' somebody pulled my chair away...
Gordy Rex

Post by Gordy Rex »

"RIP" Buddy....
Gordy Rex
Current guitar '78 Rosewood Emmons PP 8 X 6, La Grande II..8X8...
Stuart Basore

Post by Stuart Basore »

Another of my heros is gone!!!! I got to spend some time with Buddy whenever the Troubadors and the Tennessee Mt. Boys were on the same tour. What a great friend and wonderful player!! He will be missed by all.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Buddy, you left a terrific musical legacy for us all. It's as close as our turntable, CD player, or iPod. We are all in your debt, my friend. Long may you rest in peace.
Walter Bowden

Post by Walter Bowden »

Heaven's band just got another great steeler to make more joyful noise.
I remember Jeff Newman praising Buddy's character and playing and I am sorry I never had the chance to meet or hear him live.
I hope his wife, family and friends find God's peace and grace.
Emmons S10, p/p, Nashville 112, Zion 50 tele style guitar, Gibson LP Classic w/Vox AC30, Fender Deluxe De Ville and a Rawdon-Hall classical
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Ms. Kaylee, Your post was so beautifully said. It gives me great comfort knowing that Buddy is with THE LORD. . May GOD bless, comfort, and keep you and the family always. Jody.
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

I'll forever treasure the memories of seeing Buddy in St. Louis; a true Titan of the steel guitar and, along with Kay Lee, such a warm and friendly person.

Godspeed to you Buddy Charlton.
<i>�Head full of this kaleidoscope of brain-freight, Heart full of something simple and slow�</i>
-Mark Heard
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I must add my name to the list of those who love his unforgettable steel playing and his preeminent contribution to the culture and literature of this wonderful instrument.
God Bless Buddy Charlton.
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

Even though we knew the earthly end was near for this great man, it is hard to face the reality. I was privileged to spend some time with Buddy in St. Louis the year he was inducted into the HOF. A picture of him and I hangs proudly on my music room wall. He will never be forgotten. KayLee our condolences on your loss and may God comfort you at this time.

Billy and Meriul Easton
Las Vegas, NV
Billy & Meriul Easton
Nashville, TN
Bill Bailey

Buddy C

Post by Bill Bailey »

:( I was shocked to see Buddy left us so fast. Kay Lee, I don't think I have ever heard a better story of love between two people, be it steel player and wife or choose any other line of work. I have a record of ET with Buddy I have had for years, No needle now but I still have the record. May the lord in heaven welcome him into that awsome band of pickers that await his appearance. Be comforted by God's love, and thanks for your contribution to and support of Buddy's life and music.
Bill Bailey
Kingman Arizona
2014 Mullen G2 D 10 8+5 Black
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.
DeWitt Scott

Buddy Charelton

Post by DeWitt Scott »

I share my grief with Kay Lee. I had so much respect for Buudy and having him perform at the International Steel Guitar Convention more than once was a super delight. I shared playing with him at several shows in the east close to where Buddy lived and he was always so friendly with me. I even sat in on his steel guitar at a hall he was playing in and found out too late that he had the Jimmy Day setup on his guitar and I had the Emmons setup on my guitar. I was younger then and had no problem to making the adjustment. One thing that I will always cherish is when he was in St. Louis a long time back I took him to a jam session after the show with Ernest Tubb was over and recorded it. It was Buddy on the steel guitar, Chuck Raue on guitar and vocals, Charlie Tucker on the lead guitar and Bobby Regal, SR. on the bass. We used electronic drums. I only had one mic and would point it to whom ever was predominate at the time. One of the best recordings I ever made.

Buddy had his own style and the way that he used the volume pedal was second to none! I have to say that Buddy was one of the very best players and had a tremendous influence on so very many steel players and fans alike. My condolences go out the Kay Lee and other family members. Scotty - St. Louis, MO.