Charlie Louvin Passed away.........

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Greg Wisecup

Charlie Louvin Passed away.........

Post by Greg Wisecup »

Charlie Louvin of the Louvin Brothers fame passed away this morning of pancreatic cancer. Member of the GOO.
He was 83.
Derby SD-10 4&5 Black!(duh)/
Derby D-10/Steelers Choice/
Goodrich 120/ 2- Katana Boss 100's
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Sorry to hear of this but we know he had been ill.

Got to see him at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass in San Francisco a few years ago.

One could do a lot worse than playing and singing Louvin Brothers songs every evening.

A true legend of country music. Rest in peace Charlie, you are one of the greatest of the great.
Mark
JERRY THURMOND

Post by JERRY THURMOND »

A true country music singer,got to see him just a few months ago he put on a good show. He will be missed.

Jerry
Ron Elliott

1-26-2011

Post by Ron Elliott »

We are so sorry and sad to hear of the Passing of this Legend in our musical world. Charlie spoke and sang from his heart. I had the absolute honor and
pleasure of playing music with Charlie and our band of "The Big Men" for nearly 9 years on the road and on the Grand Ole Opry. Our Prayers and thoughts are
with the family at this time and always..Charlie's
lovely wife, Betty,their sons Sonny, Glenn, and Kenneth,and all the family remain in our Prayers.
Charlie was a Brother Mason and Shriner,Member of the Hall of Fame,a wonderful talent, and a very dear friend, "Go Rest High on the Mountain" Charlie.
Ron & Leslie Elliott
Jack Dougherty

Post by Jack Dougherty »

As George said "Who's gonna fill their shoes?"

RIP Charlie
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I'm very sorry to hear of this! I've been a fan of the Louvin Brothers since I first heard "I Don't Believe You've Met My Baby" when I was in high school and first learning the mandolin. Later when Charlie went on his own I loved his music too. My band still does "Will You Visit Me On Sunday" at about every other gig. He was a very "soulful" country singer....

Ron, Ira Louvin was a Master Mason as well as Charlie. On the cover of their old LP "Ira & Charlie, the Louvin Brothers", they were both holding their instruments and both were wearing rings displaying the square and compass so Charlie must have been almost a lifelong Brother of the Craft....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Another great one gone. The last report I got from Marty Martel sounded like things were improving. I got to meet Charlie when I worked at Little Roy Wiggins' music store. I reworked an old PA system he had bought from Jim Ed Brown. Charlie would drop into the store occasionally and he and Little Roy would sit and tell road stories.

RIP
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

1/26/11 Nashville Tennessean w/ slide show:

http://www.tennessean.com/

To hear greatness go to iTunes and download the Charlie Louvin song: "Ten Years, Three Kids, Two Loves Too Late"
Last edited by robert kramer on 26 Jan 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Jones

Post by Mike Jones »

I had the honor of working with Charlie and the Big Men for several years and always enjoyed working with him. My prayers are with Sonny, Glen and the rest of the family. Great entertainer and he sang from the heart. He will be missed.
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

Oh man !! Buddy and Charley both gone . I'll treasure a picture I made with Buddy at St Louis in '05 . As for Charley , I loved the Brothers and Charley alone . I still believe he had the best cut on "Think I'll Go Somewhere And Cry Myself To Sleep". He could wring more passion out of a lyric than anyone I can think of . "Love Thy Neighbor As Thy Self" was a favorite of mine from the Brothers. Does anyone know if it was Chet or Capps or Yandell on this cut ?
Debbie Johnley Glaub

Post by Debbie Johnley Glaub »

My sympathy and prayers to Charlie's family during this time of loss ...to a true legend who will not be forgotten...
Debbie Johnley Glaub
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

It was a delight and an honor to meet him. Pulled out his guitar and sang one classic tune after another.

RIP Charlie.
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Skip Ellis

Post by Skip Ellis »

I had the honor of backing Charlie when he and his son did a gig with our band back in the late 70's at the Palmetto (FL) Moose Lodge. I hadn't been playing steel long but he was very gracious and complimentary. A fine man, for sure!
2013 Brook Torridge, 2014 Martin 000-18, two homebrew Teles, Evans RE200 amp, Quilter 101R head, understanding wife of 45 years. 'Steeless' at the moment but looking......
Bill R. Baker

Charlie Louvin

Post by Bill R. Baker »

I saw Charlie on Saturday night following Thanksgiving last year at the Tubb Midnight Jamboree.
He was very weak and in fact could not really finish the show. I saw him for the first time when he and his brother Ira came to my hometown in MS around 1947. In recent months he was fortunate to have Ben Hall playing guitar for him. Ben is from MS and one super great pickers and still in college.
J PARKER

Charlie

Post by J PARKER »

Another one of the legends gone home. My prayers are with Sonny and the rest of the family.
Chris L. Christensen

Post by Chris L. Christensen »

So very sorry to hear about Charlie's passing. I wish I could have met him! I loved many of his songs! Rest in Peace, Charlie!
Evelyn Whitney

Post by Evelyn Whitney »

A trouper to the very end. I hear he collapsed on the last midnight jamboree and Country family reunion shows he tried so bravely to do.
He was there to entertain us and he did that alright.
Our love and prayers to the family Evelyn Whitney and L T Zinn
Mike Brown

Charlie Louvin

Post by Mike Brown »

My late Mother used to tell me of how the Louvin Brothers arrived home after coming off of the road in the late '50's while living in Memphis where. We lived on Reed Avenue. In the early '90's, I met Charlie Louvin backstage at the Grand Ol Opry while working as a Peavey rep and he remembered my family(but not necessarily me).

In 2005 through 2007, I worked with a sound company that provided sound for Carl Jackson on his yearly Christmas show in Louisville, Mississipp(his home town). All of the musicians that I have worked with are some of the nicest folks that I have ever met.
Tracy Sheehan

Re:

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

The band i was with in 1968 i think it was did a package show in Fla. with Charlie. He was a super down to earth friendly person. He and i were sitting and talking during intermission and i don't recall how the subject came up but i couldent help notice his drummer played so layed back and sounded great.
He only played a soft rim shot on the snare and very soft on the bass drum. Charlie told me thats all his drummer knew how to play and thats why he hired him. Funny how one remembers things. He will be missed by many. Tracy
Casey Lowmiller

Post by Casey Lowmiller »

May Charlie be reunited with his dear brother Ira in the land up yonder.

I can only assume that heaven is a much better place now, it us surely filled with some of that sweet harmony that only the Louvin Brothers could do.

Wish I could've met Charlie :(

Casey
Known Coast to Coast as
"The Man with The Plan"
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

We get a lot of sad news lately. So sorry to hear about Charlie's passing. He was one of the last remaining from an era that is so hard to describe to young folks today who have never experienced the musical simplicity of these days. The Louvins were just pure voices and singing with dedication.

My condolences to the family.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria
Buddie Hrabal

Post by Buddie Hrabal »

I hate to hear of his passing. We are loosing our heros way too fast. I got to work some with Charlie back in the early 70's, truly a lot of fun. RIP
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

Charlie and his brother were the backbone for many who have come after them.
He will be missed.
Don
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

RIP Mr Louvin.
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.