new Video- Greg Leisz with Ray LaMontagne

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bill Asher

new Video- Greg Leisz with Ray LaMontagne

Post by Bill Asher »

Here is a great tune by Ray LaMontagne. Greg Leisz offers up yet more sweet melodic instrumental parts and another tasty solo! Supper size the video, turn it up and enjoy this wonderful band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm_XebMavGk
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I noticed Eric Heywood on guitar, so they have 2 excellent steel players in the band. Also, Jay Bellerose is a monster drummer.
Mike Harris

Post by Mike Harris »

I heard them a couple of months back and, yes, both of those guys play a fine steel, though usually not on the same tune. Throw in Cindy Cashdollar and it was an embarrassment of riches.

And that drummer knocked me out--he's really something special.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Nicely produced video, thanks for the link Bill.

It was just a few days after I bought the CD last year - which I was already wearing out and it might be my favorite of 2010, that they came to San Francisco but I was seriously bummed because I couldn't go to the show due to a prior commitment.

Bill, maybe it's because of the shape of your guitar, Greg looks pretty comfortable playing it standing up with a strap. but I have wondered if you have ever made or would consider making some kind of a "belly brace" for your guitars along the lines of what Jason Dumont has for his Lap King? Jerry Douglas looks really comfortable and can move around a lot when playing those guitars.

And there is the retractable belly brace on the MSA Superslide.

I like both brands of guitars, but I also really love the tone of Asher lap steels. Phat! 8)
Mark
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Mark Eaton wrote:...but I have wondered if you have ever made or would consider making some kind of a "belly brace" for your guitars....
He already does, check this thread:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... +belly+bar

8)
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Greg came by the House last Saturday with our mutual friend Jim Hitchcock. What a great afternoon talking about the Steel Guitar. This was the first time I had met him in person, what a great Guy !
Bill Asher

Post by Bill Asher »

Quote: "Greg looks pretty comfortable playing it standing up with a strap. but I have wondered if you have ever made or would consider making some kind of a "belly brace" for your guitars"

Greg has had me install my Belly Bar on two of his Asher's. Tim Scheerhorn made the first one at the request of Bruce Bouton and Tim passed the design on to me. It is easily removable and light weight. It is what he is using in the video.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Another perfect musical moment courtesy of Greg Leisz.
Bob
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Several years ago the Sierra Guitar Company put on a show of their guitars, I believe it was at the old Foothill Club in Long Beach, Ca. They had a prototype of a Stand up Steel with about four padded levers extended out at waist high that you lean into for Knee lever type action. I don't know if it was ever produced to sell or not.
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Here's another video with both Greg Leisz and Eric Heywood on pedal steel. It looks as though they're both playing through Deluxe Reverbs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVUL6KI8 ... re=related
Steven Meyrich

Scheerhorn belly bar

Post by Steven Meyrich »

Here is my Scheerhorn #318 with a belly bar as Mr. Asher describes
Christopher Lippincott

Post by Christopher Lippincott »

I am almost positive that Greg is using C6th in this video that Bill posted, but does anyone know how he is reaching that low octave C in the middle of his solo.
Chris Renna

Post by Chris Renna »

Wow, what a solo! Listening to the 2nd clip now. sweet sounds. Keep expecting Neil Young's vocals to come in.
Dave McKeough

Post by Dave McKeough »

Greg Leisz plays with taste....love him.
Dave Manion

Post by Dave Manion »

What tone on BOTH clips. That Emmons looks hard to play,especially that E raise, but sounds great! The Williams is sweet too. IT's nice to hear them interact. Also loved the Asher through the TWO Deluxes in stereo in the first clip. MMMmm, my house is warmer now!
Jeff Spencer

Post by Jeff Spencer »

Simply supurb, an artist who knows the sweet tones of steel and how it enhances his music.

Thanks for the link
Jeff
Tom Mortensen

Post by Tom Mortensen »

Anyone know what Greg uses to overdrive the Deluxe?
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Ah, Marc J beat me to it. Dueling steels. That video confirmed my suspicion that Leisz played the main line.

That tune is devastatingly beautiful in every way. If you have the cd booklet you see that the lyrics are presented as a letter from a cowboy to his lady back home.
***WARNING: the above commentary is probably Chris' OPINION, and therefore, he thinks he's right.
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Christopher Lippincott wrote:I am almost positive that Greg is using C6th in this video that Bill posted, but does anyone know how he is reaching that low octave C in the middle of his solo.
I read an guitar magazine interview with him from back when he recorded with Bill Frisell (either Good Dog, Happy Man or Blues Dream). He mentioned a low C tuning, and I think it was just open D a step down.
***WARNING: the above commentary is probably Chris' OPINION, and therefore, he thinks he's right.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

I am almost positive that Greg is using C6th in this video that Bill posted, but does anyone know how he is reaching that low octave C in the middle of his solo.....He mentioned a low C tuning, and I think it was just open D a step down.
I'll bet it was DADF#AD a step down. I did a session with him where we did a couple with him playing the lead line on the D tuning and I did "low" support on the bottom strings and on my 7-string bass.