Curious Lap Steel on eBay

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jon King

Curious Lap Steel on eBay

Post by Jon King »

Anyone seen anything like this or recognize the p'up?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0477754801
J. Wilson

Post by J. Wilson »

WOW. That is weird....

But I wonder if it is really as old as it looks ...'cuz most of the really old guitars didn't have tone knobs.

Still, that pickup is a real trip....
If Music Be the Food of Love, Play On. -Shakespeare

Post by Jason Hull »

That's an early Rick Turner pickup...just kidding!

Jon King

Post by Jon King »

Jason,
Remarkable resemblance. Maybe it's a Model 0.1 pickup.
I wonder what Turner & Bartolini would think of the old round pup?
Steve Ahola

Post by Steve Ahola »

The metal plate with the Tone and Gain controls might have been added later. As for the pickup I question the flathead wood screws used- it is much more common for mfgs to use round or oval head screws. So my uneducated guess is that both the pickup and the controls were added later.

Thanks for sharing that with us!

Steve Ahola
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Very interesting. If it didn't have an old original looking logo on it, I'd say very early homemade or experimental at the least. The pickup design is reminiscent of the old radio coils some were experimenting with at the time.
The bridge kind of throws me too as its some form of an extruded design.

Jon King

Post by Jon King »

Well....For the record. I posted this 'cause nothing much (other than tuners) seems typical. Not even the OAHU decal. I haven't kept track of how many Oahu's I've seen, but I'm guessing it's well over 300. And (it may be due to an aging memory), but I don't recall seeing an OAHU guitars decal that matches the one on this. I can't help but wonder if it's really a homemade lap steel with a decal from something else named OAHU. Something other than made for OAHU guitars. So I'd like to ask if anyone knows of an OAHU guitars decal that matches?
But the pickup is my main wonder. As in I wonder how well it could work? I wonder what the magnet arrangement is?
Tom, I'm totally with you regarding the pickup & bridge. Do you have any data, drawings, photos or source suggestions I might inquire of regarding similar p'up configurations? Maybe being influenced by more common pickup styles affects my thinking, but round winding just seems less than optimal to me.
Steve, Your observation regarding the controls fits with what our brother from Manitoba said about older electric guitars not having tone controls. And I agree the flat head screws were not typically used by manufacturers.
I've been thinking homemade all along, but the decal throws me.
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Isn't that decal actually a letter "O" and an "A" , then am "H" and finally an "O" from a set of letter decals? It does not look like a single complete decal. And the bridge looks like some storm window extrusion. I like the pickup that was probably wound on a drill press. I wonder what the field is like?

I like it.
Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

DELETED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J. Wilson

Post by J. Wilson »

I was hoping Mr. Allen would pipe in... he is something of an authority on this stuff I have been told (and have witnessed here on SGF).

That said... I REALLY want to know how that pup sounds. Talk about designing outside-the-box!! Neat!
If Music Be the Food of Love, Play On. -Shakespeare

Post by Chris Lucker »

I think it is a very heavily modified Bigsby.

On the front I can make out the letters "_ T_ _ L S _ A _ _ ."

I cannot make out the rest.
Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
Robbie Lee

Post by Robbie Lee »

I love weird early experimental pickups. If nobody here was planning on bidding, I'm happy to throw a little bit at it, and report back to the group on what the heck it is!
Robbie Lee

Post by Robbie Lee »

Well it is mine, this weird thing. I'll let y'all know what I find.
Jon King

Post by Jon King »

Glad to know you got it Robbie. Thanks for offering to report on it. I am curious & interested in knowing more. Please let me know if there's anything I can do. I've got some testing gear if you want to go there.