New Asher guitars with palm pedals

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Andy Volk

New Asher guitars with palm pedals

Post by Andy Volk »

Bill Asher gave me a heads up about the first Asher lap with double palm bender. Bill says that it works really well giving you either 1/2 or full step bends on the first and second strings and that they are working on some great options for lap and pedal steel players with these palm benders. These include a three string version and later this year, an 8 string will be through prototyping.

Bill says,
I really believe the eight string will be great for pedal steel players to have an optional instrument for gigs and sessions where traveling with a full pedal steel might not be ideal.
Brad DuBow

Palm pedals

Post by Brad DuBow »

Whoa, I want one! How can I get one?
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I would guess that Asher Guitars would be happy to sell you one.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
J. Wilson

Post by J. Wilson »

Or, if you are just after a high quality bending set up you can order the Deusy multibender online here:

http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat= ... duct=2405C

They've had this product for a few years now and at this time Rockinger has the best price, even after delivery. The multibender currently only works on 6 string lap steel or standard guitar.
If Music Be the Food of Love, Play On. -Shakespeare

Asher palm pedal

Post by Brad DuBow »

I was trying to stay under 1K. A Duesy is about 2500 - outta my range. An Asher rep emailed me. The new one due out is about 2500+ and the import model won't be available for about three years. darn.
J. Wilson

Post by J. Wilson »

Oh ya I know! They are costly -- really nice but costly. But hit that link I gave u above. It leads to the bender mechanism itself which you can slap on your tele, strat or 6 string lap steel as a replacement bridge -- and then palm bend to your hearts delight. It will cost you about $230 USD give or take, after freight. Maybe another $50 to get it installed by your local luthier or guitar tech.

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

This just blows my mind....
That much $$$ for a simple string bender?
What's a Bigsby for a regular guitar cost....$200.00???
So a BASIC unit including the lap is $2500.00?!?!?!
That is ridiculous...
I am ALL FOR people making money by making products for us steel players....but this is like the Moog Steel guitar.....priced beyond the majority of players.

Even a Parsons/White type of bender is a fraction of that.

rant over

Jay
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

J. Wilson-
Where are you seeing that price?
Best I seen was 219 euro, which is $300.00 US dollar...
I guess that isn't that bad.

rant over

Jay
J. Wilson

Post by J. Wilson »

I hear ya. The Duesy is real sweet but the price is stupid. I think the Ben Harper model Asher is stupidly priced, too, coming in at a whopping $3200 USD. If it weren't endorsed I would guess it would be a damn site cheaper. But like I keep saying... if you want to bend just get the Duesy multibender bridge itself. It is priced to sell IMO.

Post by J. Wilson »

Jay Fagerlie wrote:J. Wilson-
Where are you seeing that price?
Best I seen was 219 euro, which is $300.00 US dollar...
I guess that isn't that bad.

rant over

Jay
LOL! $292.80 to be exact.... Meh! So I was off by sixty bucks! Still... it is a really nicely made little bridge. German quality.

Caveat... the drop tuning doesn't work so hot... I have only been bending up.

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I would want to bend the low string on my lap steel. It's tuned high to low: E C A G E C. That would give me the dominant 7th chords and with another bend on the E string, all the diminisheds I would need. Having bends on the higher strings is of course pretty cool too. For anything in the $2000 range for an add on unit, I would expect to see 6 floor pedals that would rock either way!

Greg
J. Wilson

Post by J. Wilson »

Yeah no kidding! I was going to point out that if you really want to bend you should be looking at a totally different instrument; the right tool for the job as they say.

With the Duesey Multbender you can put the benders on any strings you want. I, myself, have not put a bender on the lower strings, however, it would work fine once properly set up. I have put them on higher (thinner gauge) stings (like a C6 setup) and its a waste of time. The benders are not machined to work on those thinner strings.

I am betting this Asher sounds really nice. At first I wasn't sure you could move the benders but it appears as tho you can...

I have asked Asher about the price but haven't heard back yet. Andy probably already knows...

Post by Andy Volk »

Nope. You guys know as much as I do. I don't know about Bill's prices but I can tell you I know him personally and he a luthier for love of the craft. Bill is a guy who's committed to giving players exceptional instruments and to listening to player concerns and feedback. Nobody builds guitars to fund a vacation villa in Florence.

Two years ago I saw Bill hand his Tele model to Redd Volkaert who played it and handed it back pretty quick with an unimpressed shrug. Today, Redd plays one. That tells me Bill is listening to what players want and Redd is a guy who knows what he likes. Check out Gibson's prices. In comparison, Asher steels are still bargains.
Mitch Crane

Post by Mitch Crane »

Andy, did Bill happen to say if he will install the pedals on existing EH JR guitars if one were to bring / send it in to him ? If so, how much for the unit plus installation ?
J. Wilson

Post by J. Wilson »

Andy Volk wrote:Two years ago I saw Bill hand his Tele model to Redd Volkaert who played it...
Hi Andy... this Tele you mentioned... is it the Asher Ultratone T deluxe? I am seeking a nice tele but don't mind examining similar sonic options.

Post by Tom Wolverton »

These sure look cool. I'd love to try one, but it sure looks like palm blocking is out of the question.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Mitch Crane

Post by Mitch Crane »

Well, what looks more attractive about Bill's design is that the levers are moved back a bit...moreso than the Duesenberg version. With Asher's, it looks more "palm blocking friendly" ?
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Cool, that looks like the Hipshot. I looked into them but I like the Duesenberg better. The Duesenberg is nice little unit, well made, compact, and has the roller bridge built in. If you set the saddles up front you can get a little more muting room.

Dana Blodgett

new asher guitars with palm levers

Post by Dana Blodgett »

Do these units bend up, down or both?
Dana Blodgett
From Los Osos,Ca.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Mitch Crane

Post by Mitch Crane »

It would be great if they bent down, but I think they all just bend up (adjustable)
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Each lever on the Duesenberg can be set to raise or lower, just not both on the same lever.
Bill Asher

On the price and perceived values.

Post by Bill Asher »

Hi everyone. I know that it is important to build quality and affordable instruments for musicians that need them. Luckily there is a guitar or lap steel built out there for every budget. I am doing my best to offer both a higher quality but affordable import lap steel, and finely hand crafted ones that are definitely worth their price tag. My EH-Junior lists at $759.00 and street price is $650 the new Hipshot palm bender only adds $295. Yes, my hand built lap steels are $2400 and up, and yes I have heard people say that is ridiculous to charge that much for a lap steel. But we are not building simple plank style lap steels these days.

You can buy electric guitars or lap steels for $199 bucks and they are barely worth that much if you have ever tried one. I believe with most things you get what you pay for. If you want a superior instrument with a great design and attention to detail with the best components and lacquer it will cost over $2000 and it should. With a small shops overhead, keeping tools in working order, materials, lacquer, custom cases, etc. it will cost $1000 to $1500 just in the bottom line cost before the luthier adds in his deserving paycheck. I am sure most guitar builders out there are lucky to bring in $25 to $30 an hour. Which is not asking much for that kind of skill and in most cases a life long dedication.

It seems lap steels do not get the same credit as fretted electric guitars when it comes to pricing. Not sure why. What’s the difference between a high-end electric guitar and a lap steel of the same quality? Metal frets and a truss rod. Well, I build both in my shop so I know first hand installing frets and a truss rod to the neck does not add that much extra labor or material cost. I am constantly crunching my numbers to offer fair prices on my guitars and I believe any luthier out there that is charging 2 to 3k is really fair and necessary to stay in business. It does get questionable when a builder gets famous and 3 years back ordered to then charge 12k for the same guitar model he used to get 3k for. But that is how supply and demand seemed to work.

So I think a fair price for something is based on what you need and what you can afford. Be it an old Pinto or a Rolls Royce that suits you and gets you to where you need to be. So I hope every player can find the right instrument for their budget that delivers what they need to make the music that inspires both the musician and listener. Can I get an Amen?
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Amen.
Bill Asher

Re: Asher palm pedal

Post by Bill Asher »

Brad DuBow wrote:I was trying to stay under 1K. A Duesy is about 2500 - outta my range. An Asher rep emailed me. The new one due out is about 2500+ and the import model won't be available for about three years. darn.
The six string Asher Junior upgrade Hipshot double bender and new bridge is available now for $360 which brings the total price to $1035. You can just order the hardware if you already have the lap steel. It is the first hand built 8 strings with multiple benders that will be $2500 until we can justify an import model at half the price. Hope this clarifies.
Tony Francis

Post by Tony Francis »

Amen, Bill.