SXSW in March

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Craig Stock

SXSW in March

Post by Craig Stock »

I am going down to Austin for SXSW March 16-19, and was woundering who is playing the festival or if there are any tips on good steel players to hera. I already hope to catch Buritti Deluxe and Richie Furay.

Also is the Saturday Parking lot show at Texicali still going on? I caught it four years ago and it was a ball.

Thanks, Craig
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

The Saturday show at the Texacalli is still on. I may get a tenitive guest list tomorrow. Also Cornell should have his new CD available.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

The big news is that Whitehouse will be there this year.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Thanks Janice, The last one I saw there was great, Don Walser, Kinky, Johnny Bush w/ Herb Steiner, 1100 Springs, etc.

Hey Earnest, I was hoping ol 'W' would be there.

------------------
Regards, Craig

Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

I got the online schedule for the shows and I am unfamiliar with alot of the groups playing there, so recommendations are needed. A young co-worker of my wife gave me some tips but her taste is different from mine.

I was really bummed to find out that Burrito Deluxe is playing on Wed and we aren't getting there till Thurs. I wasn't aware of any shows on Wed.

Maybe Anita Kleinow knows if her Dad is playing any other gigs in Austin that week. Their website hasn't been updated.

------------------
Regards, Craig

Jon Jaffe

Post by Jon Jaffe »

I will be playing at the Texicalli Grill on E. Oltorf with The Stepsiders. It is Cornell Hurd's deal called South By South Austin. Besides The Cornell Hurd Band and the Stepsiders, Cowboys & Indians from Dallas will also be there, plus you never can tell who might show up.
Jon Jaffe

Post by Jon Jaffe »

Saturday, Jon Christopher Davis with forum member Mark Metdker will be at "The Lucky Lounge" 5:00 - 8:00 PM and "Waterloo Ice House / Americana Roots Party" 10:00 - 12:00 PM. If you need a break from SXSW. I will be playing with the Sundance Band 9-1 at Bo's Barn in Salado, about 50 miles north on I35. It is a classic Texas joint and should be lots of fun.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jon Jaffe on 20 February 2006 at 10:41 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Switzer

Post by Mark Switzer »

Can someone enlighten the ignorant (me) as to who or what Whitehouse are/is?<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Switzer on 21 February 2006 at 01:35 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Metdker

Post by Mark Metdker »

Thanks for the info Jon.

Great......we get to play TWO free gigs now, and in one night! Image

------------------
Zum U-12 w/True Tone pickup thru a Nashville 112
Strats thru a VHT Super 30
http://community.webshots.com/album/176544894AuXSmi
jonchristopherdavis.com

www.lonestarattitude.net

Bob Barone

Post by Bob Barone »

I'll be at "Spill" 6:00 PM Thursday with Wink Keziah & Delux Motel. We also have a show on Friday eve. but I do not know what the venue is as of yet. Hope you can catch the show.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

I will be at Scholz Garten Friday the 17th for Texas Music Magazine Reader Appreciation party with the Derailers
http://www.txmusic.com/index.html

Saturday the 18th at the Broken Spoke with the Derailers (this will be a huge crowd)

Earlier Saturday I'm told we are doing a Palo Duro Records showcase, but I don't have details yet. I will post when I get them.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Thanks Bob, I will try and make it,

Chris, It says only subscribers and guests allowed to the show, do you know if they will accept the SXSW badges?

Thanks for all the replys guys, I really appreciate it.

------------------
Regards, Craig

Bob Barone

Post by Bob Barone »

Last minute update.
It's 5:00 PM at Spill on Thursday and 1PM at Fuel on Friday.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Hope you don't Spill the Fuel Image, I should be there, we arrive Thursday late afternoon, thanks for the update!!

------------------
Regards, Craig

Bobby Snell

Post by Bobby Snell »

Non-SXSW at the Brentwood Tavern on Burnet (just up the road from Ginny's) Thur and Fri evenings (5-10).
http://www.musicroom.org/musicroom/nwn06.htm

Mark Metdker

Post by Mark Metdker »

Chris, the Palo Duro thing is at "The Lucky Lounge" 5:00 - 8:00 PM. I think ya'll are the second band and go on right after Darryl Lee Rush. We play right after you boys. I think they are trying to hustle ya'll out so you can get to your other gig on time.
Craig, not sure if they are accepting "badge wearers" or not. You should try to come by anyway, should be fun. Tell the guy at the door you are our steel guitar tech. Image

------------------
jonchristopherdavis.com

www.lonestarattitude.net

Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Thanks Mark, I'll try and make it there, Just packin' up tonight and haedin' out early, hope to see some of you guys in the next few days. Craig
Chris Schlotzhauer

Hey Mark, you're right. We'll be at the Lucky Lounge alright. If I thought I could play a 12 string, (which I can't), I would ask to play your Zum rather that haul my rig in through all the madness.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Whitehouse was supposed to be the last act at Room 710 tonite but I don't see that listed anymore.
Mark Metdker

Post by Mark Metdker »

Chris, that's weird. I was gonna try and play yours....again! HA!

See ya'll in Austin.
Chris Schlotzhauer

We have to split pretty soon after our set, otherwise you could play my new Rains. I'll be able to hang out for a while, but not long.
Mark Metdker

Post by Mark Metdker »

Craig, it was great meeting you in Austin the other day. Hope you enjoyed all the music. Hopefully we'll see you again down the road.

Chris, the new Rains looks and sounds great!

------------------
jonchristopherdavis.com

www.lonestarattitude.net

Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Mark, Yes, It was great meeting you and your son on Saturday, you played really well too. The Lucky Lounge is a really nice place and the Palo Duro showcase was really fun.

I have some good shots of you and the band which I will send to you.

Chris, Nice meeting you too, Man the Derailers really rock it, very enjoyable show.

Bob Barone, I heard you guys playing on Thursday from outside, the guy at the door wouldn't let us in. The band and you sounded great. Sorry I didn't make the Friday show, I wanted to catch it.

On the whole SXSW was a ton of fun, I'm still writing down all the shows I saw in the three days we were there. It was nice being back down in Texas, you guys really have a great thing going down there, I really miss it. Had some good BBQ and met up with an old friend from back in College in Lubbock.

Thanks again and hope to see you all again next time.

------------------
Regards, Craig

Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

It was the biggest SXSW ever and I missed it entirely. People have asked why I wasn't around. Well, besides not being booked with any artists appearing at the show, I went fishing at Lake Fork for three days after the Jamboree and then immediately went on a 3-day road trip with Gary P. Nunn. So I got back on Sunday totally drained and just rested enough to have breakfast on Monday with my pal Charlie McCardell before he left town.

I do really regret not getting to hang with Craig, Joe G., Mark, Chris S., and some of y'all others. Glad everyone had a good time, though. I had to make some bucks, I guess.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association