Jagwire Strings ( where are they ? )

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Bingo!!!

And a round of applause to the man whose gray matter has not yet turned white!!!

:lol:
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

not steel strings but I woulld think the process is similar?

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=4_MVOZnhL ... re=related
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

So if I change my 3rd/5th string every week do I still need the 100,000 mile string ?

Does the 100,000 mile string begin to deteriorate in "brilliance" over the short term of regular consistent use ?

Should I buy Dolly Madison, Breyer's or Harris Teeter Ice Cream ? I usually never finish the whole box before it gets freezer burn anyway, and they all taste good to me.

I bought some of those never been curved strings...they were straight until I put them on the guitar, then they were not straight anymore, well at least on the ends...in between they were still straight.

Happy New Year

t
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Dick Sexton

Some comparisons...

Post by Dick Sexton »

Yes it is on a six string guitar with rock riffs but there is a noticeable difference.

D'Addario verses Ernie Ball
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG7NMmI8G0U&NR=1

D's... A little brighter, Maybe!
D's... A little more sustain, Maybe!

I use Ernie's by the way, and like Mr. Prior, change the 3 and 5 very often. Seldom break a string...

Oh, I also lean toward a little more mellow tone, good thing I guess...
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

Breyers
Danny Hullihen

Post by Danny Hullihen »

What Paul Franklin and Bobby Lee has posted here pretty much hits the nail on the head for an explanation. What Paul has posted in his response to try to answer some of the questions is a "matter-of fact" and NOT an assumption of any kind! Please keep in mind guys that Paul is a guy with more experience in one finger in this industry than most of us will probably ever acquire in a life time. He's definately been "around the block" more than just a few times on subjects such as this, and has first-hand experience and in-depth knowledge about this.

With regards to "secrets" just about every industry I can think of has "trade secrets" about a product they make and/or distribute, and there's good reason for that. If such was not the case, then everything would be pretty much the same. Nothing better, nothing worse, just all the same. Here at Jagwire, we believe we make a better product "specifically" for the steel guitarist. It took many years of research and hands-on help from the best-of-the-best in the industry to develop this. In defense of that statement, we currently have the largest list of endorsements in the world when it comes to steel guitarists. We didn't accomplish by "giving away" product, it was accomplished by sincere proof in the product.

I realize some may argue that, and I respect your opinions and comments. Nonetheless, I beleive that Jagwire has proved itself for many years now, and our goal will always be to make a better product for the steel players however and whenever possible. For those that feel the cheaper products are just as good, I have no argument with you, and I am happy you are satisfied. No harm, no foul.

I apologize for the big delays we've been experiencing, but please know that we are doing our very best to try to correct that. We won't accept substandard product, and we wouldn't knowingly send anything even close to that out of here. "We truly care" and we know that you do too.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

I buy Jagwires because one day on the forum I saw Danny reach out to help a fellow steeler in need...i cant even remember what was goin on or who it was, but that day he earned my respect. why not buy from a forumite and guy I like? In addition to those considerations, they seem like great strings.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Jagwires are great strings.

Buying them from b0b is a great way to help support The Steel Guitar Forum.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Just to clarify where I'm coming from, I by no means meant to imply anything negative about anyone, certainly not about Jagwire, who are the original subject of this thread, which I seem to have unintentionally hijacked.

I've just been struck for years by the fact that one often reads, or hears, "There are only a few actual manufacturers, and most brands are really made by those few", but no one ever has names for those few. As I said in my first post, I think most people can readily accept that a particular brand may order their products to their specifications from a manufacturer, rather than doing the actual manufacturing in house. That obviously doesn't mean that a given brand of string is "the same as Brand X with a different package and an inflated price".

But I've always just been basically idly curious. I apologize to all, and especially to Danny, for opening a minor can of worms. :oops:
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I would like to try a set of Jagwires.I went to my local music store a while ago and the kid behind the counter held up a pack of some brand of Jerry Douglas Dobro strings and matter of factly told me that these are the strings that all of the big name steel players in Nashville are using...I almost punched him square in the mouth! :lol: :lol:
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

Ben
Danny helped out my friend in Florida.

I see that what has been said has a lot of merit from Paul and also Danny and Larry.

When I was starting out playing in the 50's my grandfather who was a machinist brought me home several gauged coils of piano wire. Each roll had to be at least 100' long. My grandfather was also a concert violinist when young and also made double bass fiddles so he was aware of what I needed for my guitar.
So what am I getting at. The point is yes, as Larry pointed out guitar strings are piano wire. Now who does the actual melting of the steel and draws it though the dies is the mystery here.

As Paul has said I'm sure there are different qualities of wire. That only stands to reason that all things aren't the same.
Don
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Tony I'll respond to your questions, not trying to change your mind......Just stating a difference of opinion.....My opinion is based on dealing with all of the manufacturers when we researched the options and marketed the Franklin Strings...

Tony: Does the 100,000 mile string begin to deteriorate in "brilliance" over the short term of regular consistent use ?

Not as much as the cheaper second and third grade wire of the same composition........

Tony: Should I buy Dolly Madison, Breyer's or Harris Teeter Ice Cream ? I usually never finish the whole box before it gets freezer burn anyway, and they all taste good to me.

......I experienced all grades responding differently to tuning, sustain, and have a different tunable life span.....They all sound and respond differently just as each of those Ice Cream brands taste different.........Unlike the Ice Cream analogy, strings have extremely varied shelf lives......And some lose their flavor rather quickly.......

Happy New Year,

Paul
Last edited by Franklin on 31 Dec 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Happy New Year, Paul. Thanks for your input on the Forum.
Steve Ahola

Post by Steve Ahola »

Although I have found big differences in the tone from wound strings, I was under the impression that all of the plain strings were basically the same, with the only difference being on the ball end. I have always replaced the plain strings that break (or die) on my guitar with Ernie Ball singles which I buy by the 6 pack which brings the price down.

Wound strings are much more complicated. For starters the core can be round or hex shaped. And there are several varieties of wraps used which I believe makes a big difference in the tone. And round wound, flat wound and half flat wound.

I always wished that the vendors would give us more information about their wound strings. Like the diameter and composition of the core and of the wrap. I think that the diameter of the wrap is very important for steel guitar, since a finer "grain" usually gives you a smoother sound. (Dobro strings seem to have a coarser grain.) The wound strings I have gotten from b0b and Tom Bradshaw all have a "grain" that is ideal for steel guitar IMO.

A question for Paul- I have noticed that some of the wound strings get kinda dead much quicker than I'd like. They rarely break for me. So are the higher quality strings better in that regard? Like I said I replace bad or broken plain strings for all of my guitars and steels with Ernie Ball singles so that is not an issue with me; I only care about the quality of the wound strings.

BTW while the gauges for pedal steel are fairly standard (E9 and C6 for the 10 stringers), the gauges for lap steel are all over the map depending on the tuning being used. So I wish that companies like Jagwire would sell wound strings as singles in various gauges. I would expect to pay more for the "odd ball" gauges than the ones he uses in his sets. Oh well, I wish that I'll win the lottery, too, even though I never play. ;)

Steve Ahola

EDIT: I just noticed that the Martin SP acoustic strings (plain) are bronzed steel. Also, just because a manufacturer like GHS makes strings for other companies doesn't mean that you can get the exact same strings from GHS. I'm pretty sure that the contract between GHS and the vendor considers the exact formulation to be proprietary information and that the vendor will be the only source of those strings. (That is how most of the transformer companies handle the big custom orders.)

Of course, I am sure that GHS has their line of stock strings for the cheaper vendors who will brand the packaging with their own name and graphics. Those might be the ones you see on sale for $4.00 (I am referring to strings for standard electric and acoustic guitars, not steel guitars.)
Last edited by Steve Ahola on 7 Jan 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I have noticed a big difference in plain strings between brands. To the point where the same gauge plain strings need different set ups on my steel.

Steve, Jagwire makes up custom gauge sets for me with no problem. I have never had a problem getting odd ball string sets from different string companies.

I really like Jagwire strings. I also use John Pearse strings.
Bob
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Come on, Tony. If you can't distinguish between Breyer's ice cream and a grocery store brand then how can we go with your advice on steel guitar strings? :lol:

Thanks for what's been explained here on all sides. I'm going to give Jags a try. I hate breaking strings because it always startles (scares the crap out of) me.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
J Hollenberg

Post by J Hollenberg »

I've always used Emmons strings till someone told me that GHS made the strings and that they were put in a Emmons package.Because everybody was telling that Jagwires were the strings, I have tried a package.
I have no doubt about the quality,but tone/sound is another question.About the plain strings no comment, but i don't like the sound of the nickel wound strings.So i am back with Emmons/GHS strings.So everybody has his favourite brand of strings and quality is a lesser issue, certainly when you change strings often enough.
Sjaak Hollenberg
Emmons Lashley LeGrande SD10 from 1993
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Ron Page wrote:Come on, Tony. If you can't distinguish between Breyer's ice cream and a grocery store brand then how can we go with your advice on steel guitar strings? :lol:

But I didn't give any advice !

actually I prefer Breyers , on sale or we don't get any...not long ago they had one of those buy 2 get 3 for free..!!

Now what the heck can you do with 5 half gallons of Ice Cream !

Ok, truth be known, I was never a fan of cheap strings anyway..

Paul, last time I was at St Louis I bought about 6 packs of spares from your Dad...11's and 15's..

Generally I use Cobra strings , they have been very consistent, I have also used Jags, no issues, liked em' fine...but still changed 3 and 5 every week when playing regularly...I must have a heavy foot...

Once I got 20 free sets of MARRS guitar strings when they opened a store here in Charlotte. I got out of them what I paid, put one set on and within 20 minutes took them off...

And don't knock the Premium Harris Teeter Ice Cream, it ain't bad ....

I love these "strings" threads, they are my favorite .

t
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Steve Ahola

Post by Steve Ahola »

Bob Hoffnar wrote:I have noticed a big difference in plain strings between brands. To the point where the same gauge plain strings need different set ups on my steel.

Steve, Jagwire makes up custom gauge sets for me with no problem. I have never had a problem getting odd ball string sets from different string companies.
Thanks for that information! My experience with plain strings from different vendors is mainly with electric guitars and lap steels. If you have to readjust the tension on your pedal steel, then that is a very convincing argument as to their being differences.

I'll have to check with Jagwire about the custom sets because I am using less common tunings on some of my lap steels. Is there someone who will make up custom phosphor bronze sets for the W-type hollow neck Hawaiian lap steels?

Steve
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Steve,
John Pearse will make you custom sets of phosphor bronze. Shoot them a note.

http://www.jpstrings.com/index.htm
Bob
Steve Ahola

Post by Steve Ahola »

Bob Hoffnar wrote:Steve,
John Pearse will make you custom sets of phosphor bronze. Shoot them a note.

http://www.jpstrings.com/index.htm
Thanks! Their prices look very reasonable especially considering that I had to buy 4 sets of Martin SP's to string up 2 W-birds to A6 and E9. Now to figure out what to do with all of the leftovers...

So how are his pure nickle wound strings? Nickel doesn't seem to last as long as the other varieties but I love how they sound!

Steve :(

P.S. The name W-birds just now popped into my head. Is there a better term for the W copies since the W word is proprietary? :lol:
W. J. Copeland

Post by W. J. Copeland »

Danny H. Are we any closer to solving the problem on the Jagwire string supply. From everyone's response, I think we all agree on how well we like Jagwire's. I enjoy the consistancy and quality of these strings. I have five steels and I never have to adjust from one set to the next when I change strings. I don't care where you get them, I want some more. Thanks.
Danny Hullihen

Post by Danny Hullihen »

W.J. A new shipment of wire arived here yesterday, and we are processing it now. We expect to be shipping product out this week. Bobby Lee will be receiving the first of these shipments.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your great support and patience, and for the deep unmovable dedication all of you have shown to Jagwire Strings products.
Chuck Thompson

Post by Chuck Thompson »

:D :D :D HOOOOORAAAAY!!!! :D :D :D
Bill Rowlett

Post by Bill Rowlett »

A long time ago, when he was first starting out, Danny sent me a free sample or Beta set(I don't remember which) of Jagwire E9th strings. I put them on an Emmon's push pull and have not changed them or had one break to this day. I admit that I don't play near as much as most of you and I'm not too picky about playing dead strings, but these still sound great. The harmonics don't ring out as easily as a new set, but what the heck. I can't image not breaking a 3rd string during that period of time, which has to be at least two years or more. I'm sure that this is an anomaly, but when one breaks I guess that I may order another set...

Bill