Pedal Steel Guitar & Contemporary Christian Music

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Darrell Owens

Pedal Steel Guitar & Contemporary Christian Music

Post by Darrell Owens »

Many steel players who play in church have found their fair share of frustration in any attempt to blend the pedal steel with current trends in Christian Contemporary music.

Recently, I was invited to speak and play guitar at Christian Life Center in Austin Texas. It is a large church with an exciting praise team and band. Nothing unusual about that, except that right in the center of the stage is a beautiful white MSA pedal steel guitar! AND sitting behind that guitar is super player, Darvin Willhoite. He is not just there for "show". He plays very tasteful and appropriate fills, and when his turn comes, he finds a way to put that pure country tone of the pedal steel right in the middle of that Contemporary worship, and the people LOVE it!

Darvin proves that the pedal steel guitar fits very well in Contemporary Christian Music, if the player is willing to learn a few new tricks and keep a good attitude.
Zum Steel, Little Walter Amp, Benado Steel Dream
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Albert Svenddal

Post by Albert Svenddal »

Darrell,

I could not agree with you more. I have been playing in churches as a music evangelist for many years now and have played many styles of music including Contemporary Christian Music.

I have found that once some of the people in the church get past the basic stereotype of the instrument, they almost always enjoy the sound of the steel guitar But you are right, it needs to be played to fit the style also.

Blessings, Albert
Williams D-12 9x7, Emmons PP D-10, 8X5, Quilter SteeAire amp.
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

I served a church here near Nashville for many years as a pianist /band leader. I've played ever song imaginable over the years from CCM. Many of these songs are just wonderful for steel guitar! Onward and upward my friend!!!

ZK
Zane King
Email: zaneking@me.com
Glyndon Woosley

Post by Glyndon Woosley »

I occasionally play mine in the church services. It seems to work out good. Again as been said, using "good judgement" makes the differance. Any instrument, etc. can be a problem if "manners" are neglected.
Sierra Session D10, Rickenbacker, Fender, Session 400, Classic 30, Harke
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Quote..."In the center of the stage is a beautiful white MSA pedal steel guitar! AND sitting behind that guitar is super player, Darvin Willhoite. He is not just there for "show". He plays very tasteful and appropriate fills, and when his turn comes, he finds a way to put that pure country tone of the pedal steel right in the middle of that Contemporary worship, and the people LOVE it!"

I second that about Darvin,he does play very tasteful, also handy at rebuilding/refurbishing PSG. I have been in the praise and worship team at my Church for a couple of years now, and enjoying every minute of it. Everyone says, they like the steel guitar in the mix.

It was mentioned by someone that steel guitar was a honky tonk instrument, therefore doesn't belong in Church, I always mention that the piano was in saloons and bars long before steel guitar was ever thought of..never heard anyone mention piano not belonging in Church..Go figger.

Bill
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I go to a church where one of the instruments used in the church is a dobro, and several of my friends at my church say they want to hear me play steel in church. I think playin' steel in church would be awesome!My church is a little country church and I think it'd be awesome to play steel at my little church.

Brett
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Nice shot Erv, A good friend once said, the retirement benefits, and the man you're working for can't be beat..Bill
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Glen Derksen

Post by Glen Derksen »

It really bugs me when people put restrictions on a musical instrument just because they think it's too Rock and Roll or Honky Tonk or voodoo or whatever. That's just out and out legalism. Name any musical instrument that cannot be used for the glory of God.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Wow, this was an unexpected shock. Thanks for the compliments Bro. Darrell. We really enjoyed Barbara's singing, your playing, and your message, you touched our hearts.

PS. We really love ole' Uncle Garth around here too, he is a fantastic person.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Darrell,
The next time somebody gives you a bad time about having a pedal steel in church, tell them that there are three references in the Psalms to an instrument of 10 atrings. Ask them how many instruments do they know that have 10 strings?
Here are the references (King Jamesa):
Psalms 33:2
Psalms 92:3
Psalms 144:9
Darrell Owens

Post by Darrell Owens »

Darvin, If you have a photo of yourself with the church band, please post it here on the forum.
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Mark Ardito

Post by Mark Ardito »

I play guitar in my church band, and in the past 3 years have now introduced Pedal Steel to the congregation. They have REALLY loved having it mixed in with our contemporary service. I've also reworked a lot of hymns into a more "contemporary" style with Pedal Steel and they have also enjoyed that.

Cheers!
Mark Ardito
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Darrell, I don't have a picture of the band, we're always stuck behind the Praise Singers and are not very visible anyway. But, here are links to some of our music. These songs were recorded directly off the board with no editing, mistakes and all.

This is a new one from a couple of weeks ago, this was the first time we had done it. The acoustic guitar player hit a couple of clinkers at first, but the rest turned out OK.
http://www.box.net/shared/570fymc8zq

Here's one that I use distortion on.
http://www.box.net/shared/8q4fcpqap4

This one has a good bit of steel on it.
http://www.box.net/shared/gavfdpehgg

No steel on this one, I used a Line 6 Variax guitar with a Sitar patch on the solo parts, it works pretty good. Overdriven chords on the rest of the song.
http://www.box.net/shared/8gdks8vogb

Here's one of my favorites, I used an Ebow on the second verse.
http://www.box.net/shared/poz838x30v
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Wesley Medlen

Psg In Church

Post by Wesley Medlen »

I have been playing in a cowboy church band in a small place in east Kansas since Jan. have picked up a lot of friends we do quite a bit of southern gospel. I think it is a beautiful way to worship the LORD. Every one likes the come as you are atmosphere and our membership is growing God Blwss Wes
Justice S10 Jr, Gibson Electra 6string, Boss Katana 100, Steelers Choice ,Gretsch 6 string lap, Hilton VP
L. A. Wunder

Post by L. A. Wunder »

I play dobro with the "Contemporary choir" at a Catholic church. I've been with the choir for the past 5 years. I played PSG for 2 1/2 years but they didn't quite agree on my interpretation of it as "an istrument of 10 strings" and decided they didn't want it. I've been on dobro ever since.
Darrell Owens

Post by Darrell Owens »

Darvin,

"Thank You For The Cross
" is a good example of Steel laying down a nice "pad" behind the singers. Very nice fill and adds just enough "Austin" flavor to remind you that after all, this is Texas!
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

I play E9 every Sunday in a Roman Catholic church. I think He likes it 'cause He helps me get better! ;-)
Would love to hear dobro in praise setting if anybody's got a cut.

Nice work Darvin. I couldn't consider any stomp boxes in the setting I'm in. Just lot's of sustaining intervals and some angel kisses here and there with an ocassional gliss. I guess there's some pickin' stuff too, but not lots. I love it.
Doug Ferguson

Post by Doug Ferguson »

I played with our praise team band this last Sunday for the first time, and it was very fulfilling. I've played hundreds of country gigs in my past and this is the first time I had no nervousness before and during the time I played. It felt very much like this was where I was supposed to be all along. After all, God gave us the musical talents, so think about how pleasing it is to Him when we use those talents to worship Him!
Fergy, MSA Classic D12, MSA Classic S10, Peavey Session 500
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Doug,
Now you've got the Spirit(Holy, that is)! :D
Doug Ferguson

Post by Doug Ferguson »

That's right Erv! :D
Fergy, MSA Classic D12, MSA Classic S10, Peavey Session 500
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Just recently, as part of my testimony at my church, I played "Old Rugged Cross" on steel in my little church, and everybody loved it! Everybody came up to see my Jackson Blackjack Custom after the service and they loved how it looks and sounds!There's a video on YouTube now of me playin' "Old Rugged Cross".

Brett
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

My advise to anyone wanting to learn the steel guitar is to learn it on the Lord's music.

When you are making a joyful noise unto the Lord, the Holy Spirit is standing right beside you with His hand on your shoulder guiding you along. :D
Steve Roberts

Cont Christian songs for Steel

Post by Steve Roberts »

For you guys that have been playing your steel in CCM settings please send song titles and even links to your recordings like Davin did. I recently played my steel at the funeral service for my mother (her only request) and there was an outpouring of comments and interest in the guitar from many who attended. Our young worship minister had never really hear a PSG (imagine that) and now wants me to switch between the Srat and The PSG. Nothing would make me happier than to worship the One who made me using "the one who brung me"! :)
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i'm not an evagelical type, however i've played some big beautiful christian stage sevice/gigs. it always feels good.i understand and accept the concept of loving one's neighbor.
my hope is that once these people leave in their cars and trucks, they leave their hate and road rage behind and spread the harmony of peace. i've met alot of hypocrites. there are many sweaty, smarmy tv evangelists that make me very uncomfortable.