2-Desert Rose stolen in Phoenix

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Douglas Hudson

Post by Douglas Hudson »

Sorry to hear about your loss Joe. Keep your chin up. I will be praying for you for the safe return of your instruments. I know how hard it is to replace.
Douglas Hudson
Mark Herrick

Post by Mark Herrick »

<SMALL>...sound like someone thats knows all about you...</SMALL>
Not to start sounding paranoid...but...

Scammers prowl our (and other forums) looking for people to scam with e-mails, etc.

What is to keep them from prowling around looking for people with valuable instruments to steal? We post pictures so they know what to look for. We list profiles that tell them where we live. We use our real names so they know who we are.

Maybe I am being paranoid.

Maybe not...
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

How do they know your address?
Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

Mr. Joe,
Hi. I started not to post this idea because it may sound silly, but if my axes had been stolen, this is what I would do.

By the end of this week, if your thief (or thieves) plan on pawning your steels, they will probably think the dust has settled by then and will try to proceed with pawning.

I would start calling area pawn shops in your state and any other state your close enough they could go to and ask "Hi, I am looking to buy a pedal steel guitar and wondered if you have any for sale".

This will not alert any "dishonest" pawnbrokers that you are looking for YOUR steel and they would be likely to gladly tell you they have a steel (hopefully yours) in stock.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This in no way infers that ALL pawnbrokers are dishonest...no flames please]</p></FONT>

Like I said, crazy idea, but I'd give it a shot. Hope I never have to.

Best wishes,
Bryan
Troy Porter

Post by Troy Porter »

Mark, Good point. There are many way's for a thief to get information on his next victum. We will never be able to prevent this so the only choice we have is to try to make their dastardly task as difficult as possible. I personally feel that a monitored security system is an absolute must. There is a charge for the monitoring but most insurance company's will give you a break on premiums if you have one. Also, your house will move farther down on the hit list. If they do break in, they won't hang around long with an alarm sounding off, knowing the police will show up any minute.
Other things to do are:
Keep pictures, serial numbers etc. of your valuable possessions in a safe place.

Make your home as secure as possible but do not install bars on windows and doors that would make it difficult to exit in case of an emergency.

Watch out for suspicious activity in your neighborhood.

Form or participate in your neighborhood crime watch program.

Never believe that this only happens to others and could never happen to you.

Help whenever you can on the war on drugs.

I'm sure that many of you could add to the list of things to do to help prevent these terrible losses. Some of these things may be a costly and/or time consuming but is well worth the time and money spent to avoid the losses, and sometimes more importantly, the feeling of having been violated by this thieving trash.

I apologize if this sounds bitter, but it really URKS me to know that material things stolen from us are mostly going to support some worthless drug dealer and his/her habits.

Troy

No address

U.S.A.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Man i hate people like that i've had a few stolen send me a discription and i'll keep an eye in the hock shops cause i wanta see the you know whats wiped out motorcyclebill@isp.com

------------------
Bill Tauson

Post by Bill Tauson »

I've addressed this before, but it's worth repeating.

Without getting lengthy, there is a computer system that law enforcement uses throughout the United States. It important that you have the serial numbers so they can be tracked. Receipts and photos are also wise to help you prove the equipment is yours, possibly years later.

Some pawn shops are good, some not so honest. I suggest doing your own footwork and checking the pawn shops,etc. If you find it, don't say anything. Contact the local law enforcement agency and they can put a hold on it and investigate it.

This forum with hundreds of steel players is also a great resource.
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Well guys and gals I just got back on line. I am overwhelmed with all the responces. Between the many on here and a bunch of personal emails I think we have the water front covered.

I now have about half the finger print dust cleaned up and have been contacted by the police assuring me they have put out the word to all pond shops (or as someone else called them hock shops) I just hope they turn up. If someone just came by and left them in my drive I would be a happy camper.

Was not ready to buy a new computer but have one and am trying to get it up an going but just had to say Thanks to all.

Image I am keeping my chin up but it ain't easy.

------------------
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix)Desert Rose Guitar, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Association

Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Joe, I would figure you have about 3000 steel players on the lookout for your guitars and that includes me. I will be on watch for any Desert Rose guitar in my part of the country.
Jerry
Larry Lorows

Post by Larry Lorows »

sorry to hear aout your loss. My ex-wife stole all six of my guitars and I found out she gave them to some dude she met on the internet. He has them or sold them in Indiana, and she says she didn't get any money out of him. ha ha Best news I heard.It took me awhile to replace them but I have. Good luck. Larry

------------------
U12 Williams keyless 400
Evans SE 150, Nashville 112, Line 6 pod xt
Jim Hinton

Post by Jim Hinton »

Years ago my steel guitar was stolen here in Phoenix.

I did the same thing you're doing now, I contacted every steel player I knew, thinking that whoever had my guitar would want to sell it, or learn to play it.

Sure enough, it worked! A fellow steeler name Mark Frederick called me and told me that a guy was trying to sell it at the Greyhound Racing Track "Park and Swap".

I still remember the guy's name that had it. His name is Milton Shauset, a guitar dealer that had moved to Phoenix from Chicago.

I got my guitar back, and believe that you will too. These gadgets are kinda rare, and you're sounds very easy to indentify.

Don't give up hope, and keep in contact with all other steel players. I understand that the Southwestern Steel Association in Mesa is having a big gathering in January. Perhaps contacting Billy Easton could help spread the word of your situation.

Be of good faith and cheer my friend ... I truly know how you feel.

Jim Hinton
John Rickard

Post by John Rickard »

Joe,
I got you covered on the "West Side". I'll be checking pawn shops etc. I have friends that work in a couple and they will keep me posted.
JR
Steven Black

Post by Steven Black »

Joe, pawn shops are usually the places where they will show up at, another place could be Flea Markets, those people there will sell anything, so if you know of any flea markets in your area, go check those out.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Just my 2 cents, but my prediction is that they won't try to sell them within the state. So that's why it's important for steelers all over the U.S. to keep an eye out. Some of these thief networks are vast.

I agree with some of the other guys that the chances of you seeing those guitars again are very good to very probable. Steelers don't deal in stolen goods. They usually know the history of the guitar they're buying. Also, these Desert Rose guitars are anything but mass-produced!

They need to find a steel player to buy them eventually, otherwise they're useless. Therefore, they will eventually collide with a forumite who'll handle the situation appropriately.

My heart goes out to you. Best of luck.
Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

I just thought of another place to look... Perhaps they might show up on Craigslist?

Just a thought.

Blessings,
BigB
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Thanks again for all the response. I have had law enforcement alerted in several areas due to this posting. Pawn Shops are aware also. There has been a fairly good search of Pond Shops and it is still going on. Keep looking out for me.

Thanks again. Image I have to keep smilin'

Desert Rose-less in AZ

------------------
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix)Desert Rose Guitar, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Association

Rick Ulrich

Post by Rick Ulrich »

Joe, these characters can't be too smart or they wouldn't have taken the steels. The other stuff yes, but the steels are like waving a red flag. They will turn up, I just hope in the same condition as when they were taken.
John Richmond

Post by John Richmond »

Joe, I sure do hate this for you. Can you possibly post a picture of the 2 steels and/or the 3 guitars? We'll be on the lookout in the eastern NM/west Texas area. I hope you get them back.

------------------
John Richmond
Shorty Smith

Post by Shorty Smith »

Sorry to hear that Joe, I wure will keep my eyes open here in Ga, good luck on finding all you instruments
Paul Honeycutt

Post by Paul Honeycutt »

In the last week I've heard from two different people on two different forums who had instruments stolen who GOT THEM BACK!!! I think the internet is making it harder for thiefs to fence stolen gear. Suddenly EVERYONE knows about it.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and keep on the look out for your instruments. Is there anyone in Las Vegas on the list who could be on the look out there?
John Hobaugh

Post by John Hobaugh »

Joe , we will keep an eye out for them in the four corners of N. Mex. John
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Please keep lookin'

No word yet

Thanks to all - Image

Steel-less Joe

------------------

Bennie Hensley

Post by Bennie Hensley »

Joe, a friend of mine had the same thing happen and we found his D10 at a music store here in town on consignment for $250.00..
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Jim - That's what the police tell me I just wish I could get them back too.

Thanks for the note.

steel-less -----Joe Image

------------------