What is 'that vintage sound'?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

So what is 'that vintage sound' regarding pedal steel guitars?
To me, it is a sales pitch. I tend to shy away from "vintage" items, opting for the later, more technologically advanced items.

For pedal steels, I would take the Excel, GFI, Lamar, etc, over the Emmons and Sho-Buds.

Exception #1 Analog delays. They may not run as quiet, but to me they are "warmer" sounding.

Exception #2 Well built tube amps, with lots of clean headroom.

IMHO.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

If you were to play a Jackson Steel, the sound and tone would remind you of the Sho-Bud tone and sounds of the 1960's, so it's a new guitar with a vintage sound. The Jackson Steel is built by Shot Jackson's two sons, David and Harry and they sure know how to build wonderful guitars.

Brett
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

Bigsby thru tube Standel.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Brett Day wrote:If you were to play a Jackson Steel, the sound and tone would remind you of the Sho-Bud tone and sounds of the 1960's, so it's a new guitar with a vintage sound. The Jackson Steel is built by Shot Jackson's two sons, David and Harry and they sure know how to build wonderful guitars.

Brett

Can't justify the price, as I am not playing enough steel anymore, but from what I have seen and heard, there is NO modern steel I would rather have than a Jackson... Hands down... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......