Instrument scale length - what difference does it make?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Paul Seager

Instrument scale length - what difference does it make?

Post by Paul Seager »

I am essentially a beginner but thinking of buying a more professinal instrument and have noticed that scale lengths vary from 22 to 26 inches. I think I probably know the answers to this but I'm aware that many of you have good collections and may be aware of how a longer scale length affects one's playing.

I used to be a bassist so I know that a longer scale generally means stronger lows in the tone, better sustain, etc. I can't imagine that its any different for a steel. But how does it affect slants - my logic says that it makes some slants more difficult but is it that much of a difference or is just a case of adapting?
Peter Lindelauf

Post by Peter Lindelauf »

Think you answered the question about sustain. Here's a page from John Ely's site with regard to ease/difficulty of playing slants and the 'doability' of playing slants on various steels. As a new player, definitely find it easier to play slants on my made in Quebec walnut lap steel which has a longer (by 1.5 inches or so) scale and wider string-spacing than my Fender Champ, for example. Just checked with a measuring tape and the Quebec guitar has +/- 7/16 spacing versus 3/8 on the Champ. Surprising what a difference a 1/16 makes.

http://www.hawaiiansteel.com/instrument ... angles.php
...but you are the music / while the music lasts (TS Eliot)
Tom Karsiotis

Post by Tom Karsiotis »

I have found that Peter is correct about string spacing. The 7/16" string spacing makes a big difference in keeping 3 string slants in tune. I have an old Multi-Kord with 7/16" spacing and a 23" scale length. It is the most accurate of my steel guitars for slants. The scale length makes little difference as you can see in the attachment. I made the measurements when the drawing was at 50% so you should double them, however the error at the middle string is very close in both cases. The longer scale will give you more sustain. The only thing that saves my Multi-Kord is that is a huge plank of old Honduras Mahogany and that helps with the sustain.
Paul Seager

Post by Paul Seager »

Thank you both.

Your comments have been very helpful. Well, has my desire of owning a Fender Stringmaster diminished because of the longer slants? Heck no!
Bill Brummett

Post by Bill Brummett »

The other aspect of the longer scale lengths is that the harmonics are much easier and ring better. I have a 26" Stringmaster and the tone is mind boggling.. but yes the slants, especially in the lower frets, are more difficult.
Steve Ahola

Post by Steve Ahola »

I just checked and my 1948 Gibson Century 6 has a string spacing of 0.48 (which would be like 31/64th- almost a half an inch!) The scale is 22 1/2" which IMO works well with that steel. My Chandler RH-2 has a 23 1/2" scale and a string spacing of slightly under 7/16" and that works great, too. If I am holding the steel in my lap I wouldn't want the scale much more than that- my arms are only so long. :eek: That would not be a problem for me with a console steel like a Stringmaster since I wouldn't be balancing the darn thing in my lap.

As for sustain, I think that the quality of the wood would be just as important as scale length. I agree that the lower notes would sustain better with a long scale but I think that the higher notes would ring out more with a shorter scale. String tension would also have a big effect but don't let it get too high or you can damage the steel, especially the tuning keys.

Steve Ahola
Ted Smith
Location: Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"

sweet spot

Post by Ted Smith »

Longer scale = wider sweet spot for the guitar to sound in tune.
You'll notice it the most playing with a band - short scale is far more unforgiving mho
John Groover McDuffie

Post by John Groover McDuffie »

Most dobros are 25" scale I think. FWIW
Twayn Williams

Re: sweet spot

Post by Twayn Williams »

Ted Smith wrote:Longer scale = wider sweet spot for the guitar to sound in tune.
You'll notice it the most playing with a band - short scale is far more unforgiving mho
quoted for truth
Primitive Utility Steel
basilh

Post by basilh »

I find that even alternating betwixt different scale length guitars during a gig isn't a problem.

22.5" up to 26" on my guitars and all-sorts in-between.

22.5" Gibson lap steels, 23" Fender 400-1000-800-2000 AND PS-210, 25.5" Tricone and Spider-bridge resos and 26" Stringmaster..
I must admit that the 26" Stringmaster has the best sustain by a million miles. Although my 24.375" Emmons PP gives the Stringmaster a run for it's money..
Tom Wolverton

Blender?

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I've never seen a 26" Stringmaster with a PU blender pot. Did Fender ever make them this way?
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

It's easy to prove mathematically that the longer the string, the longer the sustain. I've built console steels with as much as a 30" scale, and the improvement in sustain is profound. If you find slants more difficult to play with a longer scale then just play higher up the fingerboard. Remember, that you can always shorten strings with your tone bar, but you can't lengthen them.