Cutting Edge Technology - Steel of the Future!! NO 2

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

C Dixon

Cutting Edge Technology - Steel of the Future!! NO 2

Post by C Dixon »

I am sure all of us got a very good laugh :lol: out of that awesome and painful thread! My compliments to its creator.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=194925

I would offer a sequal to it; in the following protocol:

Cutting Edge Technology that I hope will one day be a reality in our favorite Instrument:

"THE world's MOST beautiful musical instrument!"

(Listed in the order of most needed to least needed, IMO:

1. Adjustable nut rollers; with the adjusters easily engaged from the TOP of the guitar. To insure that NO matter what gauge string, the player could instantly and continuously adjust the roller(s) so all strings were dead on "CO-planar" at the top of the strings passing over the nut.

2. The totally elimination of any semblance of "Hysterisis". IE: strings that do not return to pitch when those strings are raised AND lowered (or vice versa).

3. Cabinet Drop and Raise! IE: strings that lower (or drop) when other strings are raised (or lowered).

4. Pedals AND knee levers, that are easily and continuously adjustable; according to the desires of the player; when it comes to front, back, left or right AND up and down AND angular.

5. ALL pulls on a given pedal OR knee lever; leaving AND stopping at the exact same instant in time and travel. With one exception: Those places where it is desirable to delay given pulls; such as the 9th string (E9th); or the 2nd string on the PF knee lever, etc, etc.

6. The total elimination permanently of any string breakage, EXCEPT long after they go dead.

7. ALL precision ball bearings in ANY pivots on the guitar; regardless of its location.

8. ZERO noise emanating from ANY place on that guitar. Unless the player desires it; for whatever reason!

8. Pick Ups that were dead flat in their passband response; and totally void of ANY extraneous sounds of ANY kind; except for the sounds a player desires.

9. The ability to make changes easier than eating apple pie and ice cream; that mother made when we were children!

10. Pedals AND knee levers that could be instantly and on demand (drop and/or raise) ANY string to its maximum mechanical limit. Along with ROCK Solid stops in every instant where ONLY the "return" stop is adjustable, like Emmons' LeGrandes.

11. Programmable sound such as an Emmons P/P all the way down to a Fender 1,000; to permit you to play Blue Jade now; and the next song, Buck Owens' "Foolin Around"! Etc.

12. String tuning instantly and continously self adjusting to desired pitch. In a word. A player NEVER has to tune his guitar in any way, once the guitar is programmed according to your desires. With ANY known temperament on demand.

13. Legs infinitely adjustable.

14. Pedal bars that intall like Excels' with no wing nuts or any 'other' hardware to tighten.

15. Changers come standard with a minimum of 6R and 6L capability. And of course, absolutely no need for reversing knee levers (right moving levers).

16. Raise helper springs easily adjustable from the right end plate.

17. Return springs easily adjustable from the right end plate.

18. PU's easily replaced AKA: Sierra and the newer MSA's.

19. Pedal shapes AND knee lever shapes ergonimically designed and emplimented. Sho-Bud started the ball rolling in this endeavor, then it died on the vine. That is sad indeed, IMO.

20. Lighted tuning compartment on demand.

21. Tuner jack ON the guitar with a 3 way switch ON the guitar that would allow:

A. Tuner only.

B. Both.

C. Amp (or vol ped) only.

22. A precion strobe tuner as an intregal part of the guitar; similar to newer cars with GPS built in; that are located in such a manner, that the eyes can see it (even using peripheral vision) for programming step 12 above and/or testing to see if it is what the player desired; instantly.

23. "Pod" devices that are integral to the guitar.

24. A guitar that says to you, the moment you sit down to it,

"Let's me and you MAKE music!"

and last but by NO means, least...............

25. AN INSTRUCTION MANUAL THAT COVERS EVERY NEED A PLAYER WOULD HAVE, WRITTEN IN A SUCCINCTLY CLEAR CUT STEP BY STEP MANNER, SHIPPED WITH EVERY GUITAR; AND INSTANTLY AVAILABLE FROM THE FACTORY ON A WEBSITE. Along with the necessary tools that are most often needed to accomadate the manual; like Excels do.

If the automobile is any indicator, most (if not all) of the above, will be the Pedal Steel Guitar of the future. I am 78. There is not a snowball's chance in hell, I will live to see it,

But............

May others live to see this awesome PSG unfold, that will help catupult "THE world's most beatiful instrument" into the mainstream of musical genre', so that NEVER again will any one shun or have NO clue to...

"What is that?"

Let alone call it a *&^%??^%$,

"Slide Guitar!"

Wishful thinking?

Maybe :cry:

But Jesus said,

"For with God, ALL things are possible! Even that which may seem to be impossible!"

c.
A broken heart + † = a new heart.
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Georg Sørtun wrote:I think you forgot one little but important detail when writing the wish-list, Sir ... what is that "thing" supposed to weigh in at?
OOOPS!

But of course!

not over 30, but more than 20 for stability.

thanks,

c.
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Georg Sortun -

Ditto - 26 times plus your addendum.
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Forwarded your completed list, Sir, but got it back - with comments...

1 to 5; OK, no sweat.

Wow!:)

6; against my advice ... strings should break before they go dead, to avoid the awful sound of dead players playing dead strings. Enough of that already!

:lol:

7; ball bearings no good for small-angle rotation ... use knife-edge on pivot points wherever possible.

Agree to disagree :|

8(a); good point, but make sure the player can't tune their own noise.

agreed ;-)

8(b); "dead flat" = no problem, but don't tell players that, or the actual impedance.

double agreed! :roll:

(Note: you got 2 point 8s, so I split them above. Hope you don't mind.)

:oops: not a chance

9; can't quantify that ... can you be more accurate?

No comment.

10; no problem.

Encouraging :o

11; emulating the Emmons P/P sound and sustain is OK, but then reducing it to... ...no way!!! You've been given hands for tone control, have you not..? Now, use them on the strings, and the EQ, for the desired effect.

We would agree to totally disagree on that one. But then......... ;-)

12; now you're being silly! Why do you think you were provided with ears and hands?

hmmmmm refer to last comment. :x

13; "infinitely" is a bit too much, at least for humans. Get down to earth and give me a "range."

14; OK.

Really, wow :roll:

15 - 17; advice all that hardware being replaced by computer controlled servos. You've ordered, and use, other parts that need power, so why not power up the entire thing and same some weight and complex mechanics in the process?

I was about to say that. Thanks for saving me the trouble HeeHee :D

18; you've already ordered a "dead flat" PU. Why ruin it all now by letting players change as they see fit? What do they know?

No comment.

19; OK, but they tend to weigh slightly more, so you have to cut back somewhere else. At least follow my advice for points 15 - 17.

Hmmmm.

20; nnn-uh-ya, OK. How much light and what color?

no comment. :roll:

21 - 22; go back and check the comment on point 12, and settle for a "Pod", a switch and earphones. Much more efficient, and the most vital parts should already be in place - on/in the player.

Settle for TYPO ON POD; Disagree ALL ELSE. :)

23; yeah-yeah ... see above.

See last answer :D

24; if you're comfortable with the above you can say so yourself. "Talking steels" can be great, but not if they "speak up" every time you sit down behind one.

amen charlie! :?

25; can see your point - but it will cost you extra. You may have to specify language too.

NOT a chance! :o

26(?); weight range OK, but even with a revised list (check all comments) it'll probably end up in the high end.

...so there we are - and we can probably agree on "Pedal Steel Guitar" as name on the contraption.

Disagree :D

Now, was that list for an S10 E9, an S12 E9extended, an S12 Universal ... or something completely different? Still curious to know such minor details without having to probe the human mind, even after all this time...

Sorry, no further comments.

Been there done that. Romans 1:29 (KJV) tells us that debating is as evil as Murder. Nothing in my life of 78 yrs has proven that more true.

I stated my case, I have responded to the best of my ability to your "many a true word was spoken in jest". At this point, best to let the chips fall where they may, sir.

Now if anyone has any sincere questions, I will be happy to oblige. If not, wasteth thou time!

c.