Dicky Overbey

Archived for historical reference

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Bryce Velasco

Greg Simmons

Dicky Overbey

Post by Greg Simmons »

That man can wring more soul out of 4 bars than, well...and the singers backing him were mighty fine too:)

Can't wait for tonight's set with Johnny Bush!
<i>�Head full of this kaleidoscope of brain-freight, Heart full of something simple and slow�</i>
-Mark Heard
Jeff Bradshaw

Post by Jeff Bradshaw »

Yeah, He's good!!!!!!!
Celeste Johnson

Post by Celeste Johnson »

We stayed for the Dicky Overbey show last night. Or should I say this morning. Started at about 1:00 am and ended about 3:15. It was awesome!!! If I hadn't seen anything else, this would have been worth the trip to St. Louis. And the drive back home without sleep. Had to be back to work tonight.
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

If I hadn't seen anything else, this would have been worth the trip to St. Louis
Celeste, you are absolutely correct :D
<i>�Head full of this kaleidoscope of brain-freight, Heart full of something simple and slow�</i>
-Mark Heard
Craig Schwartz

Post by Craig Schwartz »

He sure looked like he was havin fun up there playin , I Guess I would be to if I had 4 pretty ladies to play with, There Aint nothin that sounds or looks better than that . Ye ha
SO MANY LURES, SO LITTLE TIME....
Jim Saunders

Dicky Overbey

Post by Jim Saunders »

Dicky's early steel teacher was Dick Gordon of Tulsa. Randy Beavers also came through the same teaching studio. Dick is still teaching in Tulsa in his late 80's. He is rightly proud of both of them.
Mike Merz

Post by Mike Merz »

Just got in from St Louis. Dicky Overbey blew me away! So much soul. Beautiful touch and tone.He is very approachable very humble and a gentleman.Congratulations Dicky for being inducted into the Hall of Fame.
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Dickey has been a hero for a long time. First time to get hear him live,WOW is all I can say. Had a nice visit before before he played. He said he fell off a horse and thats why he was limping. His leg was hurting him--sure couldn't tell. The concert was awesome to say the least. Goes to show, you don't need a big set of drums, Mona Macall with a snare,a brush and one drumstick. They know how to make music.
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

Dicky is the ultimate heart and soul country music steel guitar player. He came into the Jackson room when I was playing and scared the crap out of me. There ain't too many guys make me nervous but he still does. He is the most humble guy in the world too. Thanks Dicky for your inspiration.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

I call Dickey the modern day Jimmy Day. He pours so much soul into his playing. Perhaps now with his induction into the HOF he'll be recognized as he should. Congradulations Dickey!
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Congratulations to Dickie. He really played a great show with Amber Digby, Darrell McCall, Leona Williams and Justin Trevino. I stayed up to the very last note that was played. :)

Kind Regards, Walter
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

Dave Diehl wrote:I call Dickey the modern day Jimmy Day. He pours so much soul into his playing. Perhaps now with his induction into the HOF he'll be recognized as he should. Congradulations Dickey!
I have to 2nd everything Dave Diehl said about Dicky above...I feel exactly the same way!!
Ron
"Tone is in the hands. Unless your wife will let you buy a new amp. Then it's definitely in that amp."

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head :)

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

+1
David Munson

an easy 10

Post by David Munson »

Every year I come to the convention, I see so much talent that it be comes a real choice when i get home. Practice more or quit..... :eek:

Dickey blew me away. I would pay for a video!!!!! :roll:

David Munson
St. Louis
Butch Pytko

Post by Butch Pytko »

When I'm sitting at my steel & want to play my favorite solo breaks--I always play the break from Johnny Bush's original hit "I'll Be There", which I believe is Dicky Overbey. That break, among others that were played by Dicky, were taught to me by Jimmy Powell. That period of time was about 1979-80 when I lived in Houston. I remember Jimmy telling me that he had played a lot of twin steel guitar gigs with Dicky & during that time is when Jimmy learned some licks from Dicky.

Jimmy was also a great steel player, as well as a real fine person. I remember that he played steel in the orchestra for the theatrical production "The Best Little Whore House In Texas" which was produced in Houston for quite a while back in the early 80's. Sadly, I found out here on the Forum that Jimmy had passed away some time ago. A real big loss!
Buddy Jennison

Dickey Overby

Post by Buddy Jennison »

You think Dickey can pick? You ought to hear him sing!!!!! It'll knock you sideways!!!!!! Chill bumps and all !!! "Little" Buddy.
"Little" Buddy
Buddy Jennison

Dickey Overby

Post by Buddy Jennison »

You think Dickey can pick? You ought to hear him sing!!!!! It'll knock you sideways!!!!!! Chill bumps and all !!! "Little" Buddy.
"Little" Buddy
Buddy Jennison

Dickey Overby

Post by Buddy Jennison »

"Little" Buddy
Buddy Jennison

Dickey Overby

Post by Buddy Jennison »

"Little" Buddy