Oahu lap steels

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Andy Volk

Oahu lap steels

Post by Andy Volk »

Noticed that Elderly has a couple of cool old Oahu lap steels in stock for under $300.

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/185U-525.htm

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/185U-528.htm

Jon King

Post by Jon King »

An Islander & Tonemaster.
Both great in their own right.
By looks, well priced too.
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Does anybody know if that "pitch changer" thing on the Tonemaster has any negative effect on tone and sustain?
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Jon King

Post by Jon King »

Steinar Gregertsen wrote:Does anybody know if that "pitch changer" thing on the Tonemaster has any negative effect on tone and sustain?
Steinar, I've had several lap steels with Stringchangers on them. As you probably know, they allow for different tunings by repositioning/flipping a lever. I can't tell which version is on the Tonemaster by looking at the photos. If in good shape, they can work pretty well if properly adjusted. There's a good thread on their history.
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/001728.html
I don't think there is any discernible effect on sustain & tone. Of course, it's another link in the connection between string & body, but it is a direct connection. I don't currently have one or I'd compare a Tonemaster with & one without to get a more definitive answer. Even doing that, it'd still seem pretty subjective. Anyway, thinking back on it, I'd say I never noticed an effect on tone or sustain.
Steinar Gregertsen

Thanks Jon, I've been considering this model on Elderly since I was so pleasantly surprised and impressed by the tone of the other Tonemaster I bought from them. I can't remember any other vintage steel that's been so "right" for the stuff I do, with the possible exception of the '48 National Dynamic I was stupid enough to sell some years back.
Website - YouTube
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I can't believe it was 10 years ago this month that I posted that thread about Stringtone changers! (link above) I mentioned in that post that they worked great... but after using it for a while longer I changed my opinion. :\ I often had to "fine tune" the strings after flipping the lever to change tunings. I came to the conclusion that it's easier and just as fast to retune using the tuners on the guitar (considering that fine tuning is usually necessary with the Stringtone).
As far as the tone, I didn't notice any difference in tone with Stringtone changer and without it.

I think there were three versions of the Stringtone. Two of them were:

low bass version: A, E, C#m

high bass version: C6, E7, C#m
Jon King

Post by Jon King »

Steinar, Have you considered putting together your own lap steel? Or choosing components anyway? My favorite guitars were put together that way. It's worth checking out what Brent Mason posted to YouTube regarding his modded Telecaster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaP97Z5bS_4
Steinar Gregertsen

I have assembled several Strats and Teles, using components from a variety of places to get them as close to my 'dream guitars' as I possibly could, but the only lap steels I've assembled has been by using one of Lapdancer's "Rednecks" on a Strat or Tele body, like this one:

I've owned a Lap King Rodeo and it was a wonderful steel that I really miss, and Pettingill's instruments are works of art, so those two are on top of my list at the moment.
Website - YouTube
Jon King

Post by Jon King »

Your Tele is gorgeous.
Kekoa Blanchet

Post by Kekoa Blanchet »

Steinar, this is not first-hand experience, but I'll pass it on for what it's worth...

A friend has an Oahu Diana with the "pitch changer." But he tells me that there's enough flex in the neck so that when he changes the pitch on one string, he has to retune all the others a bit. I don't know if this is true of all Tonemaster/Diana steels, but it's something to check out if you're considering one.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

...when he changes the pitch on one string, he has to retune all the others a bit.
Been there! 8) I've had a couple of these Stringtone changers on Oahu lap steels, and I ended up taking them off the guitar(s). It's not worth the hassle of fine tuning the strings every time you flip the lever to go to another tuning. I think these were basically for students. I've never seen any old pictures of pros using one on a lap steel. although there may be some out there. Stringtones were made in the mid-50s to late 50s, at the dawn of the pedal steel guitar era (Fender, Sho-Bud)... you know the rest of the story. ;-)

Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Since the subject of late is pttch changers, here is a couple of picture of a Loni Specter guitar that I adapted.

Steinar Gregertsen

I wasn't really interested in the "pitchy thingy" as such, just wanted to know if it had any negative effect since it was already on the Tonemaster at Elderly. If it sounds anywhere near as good as the one I already have, then $250 is a bargain IMO. Add a GoldTone case and you've got a great sounding lap steel with case for only $360..
Website - YouTube
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Steinar, often vintage guitars of the same model sound different for one reason or another. It sounds like you've got a keeper now, and you're happy with it. It may be worth getting another Tonemaster if you get it at a good price, but I wouldn't necessarily expect it to sound just like the other one. It's really "hit or miss" with vintage. For example, I've had a few Gibson lap steels in past years and I thought they sounded dull and uninteresting, so I sold them... and then I stumbled upon a Gibson Century 6 and it blows away every other lap steel I've owned, including my Stringmaster. Guitars age in different ways, and there's no guarantee that another Tonemaster will sound like the one you have now. 8)
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 9 Nov 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch Crane

Post by Mitch Crane »

I was going to get the one at Elderly's but then found one in fabulous condition for not too much more...

I love the tone of this guitar ! Clean or scream.. really sounds wonderful.

I love the clips you've posted of yours Steinar ! So are you the one that has the "hold" on the Elderly's one ?

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/c ... ONEMASTER/

ImageImage

ImageImage
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Wow! that's super clean, Mitch!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Goldtone makes a very nice replica of that model. You can even get it as an 8 stringer.

Steinar Gregertsen

Mitch Crane wrote:So are you the one that has the "hold" on the Elderly's one ?
No, that wasn't me. Looks like it's sold now..

Good to hear you're happy with the tone of your new Tonemaster! It's not only extremely clean, but it also has the most beautiful wood grain I can remember seeing in a Tonemaster.
Website - YouTube
Richard Stanton

Goldtone 8 String Lap steel

Post by Richard Stanton »

I was considering buying a Goldtone 8 string, do any of you experienced lap steel players out there have any opinions as to the quality and the tone of these guitars or would it be better to spend a little more and buy a vintage model guitar.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I am a fan of the Goldtone instruments.
I have both a 6 string and an 8 string guitar as shown.
Also, I have the new model 8 string Goldtone resonator guitar coming in the next few days.
The resonator is set up by Beard.