Ever Wanna Watch Someone PRACTICE? Really?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Barry Hyman

Post by Barry Hyman »

Just the fact that Richard portrays three finger picks as a radical idea shows how ridiculously conservative and conformist the pedal steel community can be. When violinists can play Bach or bluegrass, when banjo players can play claw hammer or Scruggs style, when guitarists can play like Hendrix or like Paco de Lucia, when pianists can play Debussey or like Jerry Lee Lewis, what on Earth makes anybody think there is only one way to play this amazing instrument?
I give music lessons on several different instruments in Cambridge, NY (between Bennington, VT and Albany, NY). But my true love is pedal steel. I've been obsessed with steel since 1972; don't know anything I'd rather talk about... www.barryhyman.com
Roger Haugejorden

this is good !!

Post by Roger Haugejorden »

Thanks everyone, mysteries seem to be coming unsolved. I once asked a question on the forum (inadvertantly in the wrong thread) about having to think when you are right involved in playing. Have you ever not had to think about what chord or note comes next because it just kinda happens. (Now if that ain't nuts then what is} Like, your playing a song at a gig and while your playing that song your thinking about what you are going to play next ?

Zane when that happens and one is swept away do you think that someone or something is guiding you or is it your heart that is connected with the Creator ?

Thank you, Richard. :D Now everytime I catch that second string, I will just say to myself, If Richard can do it so can I. :D Roger
Tom Lulias

Post by Tom Lulias »

Do yourself a favor and youtube DANNY SNEED.
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Well, Richard Damron thanks for the great post to our discussion. Not bad considering that dim bulb you have hanging between your ears! That's so funny to me how you put that. Love it. My friend you are no dim bulb. I ain't buying it. :D

I've sort forgot now what this thread was about but hey I'm all about new ideas. Perhaps, I will take up the "4" pick idea. However, most guitarist (not necessarily all) use flat picks for 6 strings. I usually just use my steel picks when playing six string but occasionally I need the flat pick too. Honestly, I'm using the flat pick a good bit on my steel these days. It opens up a new world too.

I think bOb uses 4 picks doesn't he? And I thought he told me that he plays a D8. That's a pretty good ratio.

Why am I'm watching Danny Sneed? I thought maybe he was using 3 finger picks but couldn't tell. Great playing and tone by that fellow. Very nice.

ZK
Zane King
Email: zaneking@me.com
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Zane & Richard...I've been experimenting with these thumbpicks lately...

The verdict is still out, but I've found I am able to play guitar and steel at the same time a little better with these vs my usual thumbpick. Plus it's cool to experiment with upstrokes and strumming rhythm on the steel now & then!

Oh yeah, they're called "Bumble Bee" picks by Fred Kelly

(BTW Richard, I too am a 3+T player)
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Zane -

I may have inadvertently hijacked this thread with my post above but the subject WAS mentioned and I couldn't resist putting in my humble but fervent opinion.

Thanks for the compliment but old age seems to be catching up with me. This old head ain't what it used to be. Better that I lay out a bunch of homespun opinions before I suffer from terminal brain fade.

I still use a single flat pick for jazz guitar. Never even tried finger picks for that genre. Perhaps I should.

Looked at Danny Sneed. He's a fine picker. Looked at another of his videos and was able to determine that he's using three picks. I may be reading something into Tom Lulius' post but I can't help but think that Danny could add a bit of something to his playing with a fourth pick. I MUST repeat myself - old folks do that frequently - by saying that personal preference plays so much of a role in what we play, how we play it, and the equipment that we use. Danny may well be one of the millions that is quite satisfied with the traditional three picks and given the music that he chooses to play. The fourth pick is for those of use who have "extended ears" and are not satisfied with the simpler voicings to be found in playing with "only" three. Once again, personal preference dictates that which we choose to use. I would never have the audacity to even suggest that four picks should become the standard. Whatever flips your switch?

Rich Schmidt -

That is an interesting design. Might spend a dollar and try one. I hope that I'm not really belaboring this subject but I'd like to lay another bit of heresy on y'all. Thoroughly enjoyed a couple of videos by Dan Jones on Jim Cohen's site. Sent him an email and we shot a couple back and forth in conversation. Look out! - here it comes! Dan uses PLASTIC PICKS!!! Yup! I was enamored with his tone - the lack of that typical "click" when picking a note. They are made by Jim Dunlop. Got mine from JustStrings.com. $9.00 for a package of 12. Easily shaped. Light as a feather. Picking effort seems to be reduced considerably. Because of the material, it almost feels as if you don't have anything on your fingers and they don't slip! Will lay a simple procedure for shaping them on ya should you decide to try them. Will never - EVER - go back to metal picks again!

Howzat for stirrin' the pot?!!!!!!!!

Til the next installment.

Richard
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Zane, the video above with distorted single notes, what software program are you using?

Thanks
larry Behm
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Larry,

Not sure what you are asking. I use Protools for recording. Just a little Boss Blues pedal for the distortion.

ZK
Zane King
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Zane -

At your request, I stirred the pot again - but you haven't tasted the stew.

Respectfully,

Richard
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Richard,

Pot is sufficiently stirred for the current temperature. If you turn up the heat you will have to stir again! As for this 3 pick vs. 4 pick thought. I am interested in this and I'm going to put my "thinking" cap down over my "extended" ears and see what it looks like. :D :D Now that's funny, brother. Seriously, I'm going to work on it.

As for this thumb pick photo by Rick, I have seen these before but never even thought about using them. Even now I use my thumb pick in a manner similar to flat picks. Perhaps this would be an improvement on my technique on at least help with it. Most people only use thumb picks in a forward motion, however, I have for years also used mine in a reverse motion too. I don't tell many folks that but it's another little crazy thing of mine. bOb considers me from another planet or at least from the other side. I want to keep that reputation going so I'm putting all my squirrelly ideas out here.

ZK
Zane King
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Zane -

With that endorsement, I'm gonna spend a dollar and get Rick's pick.

Alternate picking with a thumb pick? Why not!!!!!!

Richard
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

The track you were using to play against, did you make it yourself from a software program like Band In A Box?

Larry
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

The drums I did in Garage Band and then I just played everything else.
Zane King
Barry Hyman

Post by Barry Hyman »

Yes, "doublepicking" with your thumbpick -- that's what I was thinking when I saw you (Zane) play so fast. I do that with flatpick on guitar, and I used to do it a little with thumbpick on both guitar and steel, but doublepicking (up and down on guitar; forward and reverse on psg) sure is clumsy with just a thumbnail. Maybe I should do what Bobbe Seymour used to do and play with a thumbpick but no fingerpicks? I sure would like to loosen up my stiff overly careful no picks old self, and get a little faster and more Zaniacal! (Zane-maniacal.)
I give music lessons on several different instruments in Cambridge, NY (between Bennington, VT and Albany, NY). But my true love is pedal steel. I've been obsessed with steel since 1972; don't know anything I'd rather talk about... www.barryhyman.com
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Barry - Zaniacal is a new one. I've been called a lot. I like it!!

To my those on this thread who like this innovation topic....be sure to check out my new post "Zane King & The Fretted Pedal Guitar". It's here in the Steel Players section.

Richard, slipped a pick on the ring finger. I might just be married to the idea now! As for country type stuff it didn't seem to have an immediate advantage or even disadvantage for that matter. But for swing and jazzy type movements it really created something new right out of the gate. Mmmm.....I'll stay at it.
Zane King
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Hot damn!

I may have helped to create another monster!