Dekley 12 string universal. Serial 112-0047

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Mark Cohen

Dekley 12 string universal. Serial 112-0047

Post by Mark Cohen »

After playing my Dekley for more than 18 years, I have decided that it is time to branch out a bit and to try a different sound.

The instrument is in first rate shape cosmetically and mechanically and has seen no abuse, dropping, etc... during its tenure with me. Jim Smith, the builder, has noted that it is in excellent shape. He estimates the value at about $1400, which works for me. It will ship with the original manual. And yes, of course, there will be a nice forum donation when sold.

This guitar is configured 4k + 7p. I have parts for a 5th knee. When I purchased it, the case was weak, so I built a nice lightweight wheeled SKB case for it. Weight in case is 59.2 pounds.

You can find more pictures on the Dekley forum: Dekley 112-0047 or by request from me, if there are special views that you want to see.

Last edited by Mark Cohen on 14 Oct 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Cohen
Mark Cohen

Inquiries

Post by Mark Cohen »

Hi folks:

Folks have been asking about the guitar in private emails. This is OK, but people ask the same questions. Unless your question about my Dekley is personal, please consider posting it here. It knows that it is for sale, and its feelings won't be hurt.

Here are some answers to the invisible questions:
  • • I have posted pictures on the Dekley forum, but here are some more (below) I can take photos of its private parts and post them uncensored if there are views that would be revealing.

My personal collection has a few more with Albert Lee that I treasure, but these don't do much to explain the instrument (except that he doesn't object to the sound, which is pretty good since Emmons has been his mostly steel player. No, I don't play like Buddy, but just like you, I wish that I did).
  • • This is a very solid, very playable guitar (hence eighteen years). It is completely dependable. Dekleys are known for this. I really wasn't motivated to change guitars for a very long time. Now it is more like a midlife crisis - I think I just want a flashier/younger/prettier model.
  • • The cross-rods are in Delrin sleeves.
  • • People have been interested in D# locks. For a reasonable extra charge, yes this guitar could have one. I have done many mods to my guitars in the past that have stood the test of time, some for 38 years (gulp). I have never actually seen a D# lock but I can think of a few ways to make one. Do you see this as a locking lever on the side, or something that you would activate with a floor or knee pedal? Would you change this setting during a tune or in between? Is locking the E strings all that you need? Maybe some sort of button lock: When you push the RKL you might slide in a button/pin that would lock the changer in place. To release, you would probably just hit the RKL again and pull the pin out. That would seem better than having some sort of manual lever that has to move the changer. FWIW I find that the touch on the D# lever is light enough that leaving my leg in that position for a B6th tuning isn't a problem.
  • • Dekley's are not the lightest guitars but this one weighs in at a very reasonable 59 pounds in its wheeled case.
It really is a fine instrument.

10/1/2010
Last edited by Mark Cohen on 5 Oct 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Cohen
Cliff Kane

Post by Cliff Kane »

Mark,
how many raises and lowers on the changer? Is this what is known as the Slimline model?

Thanks,
Cliff
Mark Cohen

Raise and lower

Post by Mark Cohen »

Hi Cliff:

This is a triple raise and lower system.

This seems to be a Slimline, based on the fact that it is pre-drilled for eleven pedals (and ten knees). You can see this from the picture just attached. The Slimlines also have a three piece endplate, as mine does.

It is nice, of course, that the instrument is pre-configured for adding pedals and knees. Working with it is very easy. I remember having to drill lots of holes in my Sho-Bud to bring it up to par.

The Dekley forum has a wealth of info for this stuff.

Last edited by Mark Cohen on 5 Oct 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Cohen
Cliff Kane

Post by Cliff Kane »

Thanks, Mark. 3+/3- is pretty advanced. One last question: what are the two holes on the changer end for? Was there tone and volume pots there?
Thanks,
Cliff
Mark Cohen

Post by Mark Cohen »

It was this way when I got it. I have seen photos of Dekleys with controls there (do you want them?*)

*Controls, not photos. It is a trivial retrofit.
Mark Cohen
Mark Cohen

Still available

Post by Mark Cohen »

Bump please. Not yet sold.
Mark Cohen
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

The extra holes are for a tone control and a toggle switch to cut the tone control in and out of the signal path.

This should have sold by now. This model is an absolutely great guitar. Heavy, yes, but almost zero detuning and great pedal and knee action. Dekleys will last a lifetime and are extremely reliable.

If money wasn't so tight, I would have bought it immediately. Even the wife wanted it...and that's saying something.
Best regards,
Mike
Mark Cohen

thanks for the shout out

Post by Mark Cohen »

When is your wife's birthday, Mike?
Mark Cohen
Thiel Hatt

Post by Thiel Hatt »

You mention that working on the Dekley is quite easy and from the photos it appears to be so. I have an interest in an S12 and this one looks well made and engineered, but how available are parts for it or would I have to manufacture them myself. I am referring to knee lever kits and possibly another floor pedal. I would plan to load it up to 8 + 8 or 9 and it would require changing the copedant to fit my personal set-up.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Why is it that everytime someone puts a Dekley up for sale I suddenly want a Dekley? Do you Dekley owners put some kind of subliminal suggestions in your ads? I'm not accusin', I'm just sayin'...
In any event, best of luck on the sale.
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Mark Cohen

Working on a Dekley and Parts

Post by Mark Cohen »

Hi Thiel:

I am afraid that I don't know much about parts availability. My best suggestion would be to go to the Dekley Forum and chat up the guys there. There is drilled space for 11 pedals, but I haven't looked at how many knees will fit in (I am away on business, otherwise I would look) - I think that it is drilled for ten knees, but that may be limited for any levers that activate to the right, as those need a reversing mechanism. I can see 8 on the floor by the way, but 8 knees is pretty extreme! Changing the copedant is very straightforward: Just move the rods and cranks about.

The changer is very standard and the rods attach to it using just the friction hex sockets that are pretty common. The bell cranks are more specialized. I have a few unused parts, but certainly not enough to add 4 knees and a pedal.
Mark Cohen
Mark Cohen

Sinister messages

Post by Mark Cohen »

Hey Duncan:

We Dekley owners have a secret pheromone that we send through your computer (there was an player who worked at the CIA - very hush, hush). Sorry, I can only give you the formula if you buy one.
Mark Cohen
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Duncan, my friend, you just have a very finely honed ability to recognize the best when you see it. :)

I'd still own 2 of them if I wasn't such a bonehead. I sold one!! What a tragic mistake that was. THAT will NEVER happen again.

These are fine instruments that are sturdy, built to last, are a pleasure to play, and have excellent tonal qualities.

To me, the only drawback is that they are a little heavy. But a split case setup takes care of that very nicely.
Best regards,
Mike
Mark Cohen

Weight

Post by Mark Cohen »

Thanks for all of these nice thoughts.
Last edited by Mark Cohen on 17 Oct 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Cohen
Thiel Hatt

Post by Thiel Hatt »

It appears, from the replys that no one has stepped foreward to request a transfer of ownership of that Dekley so here comes one. I will make arrangements to submit $ 1200.00 to become the new owner of it if that is acceptable to you. If so, also specify how you wish to handle the complete transaction. By the way I will take any parts you have for adding knee levers to the instrument, since that will be my plan.
Silvio Bello

Dekley

Post by Silvio Bello »

Hi Mark,

Surprised you've still got it!

C'mon boys,step to the plate...this baby would be mine...if I didn't already have one!

Great guitar...Great guy to deal with!

Hey Rick in San Diego...couldn't you use a single neck?

Cheers!
Mark Cohen

Sale pending

Post by Mark Cohen »

Sale pending
Mark Cohen
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

One of the ground floor owners of the Dekley co. Mr. Jim Gurley lives here in Jackson, Tn. We were just discussing the steels and why things didn't work out for the co. I have always liked the sound of these guitars and very well built. This is a great buy.
Mark Cohen

Thanks for the endorsement

Post by Mark Cohen »

Thank you for the shout out.
Mark Cohen
Hugh Roche

Post by Hugh Roche »

great guitar..............TTT
Chuck Morel

Post by Chuck Morel »

Is she sold? I'm still looking...
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i bet you'll regret selling it later on..!
Thiel Hatt

Post by Thiel Hatt »

This Dekley is now at a new home and I'm delighted to call it mine. It's my first encounter with Dekley and I admit that I am impressed with it's quality, both tone and construction. It's undergoing a re-configuration to suite my copedent. I plan to get many miles and enjoyment out of this nice instrument.Thanks to Mark for a smooth transition.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

hey duncan...you crack me up. you're alot like me in that you want every cool steel on here for sale.

i even start thinking i really want a s12 when i may not even be able to figure one out!