Amps of the 30,s,40,s

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Larry Jones

Amps of the 30,s,40,s

Post by Larry Jones »

what kind of amps were the old hawaiian guitarist using in the 30,s and 40,s? they all have such a clean warm sound. almost like a horn.
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Mostly Gibson, Epiphone and Rickenbacher Tube amps with 10" or 12" speakers which gave the great sound.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

The Epiphone-made Electar amps were great and used by many. I've owned quite a few of them myself:

Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

yes, tube amps, one small speaker (8", 10", 12"), low power (15, 20, 30 watts).

The pickups in vintage steels also contribute to the "warm" tone. Single coil PU, not a lot of windings, resistance of about 6K to 8K ohms, and in some cases a large Magnet i.e. Rickenbacher and other 1930s steel guitars. The strings-through PUs, Valco, Rickenbacher, were especially warm (some would call it slightly distorted).
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

Removed.
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 24 Feb 2011 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Didn't Sears contract with differen't Amp manufacturers to make their "Silvertone" Amps ?

Did Oahu or Dickerson ever make a "Professional" size Amp ? I think they were pretty much "Stuent" models.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Didn't Sears contract with differen't Amp manufacturers to make their "Silvertone" Amps ?
Yes, most Silvertones were made by Valco Co. for Sears. Valco made Airline for Montgomery Ward, and several other brands for other companies, including Oahu. They made mostly student grade guitars, lap steels, and amps. But the Valco stuff does have "that vintage sound" compared to today's solid state amps, and humbucking pickups, etc.

Another aspect of vintage tone is the recording gear used in 1930s & 40s studios. In particular the mic's, tube consoles, and the "room sound".
Ray Montee

About those old amps........tho'ts from an olde PLAYER.

Post by Ray Montee »

I searched for decades.....to get that RICH, dynamic sound that JERRY BYRD produced on his early 1950 Mercury Records and detectable in nearly each and everyone of his recordings from that era. Aside from the Mercury Records, some of the early day KING records with Clyde Moody, Grandpa Jones, Cowboy Copas, etc., had unbeatable tonal qualities.

Without realizing it until many years later, I had nearly achieved THAT SOUND back when I was just 17-18 and did so with my triple-8 Fender and 4 x 10's bassman. I zipped right past it however, without ever noticing it.

Anyway, the search went on.

I got great sounds, (IMHO), out of my Bigsby with the 4/10's Fender Bassman and later with my '72 Emmons.

However, once I found a SOUND that more closely matched JERRY BYRD's 'sound'.......I was playing
my Rickenbacher.....Bakelite, thro my PEAVY LA 400, with 12 inch speaker. I discovered by turning up the SATURATION KNOB to about 2.5-3.0.......I got that same sort of 'popping sound' when the strings were plucked. GREAT SOUND!

Later, I mated the Ric with a Harmony, 8 inch ROLA Speaker and it was even better sounding. I then had the good fortune to latch onto a great little table top, radio size, OAHU amp with an 8 inch ROLA SPEAKER. GREAT SOUNDING.

In about 2005, recorded three Hawaiian CD's thro' an Epiphone Electar with about a 10 inch speaker and was really, really satisfied with that great sound.

My VOLU-TONE, IMHO, has delivered for me, the best authentic SOUND of OLDE, thus far.

I think the biggest mistake we steel players make is
wanting the biggest, best, heaviest and most expensive stuff we can lug home from the store.

The point was made above. THOSE OLDE Guitars, and the olde 'little' amps, were really designed for each other and they really sound the best when matched up. I've found ROLA SPEAKERS with about an 8 inch speaker is my favorite.
Benjamin Franz

Post by Benjamin Franz »

Wow Chas, what model is the ten string Rickenbacher?
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Benjamin, my guess is, it's around a 1938. The pickup needs to be rewound, and it still is a nice sounding guitar. To be honest, the 6-string sounds better.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Ray,
Don't forget that recording technology was quite different in those days also.
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

John B.

Back in those days minor mistakes could not be fixed, you were stuck with them unless the whole Band did another take.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Billy,
Of course! But a lot of the mics were tube mics, the preamps were tubes, the consoles were tubes. Tube tape machines too. All contributing their warmth to the mix. The first time I ever recorded, it was in a single channel studio.
Michael Lee Allen

Removed.
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 24 Feb 2011 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

Removed.
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 24 Feb 2011 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

Removed.
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 24 Feb 2011 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

Removed.
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 24 Feb 2011 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

Removed.
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 24 Feb 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Lee Allen

Removed.
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 24 Feb 2011 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

My favorite amp is still my old National, that I bought new in 1950. In fact I've built five clones of it in recent years. The original has a field coil speaker, and the clones have Weber speakers. I gave three of the clone away to friends and relatives.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Michael Lee!
Wonderful stuff!
My favorite lapsteel amp is my later '40's BR-1. Two 6L6 power tubes. Wish I could find the appropriate replacement handle!
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

John, don't know what type handle you need, but there is a place that has "stuff" for restoring old luggage, that may have something like that. It's Brettuns Village Trunk Shop.
www.brettunsvillage.com
Might be worth looking.....

I bought a handle there for a little Magnatone amp that I restored.
Andrew Roblin

Post by Andrew Roblin »

Thanks, Michael Lee, for another of your great history lessons and archival collections.

Thanks, Bill, for the luggage info. I needed an unusual handle for an instrument case and found something that looks like it will work.

Much obliged.

Andrew Roblin
International Sho-Bud Brotherhood
Member #79
Nils Fliegner

Post by Nils Fliegner »

OK, here's my take on the sounds of olde tymes.

First, let's not forget we will never know what those amps and steels really sounded like - only what the engineers and A&R-man made them sound like ;-)

I guess the safest way to go would be a 10 to 15 watt all-tube amp with a 10 or 12" speaker.
Allthough smaller speakers might sound lovely, the pros seldom bothered with those, IMHO.

Soundwise I'm hearing a lot of mild overdrive on those records: Not sure if it was intentional (= sounding reedy/trumpet like) or the limitations of technology of that age.
The recording mikes where most likely ribbons: Fat, mid-heavy sound with attenuated, silky highs. A huge factor in the equation!
Tone was rather dry. They did not patch in reverbs before 1947 and too much natural reverb tended to sound washed out on the jukeboxes.

BTW, I'm talking late forties, early fifties. (I sincerely apologise for coming across like the epitome of a wise guy - that's because I am :lol: )