Recommended Steel King set up for E9th and C6th

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeshua Lehman

Recommended Steel King set up for E9th and C6th

Post by Jeshua Lehman »

I bought a Steel King amp yesterday and it is in the mail to me. The amp was used and doesn't have a user manual. I am looking for the setup that ya'll use so when I get it I can start playing around with variation that other like. I bet this is already been discussed so if you find a link to it that would be helpful, but I looked and was unsuccessful.
pre-RP Mullen D-12, Fender Steel King
Michael Robertson

Steel king EQ.

Post by Michael Robertson »

A lot depends on your guitar and how you want it to sound of course.
Keep in mind for a clean setting the Master Volume level should be open more than the Gain control.
The EQ circuit is post/after the Gain setting and at times it can be a balancing act between EQ response and volume at which you want to perform.
For starters have the tone controls down the middle dead flat.
With the Mid Control I dump mine to the left at roughly the ten o’clock position.
Then with the Frequency I sweep to the right and somewhere around 800 you find that the mid frequency bump will fall off.
That alone should get you real close.
During a gig I have found that the EQ Tilt control provides a good and quick fix tool for the particular tonal response of the venue.
Good luck and have fun with your Steel King. I love mine……….. Until I have to lift it.
Michael
Bob Lawrence

Post by Bob Lawrence »

You can download a copy of the manual with this Link

http://support.fender.com/manuals/manua ... l_King.pdf
Mike Kowalik

Steel King settings....

Post by Mike Kowalik »

Here's mine....EQ Tilt 12 o'clock, Treble 11 o'clock, Mid Level 10 o'clock, Mid Freq 2 o'clock, Bass between 3 and 5 o'clock. Normal and Limiter buttons out.

This is with a push pull that has stock single coil pick-ups.
I never cared for the sound of my Steel King with the Fender speaker...so I replaced it with a BW 1502-4 and a 1501-4...what a difference.

Also had Rick Johnson build seperate cabinets for the head and speaker to make transport easier.
Jeshua Lehman

Post by Jeshua Lehman »

I just received my steel king and can't wait to start playing, but I have to wait until my lazy roommate wakes up. Thanks for all your suggestions.
pre-RP Mullen D-12, Fender Steel King
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

Turn the gain on your Steel King to 10 and wake him up!!!!!!!!!
Michael Robertson

Post by Michael Robertson »

Mike Kowalik wrote:Turn the gain on your Steel King to 10 and wake him up!!!!!!!!!
10 is good. :D :lol: :D :lol: