Sho-Bud Super-pro D-10

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark Cohen

Sho-Bud Super-pro D-10

Post by Mark Cohen »

I found this link from a private dealer in LA and thought I would share. It seems a fair price for a D-10:
As it happens I work nearby this store, though I've never been there. I can check it out for a fellow steel player.
Mark Cohen
Mike Kowalik

Super Pro..

Post by Mike Kowalik »

Only a rear view pic.....hope the front isn't in bad shape.The ad also calls it the most desired Sho-Bud model.....I'm not so sure about that.
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Just click on the Additional Images tab and see the usual views that steelers want.
Best regards,
Mike
Brion Toland

Post by Brion Toland »

Hi Mark,

Can you check this guitar out if you are down there and see if it looks decent? I may be interested. Also, if you can get a phone # and hours.

Thanks,

Brion
Walker Pac A Seat, Lexicon, EMCI
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

This guitar has aluminum necks, all of the other Super Pro's I've seen had wood necks as mine has. Was this a special order, or did they offer them either way?
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Darvin my one had ali necks ... I think the wood necks might have been the special order ones !!
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Mark Cohen

Sho-Bud Super-pro D-10

Post by Mark Cohen »

I plan on taking a look at this instrument for Brion Toland. If I can take pictures, etc..., I will post what I find. I doubt that the store will know if this was a special order, but I bet that there is plenty of support on the forum to find out.
Mark Cohen
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Not a special order. Super Pro's were made with either wood or metal necks, with wood necks being in the majority.
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

If you have someone go down and eyeball it for you, try to get them to see if it has the pot-metal or the aluminum changer fingers. The way to tell: aluminum fingers have a pin for the ball end of the string to attach to, pot-metal has a slot.
Aluminum fingers are rare on SuperPro's but definitely more desirable. The reasons being that the pot-metal ones tend to snap off underneath, and if they have any string grooves up on top its pretty much impossible to get them out. However, the price looks right and Jeff Surratt @ ShowPro could change out the fingers to aluminum for you if needed. Good luck.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

The fingers are pretty shiny, I'll bet they're pot metal.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Mike, I'm wondering if you really meant to say that the pot metal changer fingers tend to snap off.

It's well known that knee lever brackets tend to snap off (happened to me once--since then my Super Pro has all replacement aluminum brackets), and issues with grooves in changer fingers are sometimes mentioned, but I don't think I've heard of fingers snapping off before.