Robert Randolph at Red Rocks

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Rickard

Robert Randolph at Red Rocks

Post by John Rickard »

Here is a little clip of Robert jammin' with Zac Brown at Red Rocks. Check out the crowd reaction. There you have it! :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQpTUWmQWq0
SLIDE IT ON OVER!
www.johnrickard.net
Anne Giroux

Post by Anne Giroux »

Good stuff and thanks for posting. Randolph sure gets around.I even saw him on HGTV designing a bedroom.
Anne
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Awesome!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

He's incredible no doubt, and the people eat it up.

Not to hijack the thread but it's interesting to hear a PSG used to get that overdriven guitar sound.
I'll bet the regular guit players would die for that kinda sustain at times.
On the other hand, when I'm using overdrive, I've found that the PSG sustain comes at the cost of some dynamics that a conventional guitar has.
Robert is getting more dynamic some how. It might be his lighter wound pickup.
Maybe someone should make a PSG intentionally without so much sustain in hopes of making a bigger attack amplitude verses the rest of the envelope. This would be more guitar like.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Use a lighter bar - 3 to 4 oz. does it. You run into the same problem as guitarists though - chords vs. single lines. If you set your solo level at "howl", the chords are mush. Going straight to a tube amp alleviates this somewhat, as tubes are "naturally" compressing. Most big R&R guitarists have gone to a multi-amp setup, or at the very least have two channels set with different drive, compression & effect characteristics. There's a lot of delicate level-balancing involved.

It seems to me like Randolph has taken the B.B. King approach to chords, i.e., hire somebody else to play 'em. :)
Twayn Williams

Post by Twayn Williams »

You can see him stamping those pedals in that clip.
Primitive Utility Steel
Gary Newcomb

Post by Gary Newcomb »

Damn, incredible!!
So much soul. Great entertainment too.
Does anyone know what his amp setup is? The last time I saw him it looked like there was a Fender next to some NV400 sized cabinet with no name on stage. He can send shivers when wants too.
Sierra Session U12, Milkman 1/2, Goodrich Omni, Divine Noise Cables, BJS, Solid cosmic gold, baby 👶🏻
Kenny Martin

Post by Kenny Martin »

been doin this for years on guitar with a slide! for me, just a trashy way of playin steel! would be the same if ya took a fiddle and distorted the sound! just wouldn't be right! :eek:
John Rickard

Post by John Rickard »

Now That's Funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
SLIDE IT ON OVER!
www.johnrickard.net
Rick Winfield

Rr

Post by Rick Winfield »

What he does, he does, well. Give credit where it is due.
It comes to my ears as a Jimi Hendrix type of solo.
Being a 6 string slide rock/blues player,I started PSG 4+ years ago, to get away from that sound, in search of something different, so I can understand both Kenny and John's posts.
Rick
Jerry Tillman

A little less distortion?

Post by Jerry Tillman »

I,m glad to see Robert getting the pedal steel so much air time and I think he is a very good showman.I don,t like what he plays or his tone.If he has something more to say musically I think he needs to get rid of some of that distortion and overdrive.I think there are a lot of pedal steel,guitar,lap,dobro players who can play what he is playing without much trouble.I have not bought any cd,s of Roberts and have not heard anything to make me want to.I also would not seek out any steel guitar or amp or sound effects that he uses.I am however still hurting a little from listening to Mr. Lloyd Green playing live with that Peter Cooper guy on Utube and I,m still trying to find out what amp he was using.I did find one thing out watching the video,he has an extra knee.Thanks lakeshrk
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Nice clip...not many steel players will ever experience that kind of crowd response, especially at one of the coolest venues in the country..you go, Robert....
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
David Evans

Robert Randolph

Post by David Evans »

So sad that this is what the steel guitar has come to! So what if there is good crowd response. I know I'm being close minded but how much worse can so called country music get. This crap gets out to the masses and this is what they are going think a pedal steel guitar is. Distorted guitars have already taken over country now it's the steel guitar's turn I guess. Enough is enough, long live "Hillbilliesville", google it and check it out.
Ben Jones

Re: Robert Randolph

Post by Ben Jones »

David Evans wrote:So sad that this is what the steel guitar has come to! So what if there is good crowd response. I know I'm being close minded but how much worse can so called country music get. This crap gets out to the masses and this is what they are going think a pedal steel guitar is. Distorted guitars have already taken over country now it's the steel guitar's turn I guess. Enough is enough, long live "Hillbilliesville", google it and check it out.
I dont think anyone called this country music did they? :?
Thats kinda like being mad that the trumpet player in Earth Wind and Fire is ruining jazz.
David Evans

Robert Randolph

Post by David Evans »

Zac Brown is considered country ,I mean they are played on country radio and on CMT and GAC on tv.Most people don't even know what a pedal steel guitar is and its just sad that this style of playing is going to be or already is more popular than way Emmons or Green played.
Ben Jones

Re: Robert Randolph

Post by Ben Jones »

David Evans wrote:Zac Brown is considered country ,I mean they are played on country radio and on CMT and GAC on tv.Most people don't even know what a pedal steel guitar is and its just sad that this style of playing is going to be or already is more popular than way Emmons or Green played.
oh, I see. i had no idea who Zac Brown is as I dont listen to "country" radio.

I understand what you are saying I think, and why you are concerned. My beleif is that there will always be people wanting to hear and play traditional country steel both young and old. RR is acheiving wide spread popularity, but not amongst country players or lovers of country music so much. I guess what i am tryng to say is they are two different spheres of influence and I dont feel that his playing in other genres detracts from trad country in any way. I dont know enough Zac Brown to know if he qualifies as trad country. My guess is that since he gets play on CMT he does not. But its not like RR is siiting in behind Ray Price and shredding overdriven steel. To me he's a HIGHLY skilled gospel/blues/jam musician and ive only ever heard him playing in those contexts. from the clip its hard to tell what this Zac dude is about.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

EWWW..i watched a couple of zacs other vids and your right, its that modern country sound. Maybe this song was his token rocker? :lol:

i guess im far more offended by the existence of modern country (or bad music in general) than i am about the steel guitars participation in it (which up till now has been extremely rare)
Clete Ritta

Re: Rr

Post by Clete Ritta »

Rick Winfield wrote:...It comes to my ears as a Jimi Hendrix type of solo
RR has played like this for years now, and its most likely because he was inspired by Hendrix (who was inspired by Muddy Waters). That, and his gospel roots, are where his style originated. If his dream was to be the Hendrix of steel guitar, he's come a long way! Im sure Jimi had his share of what is this crap!? too.
Even Dylan caught hell at the Folk festival for playing :eek: an electric Telecaster!
Overdriven steel with a wah pedal!? That aint right! :lol:

Clete
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

It's an interesting take on it to view RR as taking country steel in a new (welcome or not) direction, or being responsible for "getting out to the masses and this is what they are going think a pedal steel guitar is" when in reality he's one of the latest in a long line of evolving gospel stylists, who have been around and creating a style and legacy for longer than country steel has been around.
Not so much co-opting pedal steel away from it's roots, as developing along a parallel evolutionary track.
Brad Malone

Why a steel

Post by Brad Malone »

You really do not need a steel to make those sounds..IMHO
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

Gary Newcomb

Post by Gary Newcomb »

"Not so much co-opting pedal steel away from it's roots, as developing along a parallel evolutionary track"
Well said Mark . Thanks
I say live and let live. There wouldn't be anything to keep talking about if he weren't wildly successful and closer than any other pedal steel player to being a mainstream household name.

Still curious about what amp(s) he uses. Anyone?
Sierra Session U12, Milkman 1/2, Goodrich Omni, Divine Noise Cables, BJS, Solid cosmic gold, baby 👶🏻
John Neff

Post by John Neff »

Funny - the ones who have a problem with Randolph's...um...tone, would probably really dig Zac Brown's lame songs of regional pride!
Rick Winfield

future

Post by Rick Winfield »

If this is the future of PSG, I'm going back to my Les Paul,Strat and Marshall. That, comes "easy" to me, and I can get paid for it. (notice the crowd roar)
I think Mr. Randloph is like a Sacred Steel player on steroids !
Great for him, but my steel ideas are different.
No offense intended, just my opnion.
Rick
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

I thought it was a really fine performance for any instrument - technique any of us would be proud to display and a great fluid solo. I remember when I was starting out I was in a band that lacked a good lead player and I was asked to take the "I Love a Rainy Night" solo on steel. A mighty tall order for a novice masher of pedals. I wish I could have played it like this guy would have!