Don Curtis

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

This is terrible news, just can't believe it. Our prayers go out to Don's family. Larry and Jean
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Michael Scott

Post by Michael Scott »

Tonight is Don’s regular monthly show on SteelRadio. Originally, I was going to just play a canned show from last year as he was out of town. I’ll still air that show, but I plan to start off with a tribute. I’ll be featuring some of his music and taking phone calls.

If you wish to call and give your memorable Don Curtis story, please call 314-256-9029. Or you can send an e-mail to steelradio@charter.net

Michael Scott
SteelRadio.com
Don Lanier

Don Curtis

Post by Don Lanier »

I learned from a freind on Facebook of Dons passing and called Micheal to be sure it was not some crude joke, but it was truth, Don was a big guy in heart and smile, he always had a good thing to say, I saw him at the ISGC and it was always a hearty hello, you'll be missed my freind, May God be with your Family and you as you start a new Journey in Gods Hands.

RIP Don Curtis
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

I captured his wonderful smile as we kidded each other at Scotty's earlier this month.

May he rest in peace . . .

Donna Dodd
Georgia Steel Guitar Association (GaSGA) Board Member & Website Administrator
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Al Brisco

Post by Al Brisco »

What a shock when I received the news from Scotty. Don always had a big smile & friendly hello every time I saw him at the various steel guitar shows.

He surely will be missed. Our thoughts are with him & his family.
Al Brisco
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

I'm sorry to hear about Don passing away. I always enjoyed talking shop with him. He was an inovative Steel Player who was always "pushing the envelope", this is a big loss to the Steel Guitar Community. My condolances go out to his family. May he Rest In Peace.
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Mark Emerick, guitar player for Commander Cody called me tonight to tell me of Don's passing today. Mark was very upset and this is devastating news. Don and I were also friends and we both have done many gigs with Cody over the last 8 or 9 years. His passing is such a surprise and sad thing, he was just such a good guy. So sad....

I pray for the Lord to keep Don now in his loving embrace and that his soul may be in heaven. You'll be missed a bunch Don !!

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
Ray Harrison

Post by Ray Harrison »

Such a terrible blow to the Curtis and Scott family.
My sincere condolences are sent to both families and pray that the good memories will soften the pain in losing Don.
Take Care,
Ray Harrison
Bass/sing/Love PSG
77 Stingray/Kiesel 5 string bass
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Ron Mercille

Post by Ron Mercille »

Oh how terrible. Such a young man. I've known Don for 20 plus years. Always had time to talk to me when I came in the store. You will be missed my friend. God bless his family. Ron & Judy mercille
Manny Shuffles

Post by Manny Shuffles »

I am so sad about this its unbelieveable. I have worked with Don E. many times over the years. From every concieveable jam session north to south, many bars, many picnics, many a "hey can ya help me out?" Don I shall miss you my friend. But I will remember all the times we played together. You really sounded.

Love Ya,

Drumranger
Herby Wallace

Don Curtis

Post by Herby Wallace »

I am also shocked to hear this as I have known Don for many years too. He has played drums with me on many shows and always "Pulled Me Through" as I would say joking, but he really did as he was an excellent drummer. He is playing drums on one of my DVDs along with Ben Brogdon, Roy Rosetta and Frank Rogers. Don was of course, a great steel player too. He taught me a tune years ago he tabbed out which was really neat. It was the theme song from "I Love Lucy". Our prayers go out to his family as this is still hard to accept, especially at his young age.

Herby Wallace
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I am in a state of shock. I don't know what to say. RIP Don, and may GOD bless, comfort, and keep the family always. Jody.
Auset Sarno

Post by Auset Sarno »

We feel so very grateful to have known Don over the years now. From mastering his music up close and personal to hanging out at Commander Cody shows, Stovalls, Riddles, Music Folk lap steel workshops, lessons, and years of ISGC together. Sometimes just for a glance, others, for hours. Always honest, a smile that just beamed... completely dedicated to family, friends and all things pedal steel. One of the most genuine and kind souls I've met. Every email signed... always your friend, Don. Rest in peace sweet friend. Love, Auset
David Munson

the loss of one of my mentors..

Post by David Munson »

When I first heard Rusty Young (Poco) play pedal steel and needed to fill a need.. I called Scotty's and found Don. He said yes, he could give me a few lessons to someone who did not own a pedal steel guitar but he said "what's the point" I replied " I want to under stand it before I buy one "

I then asked "Can I bring Beer" He said "Hinekenn"?
I said "Becks" he said "If you insist"

2 hours later I had my first "Helen Keller" moment as he told me about Nashville Number system. 4 hours later the lesson was over.. I felt we were bonded for life...

After more lessons than I can rembember yes we were....

Linda My heart is broken.. I'm so sorry call me.. 314 369-3913

David Munson
Sharon Denny

Don E. Curtis

Post by Sharon Denny »

So sad. Don was a member of our Indy Steel Guitar Club for 26 years & never missed a concert in Indy. We all will miss him. :(
Tom Pickett Jr

Omg

Post by Tom Pickett Jr »

I cant believe it, i was just at scott's in the store it seemed like yesterday when don and i got to sit one on one and share stories. i told him how he influenced me, with his drumming, and steel playing.
he gave me confidence i didnt have in myself.
thank you don. see you again someday. :cry:
tommy pickett and family
Debbie Johnley Glaub

Post by Debbie Johnley Glaub »

Remembering my dear friend Don...gonna miss ya buddy!
My sympathy to the family and to his dear Linda...

Debbie Johnley Glaub
Michael Scott

Post by Michael Scott »

A note from my sister...

A huge loss and ache in my heart. I loved Don as my 4th brother. We never missed a hug - ever! I will miss him.

Brenda Scott-Headrick
Colm Chomicky

Post by Colm Chomicky »

Received an email today that Don had passed. How fragile life can be. My sincere condolences to all his family and friends.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i'm shocked & saddened to hear of Don's passing away
my sincere condolences & prayers go to his family
i got to talk w: Don over the phone a couple of times at Scotty's
he was a very kind & helpful man
God rest his soul
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

I'm Shocked and Saddened!!! Don was a good friend and Major influence on my playing.

He told me the "I Love Lucy" arrangement, that Herby mentions above, was learned from Russ Weaver.

RIP Brother!
Royace Buehrlen

Post by Royace Buehrlen »

So sorry to hear this about Don, my condolences and prayers go out to the family and friends, rest in peace my friend.
HummHead Studio, SONAR 8.5 Producer, PG Music/Band-In-A-Box, GigaStudio...
Paul Polish

Post by Paul Polish »

Recieved word last night of this tragedy. So sorry to here this. Our prayers go out to Don's family and close friends.
Paul and Dee
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

An immeasurable loss. My good friend and a font of knowledge.
Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

This is quite a shock. Our thoughts and prayers will be with the Family.

Donna & Jerry