Who's steelin' on Maranda Lambert's new song?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I don't know, so I probably shouldn't have posted anything. I was writing what I saw in some old posts from Aug.

FWIW, in a Gibson interview, Miranda states that she used the same musicians that were on the previous CD, "Ex-Girfriends" which www.allmusic.com credits steel tracks to Russ Pahl on that recording.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Les, I can hear slants, and they don't work that well for me. Also in regards to imitating a pedal steel, unless you're pulling the strings behind the bar with the available fingers of your left hand, it's not going to sound that close. MO only, of course.
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

C'mon guys
Sure sounds like a pedal steel to me. Slightly grittier tone than you may be used to -- borderline distortion -- but I would bet a set of strings it's a pedal steel. And wouldn't be surprised if it's Russ Pahl. Jeff Surratt told me that Russ is into pickups and pickup placement. That solo can easily be played on pedal steel.

Just my opinion.
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I'm not sayin' it was the Duesenberg. Just pointed out that the lapsteel had levers. Haven't had a chance to play one yet, But it's gonna be able to do pedal steel stuff, without a doubt.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Russ Pahl in the studio. Chris Kline onstage.

Brett
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Barry Blackwood wrote:Les, I can hear slants, and they don't work that well for me. Also in regards to imitating a pedal steel, unless you're pulling the strings behind the bar with the available fingers of your left hand, it's not going to sound that close. MO only, of course.
:D Now you are honing in on it.:D A little amp tweaking is also part of the secret. All it takes is a few months of consistent practice. When I can get the nod and an approving smile from someone like Kyle Rhodes, I know it is working for me.

Did you play the link I posted?
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

No, I do not download anything I am not sure about, however, I'm familiar with those string bending techniques used by Jerry Byrd like on 'Next to Jimmy' etc. :)
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Just saw her on CMT in concert with her band. Chris Kline played that solo on the Mullen S-10 that Brett described above. Essentially note-for-note.

Case closed.
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

Hold on there Larry, I have played shows with Miranda before she is who she is.In the crater for one.I didn't have a chance to meet her band at the time, but she had a very gritty steel and slide player.We didn't have time for howdy doos ,but I can find out for ya.We have played some pretty muddy shows.She will understand that statement.Elbo
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

By the way rumor has it the Scotty is playing lead guitar for her.Don't know but I know His Brother Colin Ray.
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Its Greg Liez......PF
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

Never would've guessed.
Last edited by Jay Ganz on 29 Sep 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

Paul,Gregg Liez,I know him but for the life of me can't recall who he played with before Miranda.Driving me nuts.By the way there is another little gal coming up behind Miranda,Hattie Bridges,She can put it on the top shelf.Claude Gray has help us along the way.
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps