Strings

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Rupert

Strings

Post by David Rupert »

I'm getting ready to change the strings on my Mullen D-10. I'm playing through my NEW, Peavey® Nashville™ 112. I really love the 112, BTW!! :cry:

I usually have my S.I.T. Strings, in my SKB case. Well, I don't have any sets! :oops:

All they had at the local music store, were "Ernie Ball" strings. And the brand that makes the "boomer's." GHS...I believe?

Anyway, I had the girl that works the counter; make me a E9th & C6th set, from there single strings. Ernie Ball®.

I haven't used EB strings...in many years, so I forget how they sound.

Question: Would you use Ernie Ball® strings? How good/bad...do they sound?

Also, I found a set of E9th...& C6th strings that are at least...3 years OLD. Rhetorical, but are these S.I.T. Sets..."dead?". Or...can I use them? Without...the "boiling solution."

Any feedback...would be greatly appreciative!

Thanks, in advance!

Gotta go eat...I'll be back in spell!
David "DJ" Rupert

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

ZumSteel - Encoreâ„¢ S-10 / 3p x 5k (Two-Tone; Red & Black Top).
Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Most Importantly: the musicians hands...& soul.

http://www.bandmix.com/pedal-steel-75/
Gary Cosden

Post by Gary Cosden »

There are only 2 possibilities. You will either like them or you wont. Why would you not try them? Why not sooner than later when there is more chance you wont like them? I would predict you will find them quite usable regardless of what some may say about the shelf life of strings.
David Rupert

Strings / Changing string sets

Post by David Rupert »

Gary Cosden wrote:There are only 2 possibilities. You will either like them or you wont. Why would you not try them? Why not sooner than later when there is more chance you wont like them? I would predict you will find them quite usable regardless of what some may say about the shelf life of strings.
Thanks for your reply! I will check them out. It's just, that I REALLY hate...changing my strings!! I've always, "dreaded" the task...of changing my strings. But, I want to sound "my best."

If anyone else, cares to give there input/feedback...I would appreciate it very much.

Answers, to BOTH questions...would be of great value! Thanks in advance...& take care.
David "DJ" Rupert

Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Gary Cosden

Post by Gary Cosden »

Sorry - I did not mean to ignore your first question. I used to use Ernie Ball strings years ago and I thought they sounded fine. I bet they would do well enough in a pinch. I like SIT as well but like many here on the forum I use Jagwires and love them. Supports the forum as well. That being said I would not hesitate to use Ernie Ball strings in a pinch. New Ernie Balls will almost certainly sound better than just about any brand that has been on the guitar too long. I hate changing stings too but that is the price you pay to sound your best. I hope this is in some way helpful. Winnie Winston would use any strings he could find and never found one he liked that much more than others or at least thats what I recall him saying. Use up them old SITS!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I use George L's Stainless steel wound strings on my Franklin. I've used them since the Bill Lawrence string days. In a pinch if I run out of George L's, I'll use the GHS Supersteel's which are also SS and very close to George L's (GHS makes a lot of private label brands including George L's).
Bob Schorell

Strings

Post by Bob Schorell »

I have spare strings that I got from Sho-Bud back in the early seventies(probably around 30 of them). Haven't tried to use them yet but I think they would work in a pinch.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

David, I like to keep several sets of steel guitar strings either in my seat or on a shelf. Sometimes 5 or 6 sets for each neck. It might be 2 or 3 years before I get to some of them. Never had any problems due to age. They are GHS, Geo. L's, SIT's, E and C sets in no particular order.
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) Been usin D'Addario Pro-steel lately, like 'em quite a bit , although I use a 18 wound for the 6th string instead of the 17 plain in the set... :)
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I use Frenchy's Silent Series nickel. These strings are semi-flat wound so that you still get the brillience of round wound and the playing ease of flat wound. Jody.
David Rupert

Thanks Gary!

Post by David Rupert »

Gary Cosden wrote:Sorry - I did not mean to ignore your first question. I used to use Ernie Ball strings years ago and I thought they sounded fine. I bet they would do well enough in a pinch. I like SIT as well but like many here on the forum I use Jagwires and love them. Supports the forum as well. That being said I would not hesitate to use Ernie Ball strings in a pinch. New Ernie Balls will almost certainly sound better than just about any brand that has been on the guitar too long. I hate changing stings too but that is the price you pay to sound your best. I hope this is in some way helpful. Winnie Winston would use any strings he could find and never found one he liked that much more than others or at least thats what I recall him saying. Use up them old SITS!
Gary,
Thanks very much for your reply! I appreciate your input. Great information! I think I will try the Jagwire® strings. I've never used them before. I'll buy a few sets of the Jagwire strings, as well as my S.I.T. String Sets. I'll also keep the OLD S.I.T. Sets, & use them in the future.
Thanks again...& take care!
David "DJ" Rupert

David Rupert

Thanks...everyone!

Post by David Rupert »

Thanks very much, to everyone who replied to my questions!! I appreciate all of the great information & feedback. You really answered my questions, very well! I'll print out everyone's reply, for future reference.
Thanks again...& take care!! :)
David "DJ" Rupert

CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Jagwires & i get them from b0b
it's my way of supporting the fo'.. ...................bro' ;-)

http://pedalsteelmusic.com/strings.html
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

(put on flame suit)
When I look at who tends to talk up a particular brand of 'designer PSG' string, it is often one whose name is associated with that brand -- like an owner, vendor or an endorser.

Another is one who has been (IMHO) indoctrinated (or sold a bill of goods) by someone who they respect (who may well be one of those owners vendors or endorsers)

I have no such prejudice. I have found no 'magic elixir' in any of the jag-cobra-diamond-coated -- whatever strings.

Three secrets:
1. Use a GOOD BRAND of FRESH string that is stored properly -- heat and humidity will degrade any string over time. What is a good brand? Any brand that sells well -- as Jack Stoner mentioned some of the larger mfgrs (like GHS) actually produce the strings in some of those 'designer packages'. For my money, GHS and SIT are as good as any, but I've used Rogue (subsidiary of Fender), Fender, Gibson, and many other brands. All are acceptable as long as the strings are FRESH. I like GHS and SIT because they are popular and don't sit around a store or warehouse for long.

LEARN TO THROW OLD STRINGS AWAY. Look at one you've had for several years -- run your finger down the length of it -- you are likely to find minute pits that will cause intonation problems and physical weakness and early breakage. It's not worth it to keep old strings. They aren't THAT expensive.

2. Change your strings at least once a month -- more often on the 3rd and 5th E9 strings -- and more often if you play a lot of gigs (more than a couple of nights / wk) or practice 3 or 4 hours / day. If a string sounds 'zingy' -- CHANGE IT. If you can't tune it properly or it doesn't fret accurately above the 12th fret -- CHANGE IT. Learn to HEAR what a string sounds like when it's about to break.

3. Keep your strings CLEAN. Wipe them off after playing. It's like brushing your teeth -- strings WILL ROT. I use a treated Blitz cloth, and have for years, but any clean cloth will work fine -- just get the gunk off before you tear down your guitar after a gig.

Now I'll jinx myself:
I haven't broken a string onstage in more than 5 years by ensuring that my strings are
* A GOOD, REPUTABLE BRAND
* NOT MORE THAN A MONTH OLD

I pay between $7-8 for a set of SIT Stainless 12- string universal strings. I alternate between my three guitars and usually play 3 or 4 gigs per week and rarely practice more than an hour a week.

THERE IS NO MAGIC STRING BRAND THAT WILL SOUND BETTER AND ELIMINATE STRING BREAKAGE FOR GOOD. If you raise and lower a .011 string enough times IT WILL BREAK -- regardless of the alloy or mfg technique. And, yes, FRESH Ernie Ball strings should work just fine. If you didn't know, Ernie Ball was a steel player. :)

This is just my opinion, but, more importantly, my EXPERIENCE of playing thousands of bar, theatre, concert, and recording gigs over almost 40 years. I used to just leave them on until they broke, then tried to get really good at changing strings onstage. Believe me, it's better to keep them clean and fresh. They sound better, tune up better, and break FAR LESS OFTEN.
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
Alfred Ewell

Post by Alfred Ewell »

Storm Rosson wrote::) Been usin D'Addario Pro-steel lately, like 'em quite a bit , although I use a 18 wound for the 6th string instead of the 17 plain in the set... :)
My steel was in a closet 12 years when I bought it, the 3rd was broken. Put on a D'Addario Pro-steel set and they sound better than those from the previous millenium :) Got 3 sets of Jackson strings and lots of Jagwire 3,4,5 and 6 (most breakable) spares from the forum, but haven't broke any yet (gotta play more!)
The D'Addario's are good - but they make good strings for my violin and mandolin, so I sought them out.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Larry Bell wrote:When I look at who tends to talk up a particular brand of 'designer PSG' string, it is often one whose name is associated with that brand -- like an owner, vendor or an endorser.
Guilty as charged. :mrgreen:
Use a GOOD BRAND of FRESH string that is stored properly -- heat and humidity will degrade any string over time.
You can't get any fresher than the Jagwire strings from the Forum catalog. I have a hard time keeping them in stock, and Jagwire ships to me as fast as they can run the wire from the factory and package it up. Almost all of the Jagwire sets on our shelves were manufactured within the past 3 months.

Also, the Forum office is climate controlled with no windows.

Click <blink>STRINGS</blink> at the top of any Forum page to go to the catalog.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

b0b,I'd like to order some of them fresh strings like I often do but it says everything is out so how can I get some?
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Wonderful way to support the Forum and be guaranteed that you start out with fresh strings. :)

Keep them clean and change them when they're due and you'll minimize breakage when playing and ensure they fret accurately and tune properly.

I have no bone to pick with Cobras or Jags -- I've used both from time to time. I just go through a lot of strings and tend to buy 6 or more sets at a time and also buy dozen paks of individual strings. You get a pretty good price break buying in bulk -- but only if you need and use them. They will degrade with time.

Go b0b
:)
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

I don't care for the hex core strings.They seem to cut the windings.
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
b0b

Post by b0b »

Dick Wood wrote:b0b,I'd like to order some of them fresh strings like I often do but it says everything is out so how can I get some?
If you order something that's out of stock, I'll send them as soon as the strings arrive here. Sorry that I can't predict when they'll come in. :\

I can usually make up a set from singles to tide you over until they come in, if necessary.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Jack Goodson

strings

Post by Jack Goodson »

i ordered strings from b0b last friday, sent a check by regular usps and got the strings yesterday (i live in new brockton alabama which is in the southeast corner of the state)....you definitely cannot beat the service and for sure the jagwires....thanks jack
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

I buy Jagwire strings from b0b and it helps support this forum and they are also the best strings you can get. You have a choice of nickel or stainless wrapped. b0b keeps the price low for our convenience.
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

Let me say this,I live in a town over 150,000 and the biggest music store around don't even furnish strings ,or anything else for steel guitars.I've looked to the forum many times for strings for standard E9th and they have been out.That might explain the demand.Seems like more guys are playing steel or starting to learn than ever.Thats a good thing.
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

One other thing that would help me and most beginers would be a colored string at the right spacing.I have already checked on this and there is nothing out there.String 8 green 6 red 5 blue 4 plain 3 yellow ,2 any color that will let me not hit it unless I want to.This is just a thought.But site is a must for beginers.I know what some may think that have been playing forever I don't even look at em.But at this stage I have to.This thing is like plucking a harp.
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

If you think that will help, then get a bunch of magic markers and knock yerself out. :)

It will encourage you to look at your fingers while playing. Not a good habit -- especially looking at the fingers of your right hand.

As a beginner you would be served well to practice the major chord grips for 15 minutes or longer every time you sit down to your guitar. Play the following string grips:
10 8 6
8 6 5
6 5 4
5 4 3

You should be able to do this WITHOUT THINKING (and, more importantly, WITHOUT LOOKING). From the bottom up (as shown) and top down (reverse). You'll save a lot of money on magic markers that way AND will feel a confidence in playing you won't have if you're 'just fishin' for it'. Set your metronome for about 60 beats per minute. You should eventually be able to change the grips that fast without mistakes. Start out giving each grip 2 or 4 beats, then graduate to a beat each at 60 bpm. Once you home in on those grips you can find 1,2,7, and 9 more easily and can start working on how to use those non-major-chord tones to your advantage.

I sincerely believe that a good steel guitarist should be able to play in the dark or on a guitar with no fretboard.

Just a suggestion.

I assume you know that you can use regular ball end guitar strings. If you can find individual guitar strings to make up your set, it's not necessary to buy the pedal steel E9 set -- they're the same strings. Just be sure to get the correct gauge strings and avoid mixing stainless wound strings with nickel plated steel strings.
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

I've used the GHS SS for over 10 years now and find them to be very consistant in tone and reliability.
Since they make strings for many other brands that tells me something right there.
Don