Dean Dobbins

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Red Kilby

Post by Red Kilby »

I Hope someone thinks to bring his "Big Mug" to the funeral, he was never without it at a Steel Guitar Show if you all recall? I am gonna miss his larger than life personality, he always had a smile for ya, and a song. The Lord has another real fine singer in the band. We will miss you old friend, RIP.
Last edited by Red Kilby on 21 Sep 2010 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Caruso

Post by Frank Caruso »

He sure is going to be missed, he was truly a friend
and a great guy,I shall miss him .
Lana Rosselli

Post by Lana Rosselli »

I haven't been able to make a post about the man I call Colonel until now. I remember Dean all dressed up in his white suit. Made me think of Colonel Sanders. Eve would send 'uglies' and Dean always put a little Bailey's Irish Creme in them - called it my early Christmas stocking. What a wonderful person. I am really going to miss him. Rest high Colonel!

Eve, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. If you need anything please do not hesitate to contact me. steelradio@charter.net and I'll get the message. Take care lady.
Miss Lana
SteelRadio.com
Rich Mounce

Dino

Post by Rich Mounce »

I have had many people contacting me about arrangements and as of right now I still have no info. I do know he was taken to:

Davison-Fulton/Anderson Chapel

815 North Fourth Street, Chillicothe, IL 61523-2054 | 309-688-5700 |

You can check their website and maybe find out more today or tomorrow. If I find out more I will post.
Debbie Johnley Glaub

Post by Debbie Johnley Glaub »

Condolences to the Dean Dobbins family...very sad news. As everyone has stated, he will be deeply missed..RIP Dean
Debbie Johnley Glaub
Rose Peters

Post by Rose Peters »

Condolenses to the family of Dean Dobbins
We injoyed him in the Big River Steel show
ILL. & Iowa Quad Cities
from the New Possie Band
Steve Reno
Tom Holder
Joyce Spiedel
Tom Picket sr.
John Peters
Mullen u-12
Peavy Piggyback amp
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Wow. I have not been on the forum in a few days and just found this.

My prayers go out to Dean's family.

Dean and I always had a great time when we met up at the ISGC. He was missed this year at the show.

Bill Ferguson
Gary Strode

Post by Gary Strode »

Dean will be surley missed at the OSGA Memorial Day Shows. As he had grown up in Tulsa, this was his second home and he was always a part of the OSGA shows. He sang behind some of the top steel players in the country here, and was an excellant steel player too. His friendship, smile, and laughter will always be remembered.
Our sincere sympathy go out to Eve and the family.
May God bless you during this time.

The OSGA Family
Tom Pickett Jr

deano

Post by Tom Pickett Jr »

mega diddo's with everyone. i dont remember dean ever talkin' bad about another steeler, like them all. dean was not just a fine player, and great singer, he was union plumber, and just as professional there as on the stage, i got to work with him on both sides and laughed thru it all.
we will miss him. but wont forget the mugs, or laughter, and a smile he could put on your face
even when you might be bored as hell at the moment.
i think he saw this and wanted us all to just smile more :D
Albert Svenddal

Post by Albert Svenddal »

I am saddened by the news. Dean was a great singer and a good friend at the Iowa Jam. I will miss him.

Blessings, Albert
Williams D-12 9x7, Emmons PP D-10, 8X5, Quilter SteeAire amp.
Dan Chroninger

Dean Dobbins Arrangments

Post by Dan Chroninger »

E. Dean "Dino" Dobbins
E. Dean "Dino" Dobbins, age 72, of Rome, passed away Saturday Sep. 18, 2010 at 1:50 p.m. at his residence.

He was born Oct. 16, 1937 in Tulsa, OK to John and Grace (Boles) Dobbins. He married Lenora "Eve" Stewart June 1, 1956 in Tulsa. She survives along with one daughter, Dana (Jeff) Dennis of Richmond, KY, one son Allen Dobbins of Chillicothe, and three sisters: Joann Godwin of San Jose, CA, Joyce Jeck of Tulsa, and Nellie DuVall of Tulsa.

He was preceded in death by his parents and one brother, Johnnie Dobbins.

Dean was a journeyman plumber in the Peoria area for over 50 years, retiring in 1999. He was devoted to his wife and children, loved to cook for family and friends, and discovered golf during his retirement. His life long passion was country music. Dean was a gifted singer and an accomplished steel guitar player who performed with several country music legends all over the United States. More recently he attended annual steel guitar conventions where he enjoyed meeting people from around the world.

Funeral services will be Friday Sep. 24, 2010 at 12 Noon at Davison-Fulton Anderson Chapel in Chillicothe. Visitation will be one hour prior to the services on Friday at the funeral home.

Burial will be in Chillicothe City Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers memorials may be made to Rescue 33 in Chillicothe.
Chuck Thompson

Post by Chuck Thompson »

my condolences to Dean's family. Dino was so helpful and encouraging to me learning the steel guitar from the first day I met him. Im also laughing right now thinking about how he caught me with his darn answering maching everytime I called him.
Buck Grantham

Dean

Post by Buck Grantham »

This is the last time we saw our friend Dean.May-2010 at the Tulsa show. He always had a smile on his face and his big cup in his hand. And he loved to play and sing. So long friend ,we had some good laughs together. Love, Buck & Mitzi
Music to light up your life
Buck Grantham

Dean

Post by Buck Grantham »

Music to light up your life
Bruce Czarnetzki

Post by Bruce Czarnetzki »

The master of friendship and comedy. We will miss you Dino. Rest in peace my friend.
Jon's brother Bruce
Bob Callaway

Post by Bob Callaway »

We were shocked by the news of Dean's passing. I first met him at the Lexington show in 1991. We fast became friends. He always had a joke and smile plus his big cup. He always lit up the Derby room in St. Louis. God bless him and family, he will truly be missed by all who knew him. R.I.P. {Popsicle}.
Bob&Barb and Margit Stepp Derby Steel Guitars.
Derby D10 Serial No.8 - Derby 10 String Lap Steel
pair Nashville 112s
President of Louisville Metro Steel Guitar Club
Member LMSGC, NTSGA, ASGA, OzarkSGA, PSGA,
www.BobCallaway
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

This is really sad news. I already missed Dino at this year's convention. I always looked forward to chat with him and listen to his stories. My prayers and condolences go out to his family.

RIP, Dino
Leslie Elliott

R.I.P Ole friend

Post by Leslie Elliott »

Wow - what a shock. We looked for him in St. Louis and missed his smiling face. He sure spread love and kindness where ever he was and will be sorely missed.
Heaven just gained a great person - go rest in peace in the arms of our Father. We loved and enjoyed being with you all these years. Your friends, Ron and Lesle
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

So sad to hear this news...Our condolences to his family. We'll miss you your good pickin, sweet voice, and warm smile....
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
John L. Farrell

Post by John L. Farrell »

I just now learned this and I am so sorry to get this terrible news. I knew I had missed seeing Dean at the convention and hearing him play and sing. My condolences to the family. Dean made his mark on the music business and he will be missed at many music gatherings. Russ Hicks, you are right on in your comments.
Kirk P Dighton

Post by Kirk P Dighton »

Deano was a classic! He always had a smile on his face, a joke in his head and a compliment to pay you along the way. We will truly miss him especially at our Iowa Shows!
Kirk Dighton
Rich Mounce

Dino's Funeral

Post by Rich Mounce »

We attended Dean's funeral today and it was a wonderful turnout. It was wonderful to see so many of Dino's friends and fellow musicians at the services. He would have been so happy to see everyone there. We will all miss Dino very much!
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

He was a funny man. Everyone needs to see his spoof on Jeff Newmans Speed Picking video. One of the funniest things you'll every watch. RIP
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Always liked visiting with Dean every year in St. Louis. He will be missed. I found this video of him singin and playin his ole black Emmons. . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIB3cZ1leD4
Jerome Vogel

Post by Jerome Vogel »

I don't post, but I'll make an exception to say a few words about ol' Dino. I always looked forward to seeing and hearing Dean at our local shows. He was a pro. It made him nervous to perform on steel in front of a bunch of steel players; guess he's not the only one. Dean thoroughly loved and enjoyed music, and that was contagious. The goodies he brought were a nice bonus. He was generous that way. I will miss his presence at future shows. It hasn't completely sunk in yet that he's gone.

I happened to call Dean shortly before the ISGC. It turned into a long chat, which I reluctantly had to break off to get something else done. Dean was always a "good visit", and I'm grateful for that last conversation.

Jay and Darin, thanks for the great photos. I enjoyed them very much.