Some pictures of the Sho-Bud factory 1977

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bas Kapitein

Some pictures of the Sho-Bud factory 1977

Post by Bas Kapitein »

In my response on the topic on the old Sho-Bud shop I promised some pictures I took in the Sho-Bud factory. Here they are:

Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Is that Jeff Newman in the next-to-the-last photo?
David Kellogg

inlays

Post by David Kellogg »

I'm seeing inlays that I have never seen on a Bud before, they must really be pretty rare. Thanks for the peak at the past Bas. Looks like the Disco years for sure.
Bas Kapitein

Post by Bas Kapitein »

Yes that is Jeff with one of his week-seminar classes. He invited me over the next night.
On their last night, he would treat his class on a show by Buddy Emmons. I brought my camera and I was seated front row. You will see the results within a few days

btw, Shot Jackson leaded this tour but I only have a "shot" of his back (he is in blue)
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Bas -

Absolutely stunning - what a phenomenal and rare glimpse into the past! Hopefully the grizzled veterans of that era will keep chiming in with more stories and recollections.

I can only recognize Jeff Newman for sure. Is that Katz Kobayashi with him? Is that Paul Franklin, Sr. second from the left in the fifth picture?

Thank you!
Bob Vantine

Post by Bob Vantine »

8) just think one or both of my 1st two Mavericks could've been in those pictures. 8) Maybe even in that pile of wood ! :lol:

GREAT PICTURES !......THANK YOU !
EQUIPMENT:
"TEAK" ZUM STAGE-ONE Steel / C6th Lapsteel
Peavey NV112 , CLASSIC and EFX112 amps
Peavey Guitars
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

Is that Theresa Franklin Galbraith assembling the pedal bars?
Thank you for the photos!
Doug Earnest
Manufacturer of Stage One & Encore pedal steel guitars
http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com
"Teach Your Children Well"
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I think I might have one of those half-dozen Blonde single necks on the right side of the top picture.
The timing would be about right, and mine looks identicle.
Cool Pics!
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Unbelievable shots of all those guitars. That is really nostalgic. I recognise Lloyd in one of the shots. He's the only one that I can pick out apart from Jeff Newman.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

In the picture of the wood, it looks like Paul Franklin, Sr, on the left side at the rear of the wood pile.
Kirk Eipper

Post by Kirk Eipper »

Looks like they had access to a lot of birdseye maple in a couple of those photos.
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
Larry Tracy

Post by Larry Tracy »

Man, Those are great shots. Thanks for posting.
Bas Kapitein

Post by Bas Kapitein »

Paul Franklin is probably true, although in those days I did not make the connection. He was the nice guy that explained everything about the building process. Lloyd certainly was not there. I would have recognized him because I owned all his albums.
The rest of the people are either staff members or Jeff Newman’s students. Some of them probably are forum members right now
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

That looks very much like Lloyd standing behind the young boy.

Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Its either Lloyd or Sabu.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

I have checked with Lloyd and he kindly gave me the following response;

Ken,

Thank you for asking about this photo. I've looked at it closely and while it sure looks like me at that time, I don't think it is for several reasons.

First, Bas Kapitein, who owns the photo states he had all of my albums in that era and says it isn't. He would have certainly known if I was standing there behind Paul Franklin, Sr. and the "kid". Second, it looks to me like a pack of cigarettes in the gentleman's shirt pocket. I had quit smoking many years before. Third, although the fellow isn't in the best light or focus, he appears to me to be sporting a moustache that I never had, but perhaps not. And last - if this was a Jeff Newman class - I never took lessons from my friend Jeff (just kidding)! But I did learn a lot about steel guitars from Paul Franklin, Sr.

So, although I wish I had been in that photo it's almost certainly not me. Viewing this treasure trove of long ago pictures Bas has shared with the Steel Forum members and us lurkers is just wonderful and nostalgic.

Best regards,

Lloyd Green

So there it is - I am mistaken, so it must be Sabu!! :D
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

So Lloyd lurks here? Awesome!
Bill Lowe

pretty cool pics

Post by Bill Lowe »

Pretty cool pics. Thanks for posting
Bas Kapitein

Post by Bas Kapitein »

This is NOT Lloyd, but I took a picture of Jeff's class the next day and he is not in it, so it must have been just a visitor like me
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Bas - regardless of anything else, your photos are priceless for those of us who love the heritage and history of steel guitar.

Reference lurkers, you would be very surprised at some who view this site without disclosing their identity. I know a number of significant players who like to quietly peruse the forum threads in peaceful anonymity. ;-)
David Griffin

Post by David Griffin »

Awesome pictures.Took me back in time. It's a shame that more "lurkers" don't post. Your knowledge & wisdom needs to be passed on. :D
Bas Kapitein

Post by Bas Kapitein »

Two more

Last edited by Bas Kapitein on 19 Sep 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Wisecup

Post by Greg Wisecup »

This question is posed to all of you that were connected to Sho-Bud or downtown or the Opry in those days. Did you have a sense that you were living and experiencing a very special time in music history? Did you have a feeling that something very special was going on but maybe just couldn't figure out what it was. Nothing like the early days and the magic that was made back then will ever occur again in my opinion.
If I had to do it all over again................... :)
Derby SD-10 4&5 Black!(duh)/
Derby D-10/Steelers Choice/
Goodrich 120/ 2- Katana Boss 100's
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I never had any sense that it was a "special time" or would be a "memorial time" in the history of the steel guitar or country music. That doesn't come until later when you look back on something like this.

I met a lot of pickers and "opry stars" but when you work in the industry it's different than when you are just a "fan". Roy Acuff and Brother Oswald would come over to Roy's store during the week and they would sit around and tell "road stories" and that was great but it didn't feel like I was living in "history", but now looking back it was.

It was "special" to me at the time because I was working for my steel guitar "hero", Little Roy Wiggins. Little Roy was the reason I took up steel when I was young. I would buy Eddy Arnold records to listen to Roy. Getting to pick with him (Rhythm Guitar for him) and his "roadie" (restringing his guitar) was even more special. I had the priviledge of picking with some big names at Roy's music store "shows" including playing rhythm for Bill Monroe.
Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

Very moving pictures. I played a '74 Pro II for 25 yrs that looked just like those in the pictures. It's like seeing the birthplace of a best friend that I had some good times with.