Mike daly

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Des Hetherington

Mike daly

Post by Des Hetherington »

dose anyone know of Mike Daly and where he comes from? i heard him play on a Walt Wilkins album called Hopewell, really loved his tone and style Cheers Des
Rains SD10 4 pedals 5 Levers, webb 614E,Goodrich Vol
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I think the Mike Daly you're talkin' about is Hank Williams Jr's steel player.

Brett
Dan Galysh

Post by Dan Galysh »

If it's the "Hank Williams Jr." Mike Daly, he's originally from Cleveland, Ohio.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Or do you mean Mike Daily?? :?
Lauren Ellis

Mike Daly

Post by Lauren Ellis »

He lives in Nashville, and is a great player for sure!
Des Hetherington

Post by Des Hetherington »

i would just love to hear some more of this guy,, anyone know of vids or recordings?
Rains SD10 4 pedals 5 Levers, webb 614E,Goodrich Vol
Mark Dershaw

Post by Mark Dershaw »

Mike moved to Nashville from the Cleveland area close to 25 years ago. He has played and recorded with numerous artists throughout those years. He used to play in a band here locally with Al Moss who is a forumite. Try sending Al a message. They're still friends.
Al Moss

Post by Al Moss »

Mark is right. Mike and I have been pals for years and here at my house there's a shelf and a half of CD's that Mike has played on. We worked together in a Cleveland band a long time ago, Mike on steel and I played elec. gtr. --Great steel player way back then and even better nowadays.
(Mike is also a forum member.)
Some band and studio stuff would include the Gibson/Miller band albums from the mid 90's, more recent work includes the Pat Green albums --"Cannonball" and "Lucky Ones", a bunch of the Walt Wilkins stuff--"Hopewell" is a real nice one, and one of my favorites is the Walt Wilkins produced "Mercy" album by Sam Baker, there are two more Sam Baker's that are real nice too.
Last edited by Al Moss on 14 Sep 2010 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Daly

Post by Mike Daly »

Deth... I am glad you enjoyed the Walt Wilkins CD. As Al Moss mentioned I have some more Walt recordings that might interest you as well as the Sam Baker CD and even a Christmas CD. If you want, please contact me "Mike Daly"<mikedsteelman> with your mailing address and I will send a few things your way.
Mike Daly
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Mike Daly. One of Nashville's secret weapons. Great stylist player.
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

Mike's Christmas CD is killer! So is everything else he plays.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

Here we go again.
There are 3 MD's that play steel
Dave Alfstad

Post by Dave Alfstad »

Forgive me guys, but I have been out of the loop for a few years and have just recently returned to the fold. So, a Mike Daily played steel on the cd of an artist that I am currently working for. I thought that maybe it was George Strait's steel man, but it seems that there are other Mike Dailys out there. Apparently, it is probably not GS's MD?

Dave Alfstad
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Dave Alfstad wrote:Forgive me guys, but I have been out of the loop for a few years and have just recently returned to the fold. So, a Mike Daily played steel on the cd of an artist that I am currently working for. I thought that maybe it was George Strait's steel man, but it seems that there are other Mike Dailys out there. Apparently, it is probably not GS's MD?

Dave Alfstad
Hey Dave, the guy who plays steel for George Strait is Mike Daily. The man playin' steel for Hank Williams Jr. is Mike Daly....different spellin'.
Dave Alfstad

Post by Dave Alfstad »

Thanks for your reply Brett. The credits on the cd listed a Mike Daily as one of the steel players. I told the artist that I'm working with that that is Strait's steel player's name. He didn't know that, and I think that he would know if GS's steel player was on his cd (or maybe not, some folks are oblivious to such trivia). Anyhow, he recorded his cd in Nashville so I think there must be another Mike Daily doing studio work there.

Dave Alfstad
Dave Alfstad

Post by Dave Alfstad »

Also, another question about George Strait's Mike Daily...

I was playing a show a couple weekends ago at a bike rally in Iowa. One of the other band members said that he met a guy there that claimed to be George Strait's steel player. The guy didn't really seem to make a big deal out of it and that's all I heard about it. Steel players tend to gravitate toward other steel players, so I figured the guy was full of bovine manure since he made no attempt to talk with me. But, it did kind of get my curiosity up. It was a pretty big bike rally; BUT it was in little ol' Iowa. Just curious...

Dave Alfstad
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Dave Alfstad wrote:Thanks for your reply Brett. The credits on the cd listed a Mike Daily as one of the steel players. I told the artist that I'm working with that that is Strait's steel player's name. He didn't know that, and I think that he would know if GS's steel player was on his cd (or maybe not, some folks are oblivious to such trivia). Anyhow, he recorded his cd in Nashville so I think there must be another Mike Daily doing studio work there.

Dave Alfstad
Dave, the Mike Daily who plays steel for George Strait is from San Marcos, Texas and the Mike Daly with Hank Williams Jr. is from Cleveland, Ohio. Mike Daly, who plays steel with Hank is a forum member too and I thought I saw Mike Daily, George Strait's steel man on here a few years ago.

Brett