Steel Guitar Amps

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Hey, as long as you don't mind picking up a Travis Bean guitar and various bits of memorabilia with it you can have one of Jerry's Sho-Bud amps for 300k and change!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-Travis-Bean-Gu ... 162wt_1202
Bruce Hamilton

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

To comment on Jim's question about amp voicing I have always thought that the increase in mid range honk was to compensate for the lack of mids on the all pull guitars that started coming out in the late seventies. If there is one thing missing in all pull guitars compared to push pulls it is midrange. But I could be wrong.
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

Bob Hoffnar wrote: Mostly I'm talking to Bill in the shop about putting it together.
Yeah buddy! I'd like to know how that works out for you, keep us posted. Bill is the cat huh? I try not to pester him too much, but he's such a nice guy...
Lost Pines Studio
"I'm nuts about bolts"
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

I was sad to hear that Fender stopped making the Steel King. I love mine...it has TONE!!! It's not a tube amp, but that doesn't matter....I can nail the Bakersfield tone (Brumley/Red Rhodes) that I love perfectly with it.
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

Jim Cohen wrote:But Curt, my point is: why should an amp that's supposed to be 'voiced for steel guitar' have a 'honk' in it in the first place that everyone needs to try to get rid of? That's what doesn't make sense to me.
You hit the nail on the head Jim.

I will say this...the Steel King does not have the dreaded "honk" when all controls are dialed straight-up 12:00. They really did a fantastic job in designing an amp that sounds great right out of the box. I could never get a good sound out of ANY of the Peaveys I have owned (N400, N1000, S400).
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

I heard Danny Sneed playing through a DD3 Delay pedal and into a Crate Power Block (150W) and into a 1-12" speaker cab...he sounded AWESOME!!!

I know another GREAT steel player that uses a 500W G/K Bass amp head...about 5 lbs...with a Digital/Delay and sounds GREAT!!

I'm gonna go that route with the 200W version into an old Peavey NV cab w/o the chassis and will be using the BW-15" speaker.
DESERT ROSE D-10 8/5...Joe Naylor "SteelSeat"...
Gallien-Krueger MB200 amplifier through an Alessis MicroVerb w/15'Peavey cab.
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

David Ball wrote:I picked up one of the Frenzel 5e3 based amps used off of Ebay some time back mainly out of curiosity, and it's really a nice amp. Very quiet for a tube amp, and has both a Fender and Marshall style preamp built in. Pretty nice, plus it will handle 6V6, 6L6 and EL-34 output tubes. I run mine through a JBL D130F with EL-34s right now and it sounds great. 6L6s sounded great too.

Only down side is the lightweight aluminum chassis. I don't know that I'd use mine for a carry on the road amp because it's pretty easy to dent, but especially for what they cost (even new), they're awfully nice amps.

Dave
Dave, a killer combination for this would be using the Frenzel as a preamp (using something like the THD Hotplate to bring the output stage to line level) into a Furlong powered cab. I used this in St. Louis with a THD UniValve, and it was killer. Whatever tone/drive you want at any volume level.