Please help me transcribe this very common lick.

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Jim Peter

Post by Jim Peter »

After reading Richard Burton’s post I took it as a challenge to figure out this lick myself (thanks Richard). He was right it is fairly easy to figure out and I ended up with the second lick that Matthew tabbed out. For my own curiosity I tried the first lick where you slide back to the 8th fret and I am wondering why would you do it this way. Am I missing something here? I am much smoother staying on the 10th fret during the whole lick and it seems to sound better.

Thanks,
Jim
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

The song modulates to, I think C, and you don't want to leave the lick hanging in the air....so, the lick actually ends on the 'One' count of the following measure (hence the notes on fret eight. :)
Regards,
Nic
1970 P/P Emmons D10 flatback 8x5, BJS Bar, J F picks, Peavey Session 500, Telonics pedal. Boss GX700 effects.
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Jim,
As they say....Nothing is cast in stone.... So, do it any way you like if that works for you.... :)
Nic
1970 P/P Emmons D10 flatback 8x5, BJS Bar, J F picks, Peavey Session 500, Telonics pedal. Boss GX700 effects.
Jim Peter

Post by Jim Peter »

Nic,

In his post Matthew tabs out two ways to play that lick. Both accomplish the same thing but he says he prefers lick #1. In that case he picks string 5 at the 10th fret with the A pedal down, slides to the 8th fret with the A pedal down and then back to the 10th fret with the A pedal down. In the second lick you pick the 5th string with the A pedal down,release the A pedal and then engage the A pedal again. As you say nothing is cast in stone and I was just wondering for my own curiosity why Matthew (and maybe others) would prefer the first method. Does it sound better, is the phrasing better, am I missing something here? I am just trying to advance my understanding of the instrument and hoping that I could learn something from what seems to be a simple lick.

Thanks for all your of the help.

Jim
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Hi Jim,
Want to get in your car and come over to me?.....I can explain much better that way! :D
The lick in question is very much along the lines of several Mooney type licks...... I reckon they originated from the non-pedal days, where you had to be deft with your left hand to be able to do those quick slides. So, although we have the luxury of pedals that will give you those same notes all in one spot, the overall effect is just not the same. you need that bit of 'sloppiness (don't flame me) in the sound..... Knowing that you have to slide the bottom note, makes you more aware of clean blocking of the top note.... If you listen to the lick again, you'll hear that it ends on the start of the following bar, which is the next chord in the song.... So, going down to fret 8, and let the A pedal off, will have your bar position in the right spot for that key.
I hope this helps a bit.
The tab posted has been done by me. We're all just trying to help!
Regards,
Nic :)
Last edited by Nic du Toit on 24 Jun 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew Carlin

Post by Matthew Carlin »

Credit where credit is due ....... The Tab I posted is Nic's ...thought I could save him some email time....

If you like Ben Kweller check out this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_viGNQE ... re=related
"Just tryin to make some music in the money business"
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Hey Matthew, that's such a cool vid!..... Enjoyed it. :D
Josh Sharpe

Post by Josh Sharpe »

Great licks on this tune! Does anyone have any idea (or tab) on how he does the walking lick at 1:45?

Josh
S-10 Carter. Peavey Nashville 112.
Bands I'm in :
American Anodyne http://www.americananodyne.com
Floorboard Songs http://www.reverbnation.com/floorboardsongs
Josh Sharpe

Post by Josh Sharpe »

Hey Nic,

Would you mind emailing this tab to me? I'd like to see your practice techniques.

joshsharpe@live.com

Thanks a lot!,

Josh
S-10 Carter. Peavey Nashville 112.
Bands I'm in :
American Anodyne http://www.americananodyne.com
Floorboard Songs http://www.reverbnation.com/floorboardsongs
Declan Byrne

Post by Declan Byrne »

Hi Nic Can you send to me also if still have it .Many Thanks
declan_byrne@ireland.com