Billy Phelps on not starting licks from the tonic

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brandon Wright

Billy Phelps on not starting licks from the tonic

Post by Brandon Wright »

This is an awesome piece of info guys. It's helped me a lot with the single note runs. I'm sure most of ya'll, "The Gnar dogs of pedal steel" know this but if you don't already... check it out. It really does spice things up. I've only been playing since February so learning this is a serious break through for me and i thought I'd share it with you guys.

I got a gig on the 11th and I'm definitely gonna utilize it....for all it's worth.

From what Ken Metcalf said, Billy is gonna give a lesson over at the Austin Steel Co-op on the 3rd Sunday of this month. It's gonna be boss hogg. I can't wait to learn some more stuff off this guy. So if any of ya'll are in or around Central Texas. I hope to see you there

Cheers
Brandon Wright

i forgot to post the link

Post by Brandon Wright »

Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Awesome stuff and so common sense. Wish I had the stamina to sit down and learn all the scales and ways to work within them. Billy is awesome! He must have learned off of Jeff Newman :-)
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

Brandon, thanks for posting that link. He does what he calls a "pick harmonic" in some rock songs that I still haven't figured out. :\
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

That Darn Billy Phelps... He thinks he's so smart :)

http://www.fullcirclesound.com/billyphelpsbio.html

I attempt a pick harmonic like that on the steel by picking a string with my thumb and finger at the same time at the right place at the right time :\
On 6 string it is some times called a pinch harmonic.
Come out to the Austin Steel Guitar Co-op and ask Billy himself... Or Better yet...
Come see me at the 290 West Club in Austin Texas every Friday night 9-11
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Billy's teaching material is some of the best out there. And if you get a chance to go to where he is teaching, you will be glad you did. Check his website for a list of his material. Jody.
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

Jody, I agree. I've tried to get some one on one with him while I've been in the Houston area but it's never worked out. One of these days.......

My best,
Marty B.
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

That reminds me,
Billy say's he will be available for one on one lessons in the Austin area.
Check with Billy for time and availability.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.