Why Pay More For an Overhauled Used Guitar?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

The pictures Mickey posted of abused and molested parts is the reason I do not like to buy any used PSG, unless it has been refurbished by someone I can trust, like Mickey. or a only a handfull of others.

Unless the price is right and allows me to pay for a refurb and set up , then no matter what it, is I will pass.

The late John Fabian told me that the return spring adjusters were removed from Carters because if not, his repair dept. would have been over run by re sets for well intentioned but unqualified owners that made adjustments.

Ask Bobbe about the strings that were soldered to the tuners or any of the thousands of molested steels that have come thru his shop.

Anyone that would question Mickeys' integrity probably can't tune his guitar. :mrgreen: >:-)
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

Bo.I will agree with!
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Mickey, who questioned your prices on guitar refurbishing? It sure looks to me like you definately know what you're doing!
:o
Jimmy Lewis

Post by Jimmy Lewis »

For someone to question someone's integurity like that is someone I would stay away from If the person is questioning someone with the ability to refurbish anything would seem to me that that person who is doing the questioning would be someone to watch because they probably aren't homest to begin with and that can't understand how someone like Mickey could be honest. Like I have said im previous posts Mickey I appreciate what you are doing for the steel community
J PARKER

Refurbs

Post by J PARKER »

Mickey you Da man on the Mullen products. Keep up the good work. Jim
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

I just read this entire post everyone...And I must say...Im lucky to have good friends like all of you...Im humbled deeply..AS for naming names...That would just start another firestorm...so its best left unsaid...I will say this...The guitar in question sold the next day..So..Alls well!!>..Peace to you all..

PS...Family member health problems are keeping me away from StLouis this year, at the last minute. Hope you guys are all having a blast and I look forward to seeing you all in Dallas in March!!!..Mick in Dallas!
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Well, I can say I've never done any business with Mickey, but I can tell you exactly why he does what he does Read Below:

I would certainly hope that anyone ending up with a used steel, thinks enough of it, to remove the Changer Assemblies, (or have a competent tech do the work) to clean the old dried lube off, and not just simply lube it and start playing it.

Any pedal steel that's sat idle over a long period of time (without being played) should have the Changers removed, and the old lube (that turns to crust) cleaned off. If not, the fingers, and axles will be destroyed in very short order.

I've found there are people who aren't aware that oil, grease etc, (after use) dries out and forms a hard crust after sitting idle over long periods of time. When speaking of Long periods of time, I'm referring to even two or three years, of sitting idle. It then becomes very, very abrasive, and acts much like sandpaper would, if placed between the fingers and axle shafts.

When a pedal steel is being played and every few months, gets a drop of light oil, between the fingers, it keeps the old oil from hardening and flushes it out. Whereas, once sat idle and allowed to harden, I haven't found any other way of "really" getting all of the old crusted oil, completely out, short of pulling the Changer Assemblies...........

Maybe that will help in determining exactly why he does what he does. I'd say, it's because he DOES care.

Keep up the good work Michey, and if I ever need a plane ride, I'll give ya a yell.......... :)
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Don, I agree completely. The first question I ask on used guitars is when is the last time the guitar was lubed/cleaned and how long has it been lying in it's case. People come on the Forum selling 30 year old guitars that have worn parts and are out of adjustment and lubrication and they think that they have gold. What they have is an old piece of machinery that needs to be disassmbled, cleaned, and adjusted. Possible parts replacements likely. They wonder why they can't play in tune. Unless you start with a well regulated and lubed guitar with good parts the rest is moot.
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Kevin,

Absolutely. That's why I always say that I'd rather buy a steel for playing immediately, that's been played right up until the time it's sold, (or close to it) rather than folks assuming that a better sale is a steel that's been sitting idle for years, and sell them as being in new condition, barely played.

That's true, on outward appearance, and/or the steel could very well be Brand New, (and never played) but if having sat idle for a couple of years or longer, you best know that it will definitely need the Changer/s Removed Cleaned and lubed, before you use it, or it won't ever play as it should. That also applies to the Cross Shafts as well.

Nothing will tear the Fingers and Axle Shafts up any faster than that old hard crusted lube, and in a very short period of time. Ask me how I know! I've worked on too many that didn't get what was needed before being played. Just as I'm quite sure Mickey and others have too...............

That's why it is that so many are tightening up their return springs to get them to half way work right.. While all they're doing is tearing up the Finger Bores and Axles, by doing that, instead of finding out why it's not returning right and then after that is corrected, go ahead and adjust the return springs. The cause for so many steels having hard working pedals and stiff knee levers as well............

Bo, I asked John the same, and got the same answer from him too. I told him he definitely had a real good point, in why they didn't. My question was for lessening the tension, to only the amount needed to do their job on a well lubed and maintained steel. But found out they were just about perfect in that area too........
Rich Peterson

Why pay more fore an "overhauled" used PSG?

Post by Rich Peterson »

Well, duh! Pay more so you can start playing it right away?

Of course, if you buy a steel for a "project" instead of to play it.......