Hey GFI Ultra owners!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Adam Lang

Post by Adam Lang »

I have just ordered a GFI Ultra from Billy Coopers who have fantastic customer service, and I have been informed that all Ultra models come standard with stainless steel fingers. Can't wait for the delivery! :)
Sonny Priddy

Gfi.

Post by Sonny Priddy »

I Have A SD10 Gfi I've Had It About 6 Years It Has Aluminum Fingers Been Played Hard Never Had Any Trouble Great Guitars. SONNY.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

I just ran across this thread.

I wonder if you did in fact send the guitar back to the factory?

My Ultra has aluminum fingers. When I sent it back to the factory for unrelated work a couple of years ago, I requested that they also change out the fingers for stainless steel, or put in a new changer with the stainless steel fingers (not for free, of course!), and they declined to do it. That's why I'm curious if that policy has changed.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

We have an "Expo S-10 with aluminum fingers. I put George L's Nashville (SS) strings on it, the same as I use on my Franklin D10, and it made a huge difference in the sound. There is no "buzz".

The Expo is my Wife's as she is learning steel.
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Aluminum fingers have been used for decades without any problems. So I don't see why anyone would say "Wow I'd change them out right away?"

The ones that came on my GES, are still in great shape, and not many pedal steels have had as many playing hours on than what she's had. She was made in 1968 or 1969, and she's good for another 40 or so.

Many times, it's the people who own them that make his/her own problems, in just as many different ways.

Putting strings on wrong, etc. That's right! There is a right way and wrong way of putting strings on.

The ends of the wrap, always have the cut off portion of the string, that sticks out to a certain degree. Lots of people don't know that when putting new strings on, ALWAYS put that facing away from the finger, or it will groove the finger and many times, that wrap (depending on the changer) comes up and over the top portion of the finger. Then, Bingo they just created a finger that starts buzzing, and then blame it on the steel.

Now concerning the one who said that the company wouldn't change his Changer over to one with Stainless fingers.

I'd say the reason behind that was probably because they knew that changer wouldn't interchange in that cabinet. Just because it's the same make steel, doesn't mean just any of their Changers will work in something that wasn't designed for that style Changer.

Also remember, when resurfacing a finger you don't just use a chuck of sandpaper. A great way to completely destroy an otherwise perfectly good finger in a heartbeat.

I hope something said here helps someone out.

Also, Leave the resurfacing of fingers to someone who knows, that a finger is "By Design" a very precision piece, and needs to remain that way throughout the resurfacing. Whether done by hand or by machine. There's much more to it, than just simply sanding the finger....................