Steel Guitar Amps

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Anderson

Steel Guitar Amps

Post by Rick Anderson »

Where oh where have our steel amps gone. Seems we may have only 2 companies making amps for steel. Webb & Standel( $$$) ..I'm not sure if peavey is still making the 112. to small for me. I think its a good time to put a preamp and amp in my rack.. If anybody has any info or even rumors...I like to know. Rick
2 Super Pro's- Derby 8x6- Power Slide- Baratone- NV1000 -2)NV400, Lexicon MPX1/MX200-
tc electronic G*Major2 - Digitect GSP 1101- -Dobro. MXR resonator CSPO 15 by Tom Bradshaw
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Try an Evans AH200 amp head and SES200 cabinet. Five pounds on the amp head, 28 pounds on the cabinet, and a ton of tone.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Yes, don't leave out Evans!

They've been producing amps for us steelers for 40+ years. Different ownership, but consistantly great amps. Mine is 25 years old now and still going strong.
Rick Anderson

Steel Amps

Post by Rick Anderson »

Would you believe I use to sell them..I forgot about Evans...Thanks for getting back to me.
2 Super Pro's- Derby 8x6- Power Slide- Baratone- NV1000 -2)NV400, Lexicon MPX1/MX200-
tc electronic G*Major2 - Digitect GSP 1101- -Dobro. MXR resonator CSPO 15 by Tom Bradshaw
Barry Hyman

Post by Barry Hyman »

You can still buy a Peavey Nashville 112 (Bobbe Seymour has the best price!), the tone is phenomenal, and if 80 watts and 50 pounds is too small for you, my ears and my back hurt just thinking about it.
I give music lessons on several different instruments in Cambridge, NY (between Bennington, VT and Albany, NY). But my true love is pedal steel. I've been obsessed with steel since 1972; don't know anything I'd rather talk about... www.barryhyman.com
Rick Anderson

Amps

Post by Rick Anderson »

Thanks Larry, I notice your from my edge of the country..checked out your website very nice. Hope to run into you someday.
Rick
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Rick,
The Forums own Ken Fox builds a great steel amp!

http://foxvintageamps.com/
Twang to the bone!
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

The classic Fender Twin still sounds great with a steel guitar.
Robert Parent

Post by Robert Parent »

Classics like Music Man, Fender Twins (especially with 15 inch extension), and many bass amps work well. Lots of people like PV, Evans, Webb, etc...
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Any amp I use has good sound. I want one that makes me sound in tune and replaces clams with sweet notes.
Dave Yustin

Steel Amps

Post by Dave Yustin »

Walker Stereo Steel sounds great and is user friendly. GD Walker builds them. Check out the Walker Stereo Steel website. If you call out there, you speak directly to him. I've got one. All the effects are built right into the unit-reverb, delay and anything you ant to program in yourself.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

I'm stuck on a Steel King and a Music Man , for my efx amp , for all I do. Wish I could try a Webb ! Thats about all I have not tried.
You know , we are in a recession ! I'm getting too old to hope for anything better.
Got a pretty good sound though !!
Black Box, Steel King and Music Man. The best I have ever had.
Finally became Peavey Steel Amp Free.
I know everyone has to start with a Peavey. Almost as good as a Silvertone. Sears Robuck ! Jeff always talked about "Silvertone" ! The Peavey amps are OK if you have never heard anything else. !
I still have a couple of Peavey MX amps for my Tele. I have a Nashville 400 that I had to buy back, from a friend, it sounded so bad. I guess it will become green box material.
:?
Last edited by Bill Moran on 28 Aug 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Bill, I have to admit I'm confused. First you declare,
Finally became Peavey Free.
I know everyone has to start with a Peavey. Almost as good as a Silvertone. Sears Robuck !
and,
I have been there and done that ! With the Peaveytone amps. OK if you have never heard anything else.
then you go on to say,
Peavey is a great company. They have helped us along the way
and,
Peavey is a great company and will build what we want.
So what's it gonna be? Do you love Peavey, or hate 'em? :?
Kevin Klimek

Playing my steel through a Carvin! Try it!

Post by Kevin Klimek »

This may be a different approach, but I have a pair of Carvin PA speakers. The specific model I use is an LM15A. These speakers have an internal built in power amp with a three channel mixer on the back panel and EQ. While it's a "dry" speaker with no effects,I have all the effects I need in my pedal which is a Digitech RP200. The speakers are very light at around 39 pounds and can be pole mounted or set on the floor as monitors, etc. Each speaker cab has a 15" woofer and a horn tweater, biamped at 350 watts. If you need more power, use a pair in stereo; then you've got 700 watts working for you. They sound AWESOME and have a direct out to daisy chain to a PA mixer, etc. At $399.00 direct with the option of returning them for a full refund if you don't like them, you can't go wrong. Not sure if it's legal to post their link. I will, but you can also Google Carvin for more info. I own several of their guitars and sound gear and it's bulletproof. All factory direct.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/s ... duct=LM15A
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

My latest amp is the best I ever heard - Ken Fox' new steel amp! It isn't cheap but, for a hand-made amplifier, it's far from expensive.

I repeat - the best I've ever heard (and only around 44 lbs, too!)
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Barry, I have no problem with Peavey . I have just had my fill of there steel amps. If you want a cheap amp that will last a long time, buy a Peavey. If you want tone buy something else. Peavey does put a lot of effort into the steel guitar world. They have a great service dept. also. I just think Fender,Evans, Music Man and lots of others sound better. I have never had a Webb or Fox but I would bet they don't sound like a Peavey ! :)
Bill
Barry Blackwood

I have never had a Webb or Fox but I would bet they don't sound like a Peavey !
I'm sure they don't, Bill, however, is the difference worth thousands of dollars? Each of us has to decide.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Barry,, Trust me, it is !
Lets face it. All amps will get the job done. Some do it better. You usually get what you pay for.
Bill
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

That's a moot point. I've always declared that the difference in price isn't justified - those super little NV 112s sound terrific, and I'm still depending on my pair of them for my very heavy work-schedule.

However, when I had a chance to try Ken's amp (my pal, Larry Bell, has one) I was convinced and, as I'd been having a good run of well-paid work, I talked myself into paying the $2,000 price-tag.

Now: a confession!

I'm playing every night out here in North Dakota and my new state-of-the-art Fox Vintage Amp is back at home. That's because every year I've done this gig (five in a row!) we've had our amps on stage in the open air, and I didn't want to subject the new amp to that. So, I brought my NV 112s as usual but - guess what? We're now using IEMs and our amps are safely indoors and remotely mic-ed up in the warm, dry sound-room! I could have brought the Fox!!!

Still - I've had the usual great performance from both Peaveys, and I won't be getting rid of them. I paid $400 a piece for them many years ago (when they first came out) and they owe me nothing!!!
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

A 'PS'....

The 112s may be an excellent steel-guitar amp, but when it comes to my Telecasters, the Fox knocks it so far out of the park it's not a fair fight!!! I bought Ken's amp with the 15" in deference to my steel, but I've always enjoyed my Tele through a 15", too - it's amazing!
Barry Blackwood

Roger & Bill, even if I could afford it, I'm afraid I'm a little too pragmatic when it comes to the issue of cost = tone. You guys go ahead with the esoteric amps, I'll stick with the Peaveys, and put all the money I save in the bank. :)
Bob Vantine

Post by Bob Vantine »

BARRY....
I'm with you !
During the summer I use my NV112 and during the winter months I use (1 or 2) EFX112 and still have my (old tube) CLASSIC to fall back on .Bass rig & PA System also are PEAVEY...( :? guitars too ! :\ )

Used nothing but PEAVEY for close to 30yrs

****Bob V****
EQUIPMENT:
"TEAK" ZUM STAGE-ONE Steel / C6th Lapsteel
Peavey NV112 , CLASSIC and EFX112 amps
Peavey Guitars
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

That's a relief! I'm glad we've got the okay to 'go ahead' from Barry!

I was wondering if I was going to have to return it!!!

:D

The truth is that I could very happily continue to earn my living using nothing but Peaveys, and there'd be no tone problems at all. However, sometimes, when it comes to our passions/hobbies/obsessions (playing music, while it's my job, also falls into all three categories) it can be quite fulfilling to indulge our tastes for the best that money can buy.

It's sort-of fun, and not meant in any way to be elitist. When work is plentiful I tend to indulge myself a bit. I think that's fine as long as no-one suffers hardship as a result....
Brick Spieth

Post by Brick Spieth »

Don't forget the Furlong split with a Sarno pre amp. I am not worthy, and won't be for a while.
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

Personally I like Peavey Steel amps but hey, I don't like Emmons P/Ps.
I had Fender Twin way back when and I took the two twelves out a put in a 15" JBL. Will still take the Peaveys.