western swing - Lee Jeffriess video added 10/11

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steve Waltz

western swing - Lee Jeffriess video added 10/11

Post by Steve Waltz »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_XTtjHe_3Q

or go to our website www.westcoastramblers.com

It's a speedy West/ Jimmy Bryant song called Hillcrest.

I thought some people would like to see what Lee Jeffriess is up to lately and it seems that it's non pedal players that appreciate Western Swing so I thought I would post here. Lee used to play with Big Sandy.

Please drop by the website and downlaod four free tracks or just listen to them as they play. It's a brand new band and we could use your help to let people know about it and to sign the guestbook so that it looks like people are showing up. It's only been live for a few days and no one knows about it yet. There is nothing for sale and no pitch, it's just fun music for you to hear.

www.westcoastramblers.com

For you equipment types, The Steel is a sierra, the amp is a Stromberg/Carlson PA coversion thing that Skip Simmons does. I can't remember what mic was used for that amp. We kept the recording clean and I don't think there are any effects on anything other than a bit of reverb on "On The Alamo".

We also have a very good guitarist, Josh Workman. He played with Indigo Swing and Hot Club of San Francisco. I think he and Lee do a great job playing off each other.

Let me know what you think,

P.S. if you know a website where our link would be appropriate, please put it there.
Last edited by Steve Waltz on 11 Oct 2010 1:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thomas Ludwig

Post by Thomas Ludwig »

Thanks for the link. These boys play wonderful.
Outstanding steel work by Lee.

Once a friend gave me the Big Sandys "Jumping from 6 to 6" CD. That CD makes me retune a 6 stringer to C6 and try to play along the songs.
Marino Galli

western swing band with Lee Jeffriess

Post by Marino Galli »

I Agree with Thomas:-
W O N D E R F U L B A N D !!!
Especially the outstanding work of Lee.
When I've heard for the first time Lee Jeffriess in two Big Sandy's Records(Swinging West& Jumpin from 6 to 6),
I've immediately emigrated from 6 to 8 Strings (C6th)on Non Pedals Lap Steel!
In my humble opinion
Lee Jeffriess deserves more 'awards:-
He is one of the few who carries the torch of Speedy West!
Viva LEE !!!
Kind Regards
From Switzerland!
Marino

PS:- Someone can 'give me the Lee's email adress? :oops:
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Thanks Guys for keeping this Genre of Western Swing alive and well. Great job !
Steve Cunningham

Post by Steve Cunningham »

Cool stuff - Lee sounds great, as always. He was a big influence/inspiration to me back when I first started getting into steel. I still have a bunch of his licks transcribed from the first couple of Big Sandy records...his playing always makes me smile. One of the all-time greats, in my humble opinion.
Steve Waltz

Post by Steve Waltz »

Billy Tonnesen wrote:Thanks Guys for keeping this Genre of Western Swing alive and well. Great job !

Billy, I emailed you the other day. I'd love to have a chat about your days in the bay area and take some notes. I saw a photo from the early 50's yesterday of a downtown Oakland night club called "The Top Hat" and a western swing band was advertised as Glen Smith and his Golden West Playboys. I haven't looked to see what I could find yet but that's the stuff I'd love to hear about. I've also seen some photos of huge crowds outdoors in Richmond by the shipyards for groups like Dude Martin.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
Steve
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

You have a really good sounding band there and Lee is a real prince of the steel guitar. He plays all the right stuff at all the right times and really knows the language. Big fan here!
Bill Leff

Post by Bill Leff »

Man, that is IT. It even sounds old (take that as a compliment).
Owen Barnes

Post by Owen Barnes »

I love what you're doing! True western swing which I personally enjoy the most. I play in a western swing band here and have found that we have a loyal following. Great sound guys!
Jimmy Douglas

Post by Jimmy Douglas »

Great band and fantastic steel! Look forward to the world tour! what sort of steel is that one?

Jimmy :D :whoa:
Todd Clinesmith

Post by Todd Clinesmith »

Right on Lee and Steve
The tunes sound great. Hope you guys take it on the road and head north.... I'll be there when you do
Jimmy, Lee is playing his Sierra. It is late 50's or early 60's.
Todd
Jimmy Douglas

Post by Jimmy Douglas »

Thanks Todd, All-round Cool guitar.This band must be a gas live! Nifty website as well. I knew I was in the wrong Brisbane :D

Jimmy
Larry Lorows

Post by Larry Lorows »

Great music. I only wish the kids would get into this kind of music so we could hear more of it. Larry
U12 Williams keyless 400
Vegas 400, Nashville 112, Line 6 pod xt
Lee Jeffriess

Post by Lee Jeffriess »

Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen I certainly appreciate it.It's sure is good to be playing again.
Billy T,your work with Larry Black in Shorty Joe's band is an inspiration.
Jimmy, the guitar is a 64 Sierra D8 it is tuned to Bb6 and F13 (Boggs) it has six pedals.
We are just getting started and I am looking forward to getting out and playing live shows.
Cheers
Lee
Anthony Locke

Post by Anthony Locke »

Lee, Your playing is fantastic, i'm glad to hear that you are playing more. Please post more stuff!! I would love to hear someone of your caliber playing swing with pedals and with those tunings!
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I remember when the whole vibe in the room got kicked up several notches when you started to swing, Lee. Good luck with the new band!
Del Bonn

Western Swing Band with Lee Jeffries

Post by Del Bonn »

I'm an old down-beater from the Western Swing era.
Ahhh, it's GREAT to hear Lee Jeffries on the steel again! That's my kind of music!

This is positively the very best music I've heard during or since the Swing era. Does this old heart good to be hearing it again!

Thanks Ramblers
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Lee, is Big Sandy still playing? Who's his steel man these days? When did you move up north? I saw you with Big Sandy at a Long Beach backyard pool party a few years ago, I was shooting pix of you guys.

Great you guys have the 4 tunes for free download, they're jumping into my iPod as I write! Sounds wonderful, the real McCoy, from the whole band.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Great stuff!!
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I remember seeing Lee play with Little Sandy in NYC about 9 years ago....he was playing a Stringmaster T8.....as well as he sounds....you've got to SEE him play.....that is a show unto itself....
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

Another big thumbs up for the West Coast Ramblers. Great authentic western swing the way it should be played. Been a fan of Lee's playing for many years.

John McClung - Big Sandy is still touring but they haven't had a steel player for about three years. Still a great band but I do miss the steel.

Off topic editorial note: Some of the modern self proclaimed "western swing" bands should take a lesson from the West Coast Ramblers on authenticity. Sorry - in my book the E9 Nashville steel guitar style does not belong in Western Swing.
Steve Waltz

Post by Steve Waltz »

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the nice comments. Thanks Billy T. for the information that you gave me.

I also wanted to give a heads up that this weekend we are going to do a very basic video but with good sound of a Speedy West tune. It should be posted on our site by the end of the weekend. We are going to try to do this a lot and we will let people know by using our email sign up information at www.westcoastramblers.com. So if you would like to know when things like that are happening, please go back to our site and sign up. If you state where you live I will be able to remove you from any mailings that have to do with local shows.

Lee is also going to do a quick video of how he does bar crashes, tone pedal techniques and things like that.

Thanks,

Steve
Twayn Williams

Post by Twayn Williams »

Tim Whitlock wrote:Off topic editorial note: Some of the modern self proclaimed "western swing" bands should take a lesson from the West Coast Ramblers on authenticity. Sorry - in my book the E9 Nashville steel guitar style does not belong in Western Swing.
+1 IMHO as well :)
Primitive Utility Steel
Jimmy Douglas

Post by Jimmy Douglas »

Steve,

Looking forward to the video(s.)I know we are in Steel without pedals but do you think Lee would post his D8 copedant?

Jimmy