Talking about cable guitars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Alan Brooks,

Now that you mention the possibility that the material could have been other than Erector parts, I thought of the multiples of predrilled angle irons used in department stores to facilitate the display shelving. Truckloads of structural steel can be found en masse thrown in a heap at large junkyards. To be at the right place at the right time, is all that is required. At one time, you could get a real bargain when scrap prices were low. Scrap metals have taken a sky-high leap in prices paid for delivered metals.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 10 Aug 2010 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

An incredible piece of steel wire measuring only 3/64 in diameter and about 6" in length turned up in some assorted odds and ends this morning. It's a bit springy, although I don't recall working with any wire quite so resilient. It appears that it would bend under extreme pressure without breaking. It reminds me of the hardened wire used in choke and throttle controls. That type of wire can be useful in combination with the use of springs to achieve successes in producing a workable steel guitar. There are those things in life that can make you gasp with anticipation. Inexpensive things that work very well in certain applications are oftentimes channeled into improving the function of the steel guitar.
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

TTT
Gotta keep this thread going... 'cause we are still waiting right?
Come on Mr. Bill... Still holding my breath here. But seriously, I do want to see your pics...
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!
basilh

Post by basilh »

Bill Hankey wrote:Duane,

Thanks for issuing assurances that all is well. I appreciate your candid and friendly approaches in situations such as proper forum behavior. Your A-okay statement to proceed at will is very commendable, from my standpoint. Proceeding in the direction of show and tell, really is something that I truly would enjoy doing. Please consider that I'm not a camera buff, and digital cameras are the preferred means of producing clear pictures. Dave Zirbel and Allan Munro have shown a great deal of interest thusfar in cable usage. I haven't missed a word of their requests to see pictures of a working pedal steel; driven by cables, foot and knee power. Please allow about a week or so to produce the photo. The concepts I'm sure are valuable, altho the showcasing end would require precision made parts to enhance the undercarrige appearance.
Posted Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:40 am
Dick Sexton

Post by Dick Sexton »

Deleted.
Last edited by Dick Sexton on 11 Aug 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

basilh,

I've located the telephone number of a late sleeper who is a camera and computer enthusiast. He can be very accomodating. I'll speak with him today. My profile doesn't hint of absenteeisms. I'll try not to goof up on my promises.

Allan,

Thanks for the notes and reminders. One cable feature surpasses steel 1/8" rods. Their useful features includes the flexability not typically seen in the stiffness of rods. A significant advantage to say the least.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

basilh,

My friend helped in showing this photo of my homemade steel. It's different, but amazingly accurate.

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Dick Sexton,

The strings have been removed in the photo while changes are made. Therefore the finger pulls are not in their playing positions. The pull of the strings hold the fingers tight against the stops. There is nothing pretty to look at beneath the steel, but please don't make judgments before hearing its capabilities. The white vinyl reflects the light and allows the different sized pulleys to be seen. Some time ago, I tried forward push knee levers, and "GOLO" lowering mechanisms in place. I've since removed a considerable number of extras. Cable versatilities allow for numerous random changes not possible with the straight rods. Rods have poor memories, compared to cables.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 12 Aug 2010 5:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dick Sexton

No judgement here!

Post by Dick Sexton »

Bill, I can see it is a work in progress, and there isn't a doubt in my mind, it does exactly as you have stated. If it makes beautiful music, it is a beautiful machine, aesthetics aside. I'm not a cable man myself, so the underside does look a little cluttered to me. A necessity I'm sure. Would you post your copedant? Also, it seems to resemble a Pull/Release, at the changer. Is it in fact?
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Dick Sexton,

The strings hold the fingers at the stops. Short adjustments maintain accurately the many raises. The lowers are spring loaded, and held against an adjustable stop. One of the kickers is the adj. stop on the second string lower. That touchy adj. is right at my fingertips. As always, one of the problem areas that gave me the runaround, was developing an accurate 3-way changing arrangement to keep those 4th and 8th strings at perfect pitch. The years have rushed by, making it difficult to even consider working on a more presentable steel. I'm happy to say that the steel such as it is, has been introduced to many familiar tunes. The copedant is standard E9th changes, with the Day pedal setup. LKL lowers 4 and 8 1/2 tone, LKR raises 4 and 8 1/2 tone, RKL raises 4 & 8 a full tone, RKR lowers 2nd 1/2 tone, full tone lower optional, LKV raises 1 & 7 1/2 step. At one time I made two short pedals and placed them above the A & B pedals. The 5 and 6 lowers could be used there. I hurriedly and inadvertently missed the pretapped holes just to the right of center. I'll retap and center the crossshaft this evening. Don't let the biased shaft lead you to believe that it changes the function of the steel.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 12 Aug 2010 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

So there you are, cables and more cables. I, personally, have no problems with that. Thanks for finally posting the pic Bill. Can I ask you to go the final step now and post a sound bite?
I think I said before that I have been working, with no rush, on various experiments towards designing/building a steel. I have considered cables as a possibility, in a manner very like what you have done. That is the reason that I was so keen to see what you had going. I actually feel quite encouraged!!! That's a good feeling.
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Papa Joe Pollick

Post by Papa Joe Pollick »

Vey interestng Bill.Thanks for posting the pic.I like that RKL function.been kickin' that idea around myself..
basilh

Post by basilh »

Interesting Bill, just 2 pedals ? and is that a vertical fretboard ? What's the scale length?.
Too many questions, so I'll give you an answer to one of the problems facing "CableHeads"..

I've found a source of supply of quite small but strong pulleys, you may consider them. I use them and find them excellent.

The picture is a "Clickable link. The pulleys are Single Block Without Becket

Pekabe:- stainless steel, materials and fiber-reinforced plastic! Central to the Pekabe-Range are the time tested model yacht blocks, well-known to model yachtsmen all over the world, developed by Pekabe, fitted out with ball-bearing mounted sheaves with sea water resistant NEOX lubricant. The 515 guarantees to maintain the distance between the side cheeks and jamb free rotation of the rope pulley!
Specifications:

· Length: 13/16""

· Width: 3/8"

· Body Thickness: 3/16"

· Sheave Dia: 5/16"

· Weight: 1.85 grams
Bill Rode

Post by Bill Rode »

Speaking of cables......." man do I have some cables for you", here are some shots of my cable drive project I'm restoring.
Bill

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

basilh,

Thanks for responding. Questions are always welcomed. The "bench" steel is equipped with the vertical fretboard, (tipped slightly forward) to facilitate visual advantages. In the upside down position, the contoured curly maple armrest is lost from view. For single neck applications it has become totally acceptable. To shave the maple contour, I used broken glass. I wouldn't want to hear of any type of injuries as a result of my suggestions. Years ago, I've seen woodsmen put the finishing touches to homemade ash ax handles after a hard day's work in the woods, using broken glass that serves as a planing technique. Always protect the eyes and fingers from injuries. There must be a million things in life that can injure, so it comes down to looking before you leap. The SCALE measures 24 inches. If my memory serves me correctly, the FENDER 1000 featured 24 and 1/4" from bridge to bridge. On the subject of pedals, YES INDEED! I gave the (C) pedal the heave-ho, and with good reason. There is something about that (C) pedal change that I feel could be improved upon. Back in the days when the greats of steel were putting their heads together, they omitted the knee lever option of raising the 4th and 8th strings a full tone. I've always used that change on the RKL. For years, until recently, I kept it on the floor for just a few songs, such as "APPLE JACK" or a popular Mike Smith "lick". My reasoning dictates eliminating that pedal. As they say, "To each, his own". Having those full step changes of the 4th and 8th strings in combination with the 1/2 step E-F change at the knees puts me in command of voicings that cannot be achieved with the (C) pedal on the floor. Lastly, The PEKABE pulleys designed for yachtsmen are beautiful creations. Indeed, thanks for pointing those out to me. I would mention that I acquired a number of small aluminum grooved pulleys measuring 3/16" in thickness X 1" in diameter. The original FENDER pulleys I believe "torment" the cables a bit more than 1" in diameter pulleys. I want to mention while on the subject of pedals, that at one time I
had a pedal cluster of 6 pedals. The number included the 2 short pedal mounted above the A&B pedals. I'm aware of changes that matter greatly to top pros. The second string 1/2 tone raise, double raises of the 1st string, 1/2 tone lower of the 9th string, 5th and 6th full tone lowers, make up the "tools" of the super pickers. My steel is equipped with the 4 half tones changes without moving the bar on strings 4 and 8. The walk down in the song "APPLE JACK" by Tom Brumley features that rundown. I like those comfortable padded knee levers. Making provisions to transport the steel with just two "legs" removed is not a problem. I mean to say, a cover featuring elasticity to protect the playing surfaces, and a comfortable bed is all that is needed. The pay off is realized at setup time. Thanks again for introducing those pulleys.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Allan,

Thanks for not tar and feathering me for taking a few liberties. I hope to be able to read from the progress you are making with steel related endeavors.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Bill Rode,

Thanks for sending the picture of your restoration project to this thread. If you've ever experiencd even the smallest of problems, please let us hear from you.
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

Bill Hankey wrote:Allan,

Thanks for not tar and feathering me for taking a few liberties. I hope to be able to read from the progress you are making with steel related endeavors.
I am not sure what you mean by 'taking liberties' here. You promised pics in a week, you delivered in a week... The pics work as far as my desires for input are concerned. No liberties there.
Ummmmm, now I want to tie you down as far as delivering some sort of sound file goes. :D
No liberties taken Bill, thanks again for the pic.
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Allen,

I expect to be visiting two bands this weekend. I'll know more after speaking with a couple of members who know more about putting some sound out there.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Papa Joe Pollick,

Interesting that you would recognize the value of that full tone 4th string raise on the right knee. For years I've wondered why the 8th string has received just minimal attention separate from the E-F, and E-Eb. My question would be directed to anyone who can give a logical answer. Why? Perhaps the "famous" (C) pedal can finally be exposed for the excessive workload that it couldn't handle. The only reasonable explanation was the "feel" that players experience with the extra workload at the pedals. The planners "Overlooked An Orchid While Searching For A Rose, musically, by avoiding that full tone raise of the 8th string. I'm speaking of absolute majorities.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

It wouldn't be wise to fight the current trendings by resisting beliefs such as , if you haven't got it, go out and get it. New that is to say, colorful things that glisten and shimmer under the critical light of the sun. Many may wish that they could have at it, until the realization that following trendsetters is an inconceivable occupation. I wouldn't regard the possessions of a neighbor as a distinguishable outward sign of betterment. Natural unpredictable events can subject even the richest to overthrow or ruin. Good health in mind and body is worth more than all the gold. How does this connect with the few who will never experience ordering by mail order, a new pedal steel guitar, shipped right to their door? Homes, cars, food, apartments, tickets to entertainment centers, all have become unaffordable. There are some real problems existing, with the potential to cause concerns among those who are trying to follow the rules known to be free from disrupting a lifestyle.
Henry Songer

Talking about cables

Post by Henry Songer »

Well Bill, I guess it is time for me to eat a little humble pie. The picture was interesting to say the least, but I still think you need to be in politics
Henry
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Thanks Henry! I hope to read about your current thoughts and where your interests are centered. I feel as though there would be a wide range of pertinent liberalities within your grasp that you may wish to share for the purpose of learning about new ideas.
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

basilh wrote:...a source of supply of quite small but strong pulleys...
Good stuff! I use the local railroad modelers store as a source quite often but they don't do boat stuff so I never thought of using this kind of thing before.
Thanks for that link...
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

Bill Hankey wrote:Allen,

I expect to be visiting two bands this weekend. I'll know more after speaking with a couple of members who know more about putting some sound out there.
Any success in the sound bite field Bill? (I'm back holding my breath here!!! :wink: )
Only nuts eat squirrels.