Detuned lever release

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Sigi Meissner

Detuned lever release

Post by Sigi Meissner »

E9th neck on an Emmons ll: When I release my RKL which lowers my e's to e flat it does not return in tune accurate. For that I have to move a bit the lever that makes e to f. I have tried different bell crank whole positions and I turned the finger spring more to the endplate. The problem remains.
I'm shure this topic has been covered already. Thnx for any help.
Sigi
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Both strings? (4 and 8?)
The purpose of a return spring is to return a lower to the proper pitch. Sounds like either one or both strings need a bit more tension on the return spring. You should be able to gently push the finger back into position (at rest against the changer) manually if the spring is the problem. Grasp the lower finger with pliers and check for any resistance or binding as you move the finger in and out. If there's nothing binding it is probably the return spring. Tighten it a bit more -- do one string at a time.
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Is it returning flat or sharp? If it's flat, do what Larry suggests.

If it's coming back sharp that is called "hysterisis" and a common problem on strings that are both raised and lowered. One potential area is the roller nuts, if they are binding (very slightly) that can cause that. Otherwise, unless there are tuneable "drop return compensators" such as are on my Franklin generally there isn't much that can be done.
Evan Coulombe

Post by Evan Coulombe »

Glad I spotted this before starting a new topic. I've got a S10 GFI Ultra that I'm having the same problem with--the 4th string E returns flat from D#--even after a setup at Steel Guitar Nashville. I'll try out what you suggested, thanks.