Don Helms Honored

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Bill Cook

Don Helms Honored

Post by Bill Cook »

Don Helms was honored Sunday Sept 18, 2005 at the Hank Williams Museum. Don recieved a key to The City of Montgomery from the Mayor's office, A Proclamation from The Governor recoginizing Hank Williams and Don Helms Week and a Proclamation from the Alabama Legislature recogining Hank Williams and Don Helms Week. Don and Miss Hazel were also presented a huge photo of many small photos from Don Lynch's personal Collection. Don Lynch and Don Helms also performed a 30 min. segment featuring The Don's on Steels. This celebration was the main highlight of the Annual Hank Williams Birtday Celebration at the Hank Williams Museum in Montgomery. A new exhibit called "Audrey's Dream" was also dedicated by Lycretia and others. By far the main attraction was Don and Miss Hazel. Many local and area misicians performed in the museum's expanded music room. The celebration started Friday afternoon at 3.00 and did not end until Saturday night around 10.00. Don and Miss Hazel were definitely surprised and had a grand time. They both looked great. Don is doing better every day. His playing was Flawless. You could hear a pin drop when he played "I'm so lonesome I could cry" acappella. This was truly a great day in the History of Don and Miss Hazel's life. I was the first to buy a copy of his new book and got Don's autograph. This was a great event.
Bill and "THE ALABAMA GANG"
Dan Carey

Post by Dan Carey »

Thank you for posting this. I know of no one
more deserving of this honor and recognition than Don Helm's who has pioneered his music into the hearts of millions.
Lynn Owsley

Post by Lynn Owsley »

Hail, Hail, The Gang's All Here!!!
Congratulations Yall....
Sonny Priddy

Post by Sonny Priddy »

Was Jett Williams There? SONNY.

------------------
Leslie Elliott

Post by Leslie Elliott »

HOORAY for DON!!!!! There is no one more deserving of these honors. Don is definitely one of a kind, both in his musicianship and as a friend. We are so proud for him and of him!! Keep playing "the you know what" out of that steel-Ha!Ha! Congratulations from two of your most dedicated fans and longtime friends. We love you and Miss Hazel!!
Ron and Leslie
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Sonny,Jett was not there. Don said that since he quit playing for her he had tripled his income. Said he might consider letting her work for him!!!!
Bob Taillefer

Post by Bob Taillefer »

He is the real deal! Congratulations! Bob
Bobby Caldwell

Post by Bobby Caldwell »

Atta boy Don. Keep it up pal. We love you and Miss Hazel. Bobby and Linda
JACK HEERN

Post by JACK HEERN »

It couldn't have happened to a more deserving person!
Jack
Bob Hempker

Post by Bob Hempker »

Uncle Don, Congratulations!! I love you, and I thank you for so much. You paved the way for steel guitar into Country Music, and you helped me and so many greenhorns learn the ropes of the road. I'll never forget you.

------------------
Bob Hayes

Post by Bob Hayes »

Don Helms is not just a ledgend & a great steeler,He IS a very Nice man. I first met him live and in person at the BelCove ib Hendersonville,Tn..Then later on at some other jams.He went out of his way to show me some "stuff" and just talk. Like he'd known me forever! And I have found that to be true with Most of the steel guitar family! How lucky I am to have such a family and friends. Keep on pickin' Don
Grouchy
Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

A BIG CONGRATS TO YOU DON!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well deserved i'm sure. Donna
Luke Morell

Post by Luke Morell »

Congradulations Don and Miss Hazel ya'll deserve it. You're the GREATEST!
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Don,

I can truly say it has been an honor knowing you. I still recall the first time I met you in the hallway at WSM back when you first came there some 60 years ago. We were standing there talking when the announcer came out of the studio and said, "Don, give the station break for me. Be sure to give the time within 15 seconds." You stepped into the studio and gave the station break flawlessly, stating the time just as the second hand on the clock passed over the "12." I was impressed then by your cool behavior,and I've been impressed ever since by your cool playing. I know that all of your friends and admirers join me in a big "congratulations" to you and Miss Hazel. Country music would not have been the same without you. You're the guy who taught us all to play above the 15th fret.

------------------
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR=BLACK><P ALIGN=left>Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Couldn't happen to a nicer fellow. All the
best for the best.
Steve Piticco

Post by Steve Piticco »

Congratulations Don & Miss Hazel [|:-o}-<,
Spike & I love you both so much oxoxox!

Steve Piticco. http://www3.sympatico.ca/spiticco/
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

By Request!! "Hail Hail The Gang's all Here"" The "Alabama Gang" Salutes our Hononary President and Ambassador Mr. Don and Miss Hazel Helms.