Ghost Riders in the Sky - YouTube ---->

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jason Anderson

Post by Jason Anderson »

Very cool! Nice work.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Good job Doug, that was great :) Which pickup is in that, Gibson used a couple different ones over time.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks Jason and Tom. The pickup is a single coil, black, with non-adjustable poles. I think it's pre-P-90.

There were two versions of the Century 6 lap steel. The earlier version, about 1948 to '54, black finish and PU as described above. About 1955 Gibson changed the look of the Century 6, salmon finish, P-90 soapbar PU.
Peter Lindelauf

Post by Peter Lindelauf »

Very entertaining, Doug.
...but you are the music / while the music lasts (TS Eliot)
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Doug Beaumier wrote:... The pickup is a single coil, black, with non-adjustable poles. I think it's pre-P-90...
Thanks Doug, so its probably one of the six string versions like was found on the Console Grand 8.
I've used a couple of Lollars 8 string reproductions and they have that same sweet voice. In a recent chat with Jason, he said that although its not on his site, he does do the 6 string reproduction too.

Mike D

Post by Mike D »

YeeeeeeeHaaaaw! :mrgreen:
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Here's a picture of the pickup. It measures a very healthy 7.65K ohms. Most of the vintage non-pedal steels I've owned measured about 5K to 6K. I got lucky with this one. In fact, I suspect that the PU may have been rewound at some point. It sure sounds hot! 8)

norm mcdaniel

ghost riders

Post by norm mcdaniel »

Doug-it is amazing to me how you get so much outta that 6 string. Im not sure why I would want any other tuning. Also some fine chicken pickin.

Norm in Waco :) :) :) :D
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

...love it!
...finger harmonics __ good touch.
Travis Hillis

Post by Travis Hillis »

That was great!
Lee Gillespie

Shost Riders

Post by Lee Gillespie »

YAAAAAA DOUG. Great version and great job. Thanks for letting us hear it. Lee
Henry Songer

Gost Ryders in the Sky

Post by Henry Songer »

Doug, That was great. You certainly give us beginners something to aspire to. If you ever publish the TABs for that please let me know. Henry
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

I always enjoy your recordings Doug. That little Gibson sounds mighty sweeeeeet too! :)
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks to all for the kind comments! I appreciate it. 8)
A. J. Martinez

Post by A. J. Martinez »

Hey Doug, you are a great player. I just ordered your c6 book.I learned to play e9 pedal from your E9 book. I was wondering what size tonebar you use for your lap playing? Thank you A.J.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks A.J.! I just received your order and I'll ship it to you immediately, thanks.
I was wondering what size tonebar you use for your lap playing?
I use a Dunlop 918, the "Jerry Byrd Model", 3/4" x 2 15/16", 5.5 oz., stainless steel, bullet nose.
A. J. Martinez

Post by A. J. Martinez »

Doug...Thank you...A.J.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I got a couple of emails asking about the effects I'm using in the video:

Steel---> Sarno Black Box (tube filter)---> Boss DD-6 delay---> Nashville 112 amp.
Jerry Gleason

Post by Jerry Gleason »

That was pretty cool, Doug. Brought back some memories, too. That was the first tune I learned on six-string (not steel), back about 1962. There was an instrumental version by Lawrence Welk that was popular around that time, with Neil LeVang on guitar, I believe. Kind of Duane Eddy style, IIRC.

Nice work.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks Jerry. I remember hearing this tune by Frankie Laine, Johnny Cash, and Marty Robbins. The instrumental version that stands out in my mind is The Ventures surf/rock/fast 2-beat. That's the one I tried to emulate in this video. 8)
Alan Dickey

Ghost Riders

Post by Alan Dickey »

Doug...

Great job on this!!!! Please let me know if this will be available in tab and how much. Bought your C6 book as soon as it came out. Am really enjoying it!!!. Are you planning on doing another?? Is there a book out there for E tuning for non pedal?

Thanks much...

Alan Dickey
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks Alan, I appreciate your kind comments. Yes, I'd like to include this song in a future book/CD... not sure when that would be though. It takes me about five months to complete a book and CDs, and I'm booked solid until after Labor Day, so it won't be anytime soon.

As far as E tuning materials... check the Forum catalog for some E13 instruction. There may be some E tuning tab out there, I don't know. thanks again.
Ron Yarboro

Re: Ghost Riders

Post by Ron Yarboro »

Alan Dickey wrote:Doug...

Great job on this!!!! Please let me know if this will be available in tab and how much. Bought your C6 book as soon as it came out. Am really enjoying it!!!. Are you planning on doing another?? Is there a book out there for E tuning for non pedal?

Thanks much...

Alan Dickey
Hi Doug,
That's a great video. I would also be interested in purchasing a tab of your arrangement. Despite being new to steel, I would prefer that you not make the solo easier. I like a challenge. I also plan on purchasing your C6 book soon. Thanks for posting the video.

Ron
Last edited by Ron Yarboro on 9 Aug 2010 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.