early darrel mccal records

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Daniel McKee

early darrel mccal records

Post by Daniel McKee »

i have been wondering if darrel mccal released any records in the 1950s i know he was singing backup for some country singers at the time. it would have been late 1950s.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Darrells' first solo recordings were done at the Starday studios in Nashville in 1960 and resulted in two 45's being released in Europe. His first full LP was entitled Meet Darrell McCall and was released on the Wayside label in 1968. Lloyd Green on steel.
Rebel�
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

Graham,
Thats the kind of info makes this Forum such a cool place! :)
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Darrel McCall and Johnny Paycheck originally billed themselves as the "Young Brothers" when they first hit Nashville from Ohio.

Paycheck's real name is Donny Young.
David Tunnell

Post by David Tunnell »

There is a Bear Family boxed set of him, too. Like all Bear Family boxed sets, it is expensive, but good.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Mccall-Darre ... 661&sr=8-7
Very truly yours,
David T. Tunnell
Alesis QS8; Peavey KB/A 300; Peavey KB5; BMI U-12; Session 500
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

i have seen the bear family collection but it is expensive did darrel mcall release any recordings with johnny paycheck while they were the young brothers.
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

There are no recordings as "The Young Brothers".

Paycheck did record as "Donny Young" for Decca on some recordings and those recordings do have a harmony singer. Tracks like "Above and Beyond" and "Heart Over Mind". I'm not sure if McCall is the harmony singer since I don't have the CD notes in front of me.

I have a transcription recording on which a "Don Abram" is introduced by Patsy Cline as a Decca artist. Abram sings "Love Walked In" and at the end of the performance, Patsy mentions that the harmony singer was "a little fella by the name of Darrell Young"!!

I've wondered if "Darrell Young" is in fact Darrell McCall during the "Young Brothers" era?? The era is right--this transcription is from June 1960.

Here it is:

http://picosong.com/yZY

Is there any chance "Darrell Young" is Darrell McCall or that "Don Abram" is Paycheck?

The first disc of the Bear box documents Darrell's solo career prior to the Wayside LP shown above. He had been playing hard core country with Price and Faron, but his solo career was really scattered, with some forays into rock and pop--including a cool cover version of Larry Finnegans' great "Dear One"---which Darrell managed to get out on a major label (Capitol). It sank without a trace.

The Wayside LP shown above was released twice. The one shown above is the original pressing with the "rainbow" effect on the cover. The later version did not have the rainbow--and if I recall correctly, the later version did not include "Likes Of Polly".

Good decision--"Likes Of Polly" is the worst thing he ever recorded and contains one of the worst lines I ever heard in a country song--something about "Polly is unsaturated with me" or similar. I refuse to listen to it.
Jack Harper

Post by Jack Harper »

....snd i am curious as to the album that darrell did for a new texas label around 1978. the release date was to be around thanksgiving and they did a showcase of the album on tnn, the show where the bandstand is backed by a big window, a live audience and the tablecloths are checkerd and each week they would feature a new album release. thst show went away too! as did tnn.
the owner of the label died and the plug was pulled, but there was some product on the streets and it vanished. i remember that i thought this would be the one that went all the way for him. which it did.
all the way out of existance.
the cuts were great. how i wish i had a copy of it.
any body know about this, or am i dreamin'?
country...........
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Jack:

You may be thinking of "Hot Texas Country", which I think was partially Johnny Bush and had tracks like "Wait Till The Sun Shines Nellie".

Get it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Country-Dar ... B000000P7V

Or maybe the fantastic "Texas Dance Hall Music" released on the Hillside label from Texas. These were duets with both Ray Sanders and Curtis Potter. This LP is one of the 2 or 3 best ever in its style.

Listen and get it here:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hillsiderecords

Darrell made an LP for Columbia in the 70s called "Lily Dale", but I'm sure you are familiar with it.
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

did darrel mccall release many records in the early sixties i havent seen many by him.
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

no
Jack Harper

Post by Jack Harper »

mitch.....
that wasn't it.
i do remember that one of the songs was titled
"two steps from the juke box" ...a great 4/4
he did the song when i saw him at a dancehall in
ft worth. might have been billy bobs, sometime in the 80's, i think. never heard it again anywhere.
i remember that he said that waylon jennings turned him on to the song.
country........
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Jack:

Darrell did record that song. The full title is Two Steps From The Jukebox (and Three Sheets In The Wind).

It was released on 45 rpm LPR 1002. The flip side was Saddle The Stallion.

It was recorded in March 1981 in Nashville with Buddy Emmons. Some of the other songs from that session also appeared on 45, but there was no LP at the time.

I'm trying to find out right now if there is a CD with that song and will let you know what I find out in this thread.
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Jack:

Here is the original session information from 1981:

26 March 1981 [18:00-21:00] Groundstar Laboratory, Music Circle South, Nashville, TN – Darrell McCall, *& Mona McCall (Don Roth, Billy Sanford, Buddy Emmons, Sonny Garrish, Gerald Dees, Thomas Cogbill, Jerry Carrigan, Robert Ogdin, Hargus Robbins + vocal chorus. Producer: Rob Galbraith)

129 LWA5-6364 MARRIED WOMEN unissued
130 LWA5-6365 AFTERNOON RENDEZVOUS* Joker 101/SOR 0017
131 LWA5-6366 JUST RIDIN' THROUGH JOKER Joker 101/SOR 0017

132 MEMPHIS IN MAY Indigo ID45-304
133 SHE CALLS ME CRAZY ID45-304

134 SADDLE THE STALLION LPR-1002
135 TWO STEPS FROM THE JUKEBOX LPR-1002

Afternoon Rendezvous and Just Ridin’ Through are on the McCall/Bush LP “Hot Texas Country” and on the Bear Family box.

Two Steps From The Jukebox and Saddle The Stallion were released on 45 RPM LPR 1002.

Memphis In May came out in 1984 on Indigo 45 RPM 304. The only copies of the 45 I have ever seen have the same song on both sides.

Married Women appears on the Bear Family box.

She Calls Me Crazy may remain unissued?

I can’t find any evidence yet that Two Steps From The Jukebox is on CD.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've got a couple of "rehearsal" CD's of Darrell, one is from a live show in Houston (with Randy Rheinhart on Steel) and the other apparently is either one of his CD's or a compilation from his CD's. Great music, and unfortunately the shows he was going to do here in Florida, at the time, got cancelled.

Fellow Steeler Lou Rochelle was the main writer on "Still A Lot Of Love In San Antone" that he recorded.
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

i know darrel mccall tried a career at acting did he release any songs in this period of time or did he quit singing for a while i think this was 1965 to about 1968.
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

what were the titles of the first two singles released on starday.
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Darrell McCall had no singles released on Starday.
Jeff Agnew

Post by Jeff Agnew »

Paycheck's real name is Donny Young.
His real name was Donald Lytle. Or, at least that's what was on the 1099 he sent me.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Darrell had two singles released on Starday but they were only released in Europe. They were recorded at the Starday studio in Nashville in 1960 and the songs were "Excuse Me, I Think I've Got A Heartache" (Starday 9.34.006#) and "Lonely River Rhine" (Starday 9.34.003#).
Rebel�
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

was one of the songs on the flip side of one of the records this old heart.
Graham

Post by Graham »

"This Old Heart" was never released by Starday, either on single or lp. I should qualify my above answer, both of those songs were on the same record.
Rebel�
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

what were the songs on the other starday record did anybody release this old heart.
Darrell Criswell

Post by Darrell Criswell »

here's a great discography of Darrell, mainly from the bear family material

http://countrydiscography.blogspot.com/ ... chive.html
Graham

Post by Graham »

"This Old Heart" was released in 1965 by a Nashville pop/rock trio called the "Newbeats" on an lp from Hickory Records.
Rebel�