Who builds the best pedal steel?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Chris Right On! ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I have owned two Sho-Buds, one a Maverick and a Pro-III, and an Emmons.I even had the chance to sit down behind a Zum recently. The Emmons and the Zum,to me are the best for sound. Gosh that's a hard decision to make becuase there are so many great steels out on the market today. Such as Rains, Mullen, Pedalmaster, MSA, and Carter. It's really hard to decide.
Tommy Shown
SMFTBL
Robert Parent

Post by Robert Parent »

I have owned most every brand at one time or another and my 1989 Zum D10 is the best thus far.
Robert
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Michael Douchette wrote:Over the years, I have had a Franklin, several push-pull Emmons, and several Sho-Buds. (Living here in Nashville, that's kinda what was here.) Hands down, the best recording guitar I've ever owned is my Zum Stage One. It has the best presence in a track over any of them, and for me, that is most important. YMMV.
This is puzzling me... :? , i've heard only good things about the Zum Stage-One steel guitar as one of the best student model out there but...how can someone compare a 1200$ PSG to a 7000$ Franklin or Emmons ect... and say that the Zum student model sounds better?, something ain't right here, i have never play a Stage One or a Franklin so someone enlight me please cause i'm confuse :eek:
Comeau SD10 4x5, Comeau S10 3x5, Peavey Session 500,Fender Telecaster,Fender Stratocaster, Fender Precision,1978 Ovation Viper electric. Alvarez 4 strings Violin electric.

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

Pat, the only enlightenment I can add to my post is that while the odds of an expensive instrument sounding better than a less expensive one are higher, it doesn't mean that it's a rule. (The late Jimmy Colvard, who played lead on countless sessions, had a $99 Univox Les Paul copy that was his main guitar.)

In my years of recording (since 1974), the Stage One that I currently own and use is the best sounding guitar in a track that I've had. It's not just my opinion; I've had many other players and engineers remark about the excellence of the sound.

One does not have to spend a huge amount; one does need to shop around, however, and find what is the best for oneself.
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Louie Hallford

Land of theFreeeee and the Hooome of the Braaave!!!!!

Post by Louie Hallford »

Sho-Bud,MSA,Emmons,Mullins are guitars I have owned, or now own.

Derby,Carter,Zum,Marrs,Justice,Rains,Blanton,
Fender,Exel,Williams,and least two or three others that I can't recall,are guitars I have tried out.

My opinion although I have never owned one,is that the Zum guitar is the most most well constructed,quietest,easiest playing guitars I have ever played. Most Mullin guitars and especially the new G2,in my opinion runs a close second.

The best sounding guitar I ever owned payed or heard, was a 1965 push pull in mint condition,that belonged to Gary Hogue when he died. My wife could be in the back of the house and could get it right 100% of the time when I would swap amp cords between it and my early (92 or 93) LeGrande,which I love and still have.

My personal sound preference is Emmons, I have a very slight preference for the G2 sound over the Zum. If I was buying new today,I would try them both again before I bought.Emmons would not be one of my choices today.
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

What Keith Murro said. :)

I heard any guitar sounds as good as a push/pull if you rub peanut butter on the strings and paint it black. So just get a Carter starter and some non-crunchy Jiff. :lol:
Glyndon Woosley

Post by Glyndon Woosley »

A few months ago I bought a Sierra Session. At first it seemed much different from the others that I've owned or played. But the more I play it, the more I like it (I think more than the others). I'm wondering now why this brand is not mentioned or seemingly "not liked". Is there a problem with them that I haven't noticed? I would like to hear what some others think about the Sierra.
Sierra Session D10, Rickenbacker, Fender, Session 400, Classic 30, Harke
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

These "best" discussions can get quite lengthy... :|
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Out of the ones I have owned
Best built, Thomas
Best sound, Emmons PP
Best action, Carter
Best in coolness ZB
Best price Free Thanks Larry!
Best color Black
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Michael Douchette wrote: In my years of recording (since 1974), the Stage One that I currently own and use is the best sounding guitar in a track that I've had. It's not just my opinion; I've had many other players and engineers remark about the excellence of the sound.

One does not have to spend a huge amount; one does need to shop around, however, and find what is the best for oneself.
So you see Pat, your Comeau or my BenRom might be downright amazing sounding. Plus they both look cool and everything else
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

I believe the best steels to be:
Carter, Emmons, Williams, Excel, Zum, Rittenberry, Rains, Anapeg, Show Pro, Mullen, MSA, Jackson, Promat, ... and a few others.
Then there's a bunch of other ones that are just as good...
1983 Emmons D10 SKH, Carter SD10, Nashville 112, Session 500, ProfexII, Lapsteels, GT-Beard reso, guitars of all kinds...
http://www.myspace.com/ulfedlund
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

I think someone need to make a "BRAND X"! :roll:
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Bruce Zumsteg and Jeff Surratt would be my 2 top choice guitar builders .... :D
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Any steel that Lloyd,Buddy,Tommy,Paul, are connected to! 8)
And of course many others
Brad Malone

3 biggies

Post by Brad Malone »

Hey Chuck, Lloyd, Mike Johnson and Tommy white all like SHOW-PRO...not a bad trio to listen in on.
Chris Lang

Post by Chris Lang »

EMMONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, When it is all said and done, they are compared to an Emmons
What?
Holy Toledo!

Emmons has done their best to run their business in the ground with their "customer service"

Comparing another steel guitar to an Emmons is NOT a compliment!

Sheesh........
:(
NOTE FROM ADMIN: The "Chris Lang" account was determined to be fraudulent.
Many posts made from this account were deliberate attempts to undermine the integrity of other Forum members.
Many statements made by this user were knowingly false and inflammatory, a disruptive technique known as <i>trolling.</i>
The "Chris Lang" account has been permanently deactivated.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Have we ascertained which is best yet?
Adam Goodale

Post by Adam Goodale »

Chris Lang wrote:
EMMONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, When it is all said and done, they are compared to an Emmons
What?
Holy Toledo!

Emmons has done their best to run their business in the ground with their "customer service"

Comparing another steel guitar to an Emmons is NOT a compliment!

Sheesh........

:(
I think what he meant was that most of us compare the SOUND of other guitars to an Emmons. (preferably a P/P) haha. I know i do.
Emmons P/P's into the loudest amp I can get ahold of. No effects other than reverb. EVER!. Come catch a show and be sure and say hi!
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

I do. Hands Down.

My Brother runs a close 2nd.
Adam Goodale

Post by Adam Goodale »

Mike Mantey wrote:I do. Hands Down.

My Brother runs a close 2nd.
Mike, i got to play a G2 briefly a couple of weeks ago, and even though im an Emmons man, i will admit, the G2 had the best pedal/lever action of ANY guitar ive ever touched. And it sounded as good as any all-pull guitar ive ever played also. Just wanted to give you my feedback.
Emmons P/P's into the loudest amp I can get ahold of. No effects other than reverb. EVER!. Come catch a show and be sure and say hi!
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

Here's a guy who made a cheap six string electric guitar sound pretty good. I wonder what ever became of him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtznA8yKyAA
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

wow..ol' glen's got some energy goin' for him there (dancing)!
interesting the 'west coast style' of guitar and steel on that swing tune. don't know who gene davis is...i thought it looked like hal rugg on that fender steel. yeah..it doesn't matter what you play on...just that what you play is cool..hopefully!
Steve Stallings

Post by Steve Stallings »

uhhmmm.. what was the question? :lol:

I'm pretty sure I like em all!
Steve Stallings
Emmons Legrande II 8X5
Billy Carr
Restricted

psg

Post by Billy Carr »

I believe it's who is sitting behind it that really matters. Pedal steel guitar builders have advanced a great deal over the last 30 years or so. I don't really see a clear #1 or #2 guitar out there. But in my opinion, here's my top five: Rains(with the upgrade), any pro model Mullen guitar, Williams, Excel and the Show-Pro guitars. (Not in this particular order)What am I playing at the moment? A CarpSteel. I've got it smooth as butter and plays like a dream. Great session guitar also. Next week it might be something else. My only requirement is, an all pull changer. I don't care for the pull release system. Interesting topic here!