Rittenberry or GFI ultra s10...what would you choose and why

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Benjamin Wolfram

Rittenberry or GFI ultra s10...what would you choose and why

Post by Benjamin Wolfram »

There aren't a lot of pedal steels to choose from here in Australia but two have come up on the second hand market...a gfi ultra s10 and a rittenberry s10. Both seemingly great condition but I don't know too much about the instruments yet, only that I want one so I can start playing ;)

In your collected expert opinions which would you choose and why...the rittenberry is more expensive but I don't mind paying if it's worth it.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

One consideration is weight of the instrument. Both of these brands are good guitars, but the Rittenberry is much heavier than the GFI.
I started out on an MSA, a very heavy, solid guitar, and I like the feel of a solid guitar. The Rittenberry is built like that, very solid and substantial. It also plays nicely and sounds good.
I tried out a GFI in a store a few years ago, and it felt too light to me. I had the feeling that the whole guitar would go sideways when I used a knee lever. However, there are some great players like Mike Sigler playing GFI guitars and getting a great sound. The GFI is a pro-level guitar, and if you like a lighter weight instrument you may want to go that way. Either one would be a good choice...
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Get the Ritt!!!!!! :D
Chuck Snider

Post by Chuck Snider »

I Have to agree with Larry. I have a GFI Ultra U-12, I bought it new and have been very pleased with it. It is easy to work on if you should want or need to. Sounds great, I've swapped out the pickup from the stock E-66, to a TrueTone, and now to an Alumitone and it sounded great with each one, but I prefer the Alumitone. It is relatively lightweight (which does matter when you're lugging it around. However, I have not yet had any problems with it being unstable or moving around while I play. I don't think you would be disappointed with the GFI as it is a well made guitar. As Larry said the Rittenberry may seem a bit more substantial due to the different design and materials. But, for what it's worth, I also have a Carter (which is not a Rittenberry) and I have found that the GFI and the Carter each have some aspects which the other doesn't have which are in my opinion a bit better than the other. My point with that is I would bet if you had those two guitars side by side, you would find some aspects of each that are better than the other. However, with the Rittenberry being a bit higher priced, the Rittenberry may have better resale later should you ever decide to sell it. You have a tough decision to make, though I don't think you'll go wrong with either one. Not sure I've helped or not.

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Carl Kilmer

Post by Carl Kilmer »

I would go for the Rittenberry. It is a bit heavier,
but it is one of the finest steel guitars made today.
Very easy & smooth action, with super sound & sustain.
Everything is very easy to adjust for action & comfort.
Last edited by Carl Kilmer on 30 Jul 2010 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka "Lucky Kay"--Custom built Rittenberry SD10 3X5, Walker S/S, NV-112, and Hilton Pedal
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Ritt = :D
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Ritt, hands down.
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Jim Hollingsworth

Ritt!!!!!!

Post by Jim Hollingsworth »

I agree with the Rittenberry group...........
Ritt is one of the best guitars being built today and hands down has the best tone.
Charlie Thompson

Post by Charlie Thompson »

I've owned several GFI and loved em. Then Gary built me a guitar. I believe the Rittenberry is a better playng and sounding guitar
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Ritt, hands down and pedals down!. Not all that heavy, tone to the bone, great resale value, actually, just about as good as it gets and they look much much better to me than a GFI! YMMV.
Again, GET THE RITT!!!!! :D
Bryan Ritter

Rittenberry or GFI ultra S10 - what would you choose and why

Post by Bryan Ritter »

I just bought a 2009 Rittenberry S10 and have to agree with all the Rittenberry group. I have a CMI D10 with 8 & 7 and age has dictated I must get lighter weight. I am a retired mechanical engineer and the design of the mechanisms underneath pedal steels is a major issue to me. I shopped the Forum for 4 weeks, looking at photos of the underside of guitars. I could tell the ones with the better looking parts and pieces and the one I chose was the Rittenberry. Many others had good design, but the guitar I chose was only 9 months old and the price was right. When I got it, I was really impressed. It had every adjustment that any player would want to make and all of them were so easy using only a small hex wrench. You won't go wrong with the Rittenberry!!!
Jody Cameron

Post by Jody Cameron »

I've played a Rittenberry for several years now and I like it. I just heard a song writer demo recording I did in a Houston studio recently and it sits in the mix very well.
jc
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Hey Benjamin
I'm sure either guitar would be good . GFI for the weight and tone .Rit for the tone and weight .
Whatever you choose I could be interested in the other .Shoot me a PM .
Also there is an MSA SD12 on brissteelguitar as well as an old maple ShoBud Maverick on OZ ebay .
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Question: How many knee levers does each one have? You need 4 preferably 5. Some GFIs student models only have 2. If this GFI only has 2, get the Ritt.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Re: Rittenberry or GFI ultra s10...what would you choose and

Post by Mark Eaton »

Benjamin Wolfram wrote: two have come up on the second hand market...a gfi ultra s10 and a rittenberry s10.
Mike, a GFI student model isn't part of the equation. The Ultra comes with four knee levers as standard.
Mark
Brandon Ordoyne

Post by Brandon Ordoyne »

I have played my Rittenberry since March of 2009 and I have been very pleased with it :) I have maybe used my 74 Emmons D10 twice since I bought the Ritt! Plus Gary is a remarkable craftsman! :) I would say go with the Ritt.. :)
'74 Emmons D10 P/P 8x5,'15 Rittenberry D10 8x5, Peavey Nashville 112, 400 & 1000, Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master, Hilton, Goodrich L120, Boss DD-3 and RV-3
Mike Perlowin

Re: Rittenberry or GFI ultra s10...what would you choose and

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Mark Eaton wrote:
Benjamin Wolfram wrote: two have come up on the second hand market...a gfi ultra s10 and a rittenberry s10.
Mike, a GFI student model isn't part of the equation. The Ultra comes with four knee levers as standard.
Oh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Dan Blaisdell

Post by Dan Blaisdell »

I bought a used GFI Ultra SD10 2 years ago and have really enjoyed it as a beginner moving to intermediate. But, if I could get a Rittenberry for about the same price and in the same shape I would buy that instead. Check out this Bobbe Seymour video and you'll see why - for the sound - get the Rit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba7dSHgqQkk

I've never heard a Rit live, but I can tell that for my taste it sounds better than a GFI.

Good luck!
GFI Ultra SD10 3+4,[Sarno Black Box], Hilton VP, Zoom MS-50, Special 130, Walker cases, Cobra Coil strings/bar, Not enough time.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

I really don't need another guitar, but I will have a new Rittenberry in about a month. Gary is very accommodating and the craftsmanship of his guitars is obvious. I'm sure the GFI is fine, but it's more of a mass produced guitar, while the Rittenberry is more of a custom guitar. I am very much looking forward to getting it.
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

One Happy Camper :)

Jim Hollingsworth

Post by Jim Hollingsworth »

Rittenberry = Ferrari

GFI = Ford

I agree with Steve English. My Ritt is my #1 guitar and will remain so. The weight is only slightly heavier. The construction - better (tho' GFI is well built).
But where it counts is in the TONE..............

Jim[/b]
Chris Lang

Post by Chris Lang »

Rittenberry = Ferrari

GFI = Space Shuttle!

Bill says:
I'm sure the GFI is fine, but it's more of a mass produced guitar, while the Rittenberry is more of a custom guitar.
Well, that statement makes the case. GFIs are mass produced due to the fact that they are in such demand!

Go with the GFI. It is light years ahead of its time. If you are lucky enough to find a keyless, SNATCH it up. There are too many advantages with a keyless. Do a forum search and you will see. Gene Fields is a master builder with a lot of years invested.
NOTE FROM ADMIN: The "Chris Lang" account was determined to be fraudulent.
Many posts made from this account were deliberate attempts to undermine the integrity of other Forum members.
Many statements made by this user were knowingly false and inflammatory, a disruptive technique known as <i>trolling.</i>
The "Chris Lang" account has been permanently deactivated.
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

I've never played a Rittenberry, but I do own a GFI Ultra Keyless single and love it. It is sooo light and sounds great.
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

Another vote for the Rittenberry!!
1983 Emmons D10 SKH, Carter SD10, Nashville 112, Session 500, ProfexII, Lapsteels, GT-Beard reso, guitars of all kinds...
http://www.myspace.com/ulfedlund
Steve Spitz

Apples vs. Oranges

Post by Steve Spitz »

QUICK:
Somebody call Ralph Mooney, Norm Hamlett, Ronnie Miley?(with Charlie Pride) and Mike Sigler, and let them know they chose the wrong Steel
guitar.